New here... trying my best/Temazepam

[Ho...]

Hi!  I was almost off Klonopin I was prescribed a year ago for anxiety.  Didn't realize I had become dependant until I had run out of my prescription in Nov. 2009 and thought I was going crazy.  My husband did some research and learned about the addictive properties of Benzo's and that I was going through withdrawls.  We reinstated my prescription, and my husband found Dr. Ashton's work on coming off of Benzo's using a cross-taper off Valium.  So, we started that.  Challenging, but I was doing it.

Sleep has always been an issue for me, so I was on all sorts of sleep meds as well before that time, as well as during the taper.  Nothing was working, so the Doctor prescribed Restoril (temazepam).  I didn't realize it was a Benzodiazapine when he gave it to me.  He gave me 30 mgs, telling me I could take 2 at night (60 mgs) as needed if it was really bad.  I did take several nights at 60 mgs, but tried to stay at 30.  Then called and asked for 45 mgs (15mgs with the 30's).  When my husband picked up the 15's he saw the Temazepam name, and realized it was a Benzo!

I was so desperate for sleep, I ignored my husband for several days, and I didn't think my Dr. would put me back on a high dose Benzo knowing I was trying to get off them.  Anyway, common sense caught up with me, and I tried cutting back... too fast... and I started going through the withdrawls all over again.  ARGH!!!

So, here I am.  I've read posts, trying to find out what I can about Restoril, specifically, since that is the thorn in my side, currently.  I'm using Dr. Ashton's plan to come off Restoril and stabilize at 15 mgs Restoril and 7.5 mgs Valium.  

Hello Hope4Me, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

You should have heard me as I was reading your post just now, I was saying, no, no, no!  I can't believe you were prescribed Temazepam by your Dr when you were trying to get off of the Klonopin, I'm so sorry!!  It kind of reminded me of my withdrawal from Klonopin, I got the bright idea to take Ambien, can't blame my Dr for that, it was all me!

I'm so glad you're here and that you've got the support of your husband!  We'll help you figure this out, we'll help you get off of these drugs.  Gosh, what a mess!

Pam

Thanks, Pam!  That's been my husband's reaction, too.  I've felt so alone, and so embarrassed because of this...due to no fault of my own... I never intended to get hooked on these things... yet here I am.  I'm probably not alone in that.

Actually being able to reach out, and have someone reach back.... tears came to my eyes. :'(  My shame about this is so great.  Thanks for being so kind, Pam.  :)

We're so very glad you're here, I hope you can let go of your shame.  We have hundreds of people here and thousands have passed this way just on BenzoBuddies, can you imagine how many other people are suffering just as we are, people who haven't found the answers?  So many people are still wondering why they feel terrible, wonder why their Dr's can't figure out what's wrong with them.  It's the drug, our bodies grow tolerant to the drug and needs more to achieve the same effect.  When the drug is not increased we experience withdrawal, it's as simple as that.  It's not your fault!

Ask questions, or just look around, but please make yourself at home.  :smitten:

Dear Hope:

I am so sorry to hear about your situation.  That really sucks the big one.  There are lots of us here, me included who had no idea that we were addicted until we stopped taking the drugs.  I asked my doc several times if I was going to get addicted to Klon and he assured me that I wasn't.  I bet you know how that story ended.

It is totally unfair that you have to go through this again.  However, you do.  How do you plan to deal with the temazepan?

ntw

Thanks for responding, ntw.

As far as the temazepam goes, I'm planning on staying at 15mgs with 7.5 of Valium for around a week and a half (at least) to stabalize.  Then talk to my Dr. and get temazepam in 7.5mgs, up the dose of Valium to 12mgs and stay with that for a week or two (per Dr. Ashton's recommendations and schedule), then go from there, following Dr. Ashton outline and my body... holding steady when I need to, but never going back.  I NEVER want to go back!

I think it's great you're following Professor Ashtons plan, wasn't it nice of her to lay it out for us?  You never have to go back, neither do I and it's a great feeling.

