The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

I think this information can help many decide if crossing over is a good choice from them.

I have read Dr. Shipko's book, and also spoken with him, it was some time back.

It is good to have various medical personnel who work with benzo withdraw to present different perspectives and options.

Heather Ashton is no doubt the queen of benzo withdraw, and her work is invaluable. However, as new information comes to light (such as the referenced paper and study on crossing over to valium,) it is good to have providers who are aware of these potential problems.

I wish we had as many medical personnel who choose to pursue helping people get off benzo's safely and effectively as we do those who prescribe them without informed consent!!

Baddove - I agree - that’s cool you got to talk with Dr. Shipko.  It was his book and Ashton’s Manual  plus the stories here on BB that influenced my decision to do a direct dry taper.  Im halfway there and far it’s going smoothly. 😀

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this information can help many decide if crossing over is a good choice from them.

I have read Dr. Shipko's book, and also spoken with him, it was some time back.

It is good to have various medical personnel who work with benzo withdraw to present different perspectives and options.

Heather Ashton is no doubt the queen of benzo withdraw, and her work is invaluable. However, as new information comes to light (such as the referenced paper and study on crossing over to valium,) it is good to have providers who are aware of these potential problems.

I wish we had as many medical personnel who choose to pursue helping people get off benzo's safely and effectively as we do those who prescribe them without informed consent!!

Baddove - I agree - that’s cool you got to talk with Dr. Shipko.  It was his book and Ashton’s Manual  plus the stories here on BB that influenced my decision to do a direct dry taper.  Im halfway there and far it’s going smoothly. 😀

Did Dr. Shipko have any thoughts on reinstating after a CT depending upon prior usage?  Just curious if there were any differing opinions on it.

I don't know. But, I doubt it. His agenda was as successful and slow a taper as possible to avoid that situation. He first wants a patient to get stable, even if that means an updose , then taper. A very slow taper. At least that was his position when I talked with him a few years ago.

Nine months tomorrow since I jumped.

I’ve had every symptom in the book. This month has been particularly hard, I had a thoat infection and had to take antibiotics. Now I’ve had a headache and brain fog for eight days, doctors have given me anti inflammatory medications, but they ruin my stomach and do nothing for my head. I’m desperate.

This headache episode started after chatting with an old friend for a long time, the following day I had a this headache.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Demelza, I am so sorry for your pain. It is a common experience (for me) to go into a wave on antibiotics, NSAID"S, even my migraine medication. Too much stimulation can also get me (Like you talking with your friend.)

I refuse to take anything unless I am going to die if I don't at this time.

It is not uncommon for your CNS to take time to heal once you are off the benzo.

These two forums should be a good place for you:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Also, please read this if you have not already, it will answer many of your questions:

What is happening in your brain?

Other members replying to your posts generally prefer to know where you are in the process, so if you'd like, here's how to add your benzodiazepine information automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your pertinent info (benzodiazepine, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Please stay in touch, we care :smitten:

-Baddove

Thank you so much!

I needed this post badly, I forget I’m recovering and take for granted that I need peace and that I’m not ready to rehash the past with friends or take extra responsibilities.  I was near to nervous breakdown when I stopped the  Gabapentin, and after that I started tapering and jump from years of Xanax. It took me two years to jump and it’s only being nine months. I’ve been overstimulated.

Thanks again..

13years 6mlg daily xanax, cold turkey july 2019 7 months free of xanax. Starting to see light at the end of the long ass tunnel .Finally able to get outside again. Its still hard to talk to people. My dog has really helped she is always there. Tinnitus is really bad but starting to get used to it i might just have it for now on.stopped losing so much weight starting to gain back.My eyes still bother the shit out of me.i can tell its going to be better it really a slow process rome wasn't built in ayear.. I guess i will just hang not much of a choice.  :idiot:

Hi Marly bob,

Just keep going. It will be better day by day. At month 8 I've been able to start to work, not every day, but I could. I used to walk a lot, hundreds and hundreds of miles. I took a lots of vitamins. But the important is to find something what keeps your brain busy.

I am not 100% but it's 100% better now then with the drugs. I can tell you how the time is going the sympthoms will be less and less stronger.

Hi Buddies.  I'm feeling pretty sketchy today.  It's day 3 of my last cut, which eliminated my middle of the night dose and puts me at the half-way mark.  Yay!

For the first time in 21 years I'm dosing 3 times a day.  But I'm waking up around 4:30 and having sx's till I can take my am dose around 6 am.  Had some panic-anxiety at Walmart yesterday - but who doesn't at Walmart!  :crazy: .  Thankfully the distraction made it go away by the time I was done.

Hoping I'll adjust within a week like I have so far with every cut.  I'm thinking this might be a good time to hold for a month instead of my usual two weeks. 

Hope everyone's hanging in there.  :)

Is anyone suffering with tinnitus (ear ringing).  This is absolutely my worst symptom during Xanax withdrawal.  It is usually accompanied by sever nasal congestion and muscle aches in my neck and shoulder.  Ringing causes insomnia and headaches that are fierce.  Is there any relief from this awfulness?

Is anyone suffering with tinnitus (ear ringing).  This is absolutely my worst symptom during Xanax withdrawal.  It is usually accompanied by sever nasal congestion and muscle aches in my neck and shoulder.  Ringing causes insomnia and headaches that are fierce.  Is there any relief from this awfulness?

gather up on patience and use sound maskers, there are apps for the phone or you could buy a standalone unit like this one: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsound+machine.TRS0&_nkw=sound+machine&_sacat=0

it helps falling asleep at night

this will take a while to go but it will get better

I had tinnitus that got much better with time, I could hardly notice it, but recently I got a very strong headache and it came back, hopefully it will disappear again. So it is possible for it to get better. I used a white sound machine next to my bed with the sound lower than my tinnitus.

Fingers crossed.

I’ve had non stop tinnitus for about 15 years, so it’s not from withdrawal.  But I’ve been on Xanax for 21 years and wonder if that’s what causing it. Demelza, did you have tinnitus before you started tapering?

• 4 weeks later...
Good afternoon -This is my first day in this group. I had a very, very, hard time finding a recent Xanax taper support group so I am here by serendipity! Quick story, I have been in a wonderful Ativan Taper group almost a year ago. I take Ativan for sleep only and have tapered from 4mg to 0.14mg in 11 months. I have also been taking 1 mg Xanax the entire time, 45 minutes before the Ativan, to help potentiate the Ativan and make me sleep. Sleep preservation is critical to me and I am shocked that I have gone down to 0.14mg and still sleep the same as 4mg. My psych doc knows nothing about tapering Benzos so my group was my entire support to taper. Now I am wondering what to do about my Xanax now. If I don't take the Xanax I absolutely cannot. I ran out of a dose a couple times. I am an RN and something tells me I should begin a micro taper now of the Xanax too. Any ideas my new friends? My psyc does say that tapering off Xanax is harder than Ativan. Powerball   

I can't tell from your post and history if you have finished the ativan taper? My general advice is to do one drug at a time. Once the first drug is finished, wait a while to stabilize, it will take time for your CNS to continue healing even after you finish the taper.

Once you feel stable, and/or highly motivated, start the second taper (xanax.)

For advice on tapering xanax, most of us have to go slow and go low. That means small cuts, mostly because this drug is so strong, and our bodies react to cuts we don't expect them too. Start with a small cut, then hold until stable to determine the rate of time your body best copes with between cuts. You can go to the taper support board for more general advice.

• 2 months later...
[cd...]
Does any one else get really hot and a fever like feeling with their bedtime xanax dose? it doesnt happen every night but when it does it ruins any chance of sleep for the night, is it a sign of a too fast taper? I taper .003 per night but having a 3 night in a row sleep issue so i may need to hold which ive never really done. I dont know why the medication has switched on me and is making me hot and a poor reaction just now :/

I have been Benzo free for almost 18 months after 20 years of Xanax usage. I still feel like death most days and have no life. This poison has ruined my life completely. If anybody has actually healed from this I’d love to hear about it!

I jumped last week. Today is day #9. I was on 1 mg a day for 2 years. I spent 2 years tapering.

So far so good.

Good day Piano Girl

I have been on a very vibrant Ativan support group and after 1 yr 3mo and 5 days I graduated. I am still on 1mg of Xanax, and  I need to taper off. I am surprised there are almost no current Xanax support groups here. I hope we can perk this one up. I need personal tapering relationships, not just reading old diaries. Since I jumped on May 25, I am giving myself a week until I begin. What is your current dose? Powerball.

Bad Dove...Last week I jumped from 4mg of Ativan. It took 1 yr 3 mo. 5 days. I simply do not have 2 ys. to get off this 1 mg of Xanax. My psych said Xanax would be harder. That absolutely horrifies me. Powerball.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi xanax peeps. I'm really needing input on possible ways I can stabilize out of DR & visual distortions. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read. I'm at a point of desperation. I'll copy paste from another post what's going on it should contain all info that could help.

I've made several posts about my Derealization & visual distortions 24 /7 for months.

I know we aren't doctors, but I'm just needing someone that must have ideas to help me, please. More ideas than I have. I Havnt gotten much feedback on what to do to stabilize.

I can't judge visually, emotionally, nor cognitively what's going on. I can't drive. I'm not in severe with drawl but the DR & visual distortions started sometime soon after I switched out half my clonazapam that I'm pretty tolerant to(most of its effectiveness, anxiety, panic, 𝗦𝗹𝗲𝗲𝗽) plus am having bad mood swings, morning anxiety, cog fog, poor short term memory, irrational irritability, fatigue. Super depression, but have good moments & longterm TRD is my thing.

I feel like I need a plan to stabilize out of the DR visual stuff & at least & then taper. I could then take a walk. Drive, look at nature & my loved ones & self & recognize what is real.

I'm awful with scales, math etc. But think scale dry cut will be my only way. Maybe learning that could help me stabilize? Like even I should weigh my .25 Xanax taken as needed during the day?

I'm feeling like at this point maybe I should just dry eyebal cut & go faster to get out of this dysfunctional state. I have so far to go to taper properly, which I don't even know what that is anymore with these symptoms.

If anyone can help or knows someone that can please chime in.

Was thinking risky but maybe need to cross all to diazepam for taper simplicity sake & to hopefully stabilize & get off these dang things. Sorry whiny bad day.

My other threads that might have helpful info

Think my first post on recent symptoms, others have similar, but are off or much lower than me, no plan

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=240273.msg3076903#msg3076903

Early pst on this,y symptoms

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241311.msg3087097#msg3087097

Visuals from Xanax? Symptoms my experience explained

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241324.msg3087178#msg3087178

Crossing from 2-1/cross back to clonazepam?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241396.msg3087939#msg3087939

Crossing from X & K to V

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241784.msg3091768#msg3091768

Member suggest Ross to all V

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241274.msg3086931#msg3086931

Thanks

SCAREDIE

• 3 weeks later...

Heading into day 6 with my first cut of 0.125mg from my 1mg which I have been on for just over 1 yr. I just tapered off Ativan 4 mg after 1 yr 7 weeks about a month ago.

Now I have the second fu...ign benzo. My psych today said the 1 mg usually takes 6 mo. to get off. Since I was taking my Xanax just to potentiate my Ativan for sleep, I am going to go slower to make sure my sleep consolidation holds. My benchmark is 8 mo.  I also take 1 gram of depakote, for which I am lucky enough to get a somnolent effect.

I am suddenly getting nausea every early evening before dinner. Is this normal? Last, I do very very precise cuts with a blade to make sure I am 98% absolutely taking the same dose every night. I hope to get to know you folks. My Ativan group was the best. They actually saved my life when I literally did not know what to do. Powerball

Bad Dove...Last week I jumped from 4mg of Ativan. It took 1 yr 3 mo. 5 days. I simply do not have 2 ys. to get off this 1 mg of Xanax. My psych said Xanax would be harder. That absolutely horrifies me. Powerball.

Hi Powerball.

I know you want to get off the xanax, and it can be done. You can lay your horror to the side for now, and let's talk about your central nervous system and taking care of it before we come up with a xanax taper plan.

So much respect and admiration that you completed the taper off Ativan. .You did it, that is amazing. Your central nervous system is still healing, so be patient and accept it's part of the process. It can take a while, this is not unusual. Being off the drug rarely results in a period of feeling like your old self. Finishing the taper is step 1. Nurturing your brain is step 2. Now that that particular benzo is no longer poisoning you, your brain will start making all kinds of healing changes, and those are usually unpredictable and can feel nasty. They can at times feel like your in withdraw again. Your brain will follow it's own timetable to heal from the ativan. You can't schedule a "healed" date like you can an end of taper date.

Allowing your nervous system to recover, rebuild and heal is the best thing you can do before stressing it immediately with tapering off xanax. Powerball, it's not a race. It's a marathon and will take as long as it takes.

Getting your nervous system in the best shape you can is going to enable you to taper the xanax from a place of being relatively stable and functioning. That will go very far in getting you through the second taper. Think of it like a arm with a compound fracture, screws and all, and a torn ACL. Your ACL has recovered enough to start physical therapy and exercise to restore it to it's previous state. If you decided to tear off your cast on your not healed arm because your ready to rehab your ACL it will only cause physical distress. Your arm is still not recovered. Your body can't really deal with the ACL rehab and a too soon removed cast from a serious broken bone. You will be spinning in circles.

Give yourself that rehab first. Then, tackle the xanax. It will actually probably go much smoother when your body is mostly focused on your second benzo injury.

Here is the section on post taper recovery, you will find camaraderie and support, as well as information in here:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support Your brain is still healing from the Ativan taper. It will take as long as it takes. Please, give it what it needs, you can't set a timetable for healing.

I have made every mistake possible in my xanax taper. Also had a few periods of cold turkey for medical treatments of various times.. Tried to taper too fast, tried tapering the seroquel at the same time, and was irregular with dosing my meds. All recipes for disaster. These events completely threw my brain into crazy mode, it did not know what to do with all these changes. Hence, it has been intense, and remains so, but I will get there, one day.

I finally learned to settle down, slow down, and accept whatever was coming at me while on a stable regular dose of xanax, and doing everything I could for distraction, physical health, and coping.  It has been so painful and frustrating. I have a long way to go. it sucks, but it is what it is, I can't rush this.

When your ready to taper the xanax, go slowwwwwwww. Look at different methods and consider your options. Prepare yourself with numerous distracting and healthy options. Eat well. Find every stupid thing you can do to occupy your mind from puzzles to painting. Come up with an arsenal. Find support wherever you can. Be flexible. You can alter a plan at any time if it's not working. Prepare for waves , those are periods when your brain is working overtime in it's great complexity to be healthy, and it feels awful.

For most of us, it is fear and it's many manifestations that get to us. We have to learn to neutralize them as they crop up. This is where mindfullness and sharing your fear with someone objective will help the most (Like your therapist, or buddies you feel connected to.

Then, if you want to taper off the depakote, follow the same process.

I care about you and your healing. Hence, this is the best advice I can give you. Hold on tapering the xanax until your central nervous system is in a better place, and it will make a huge difference.