Since I've healed from my withdrawals, I don't get anxious, I don't fret the small stuff, I sleep great and I have a fantastic attitude!  I'm glad you're going to listen to your body for your taper, that's what we recommend too, your taper, your way!  :thumbsup:

Pam, yes, Dr. Ashton's work and plan is a lifesaver!  And thank you for your previous post about it not being my fault and to make myself feel at home.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can "feel normal"...  I read a post yesterday about the GABA in our brains returning to normal.  I've felt lost for so long.  Thanks again for your support! :)

NTW, I was going to mention that was the response I ran across with my Dr.'s in regards to the benzo's, which is probably why this Doc didn't see a problem with putting me on temazepam.

Hi Hope:

Sometimes the medical establishment makes me want to scream and throw things.  Instead I will just congratulate you on your sensible approach to getting rid of this new problem.  You seem to be approaching this in the best possible way.

ntw

I can't believe how foggy I am... OH, so frustrating!

Just remembering that before I was with my current Doctor, and this go around with Klonopin and temazapam, I had been with a different Dr. back in '07, I had been on Xanax for, maybe 2 months, before another Doctor told me Xanax was only for short term use. (I had started to shop around for another Dr. because the one who had prescribed Xanax would only give his patients 5-10 minutes of his time, and would double and triple book his patients.)

Anyway, hubby and I decided I needed to come off everything, and start fresh, so my first Doc cut my dose of Xanax by a third.  I felt like I was going to die!!!  He gave me no warnings.  I didn't sleep for 3 weeks, and I have small children!  I couldn't go through more drops like that, so I did a detox.  NOT RECOMMENDED, but I couldn't survive on one or two hours of sleep and take care of my kids.  I wasn't on a high dose (i think) of Xanax, but I was glad when it was out of my system.  I really did feel better.

In '08 the world seemed to crash in on me again, (problems with extended family, etc.) so I was back with another Med Dr. and on meds.  It was in about April or May '10 when I started with Klonopin, and you know the rest.

I'm just trying to keep my head on straight, and not let the panic and anxiety consume me.  So much more easily said than done...  the tears are always near the surface.  The panic always feels like it's ready to break through my chest.

My husband reminds of the days I used to be able to sleep through the night... no drugs, no ear plugs, no back ground noise, no eye shades.  I too, remember those days, but don't remember how did it.  That seems so long ago.  I also remember days when I felt strong and capable.  I want those back. 

Just wanted to say "Hi", Hope4Me.  I remember well what it was like to still be in the process of getting off ativan (lorazepam) and learning how to deal with anxiety and insomnia without a pill.  It can be done though it probably won't happen as soon as you'd like.  Healing from benzos has it's own timetable.  We have separate boards for Anxiety and Insomnia because they are such common problems.  Maybe you will find some helpful tips there.  :thumbsup:  Here are links to those boards:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=83.0

I've felt so alone, and so embarrassed because of this...due to no fault of my own... I never intended to get hooked on these things... yet here I am.  I'm probably not alone in that.

Hi Hope4Me - I'm a clonazepam (Klonopin) survivor myself.  This quote from your post is so common on BB - we are all here because the medical professionals thought it best not to tell us of the addictive nature of these drugs - or in some cases simply do not believe the withdrawal process can be as bad as it is.

I'm happy for you that your husband is so supportive and knowledgeable - I too have a great husband who has been my rock during this ordeal. 

And I've had to come to grips with the return of anxiety - but I have used many techniques to help me and I can control it fairly well now - trouble is I believe some of it is still being generated by the benzo left in my system even at seven months from my last dose.

I also remember days when I felt strong and capable.  I want those back

My life is slowly coming back, I still have a way to go to be the independent, outgoing person I once was, but I'm getting there.  You've had a rough journey, but you have the knowledge and support now.  Stay strong and you'll get there.

Thank you Beeper and LB.  This is such a tough journey, and I HATE to be going through this again.  I'm just grateful that this go-around I've found some outside support and people who've walked this road before and have conquered it!

Last night as I was ready to crawl out of my own skin, I was able to maintain control and have a level of peace knowing there were others like me going through this, who were dealing with this, and who had in fact, WON the Benzo War!!!  I was able to not go into full melt-down mode by reading posts from awesome people on this site.  Thanks so much to all of you... for sharing your experiences and advice.

There are some other things I'm experiencing... w/d symptoms that really have me concerned that I probably need to bring up in another topic.

You can start a thread in General Withdrawal Support, or you can talk about things here if you wish.

I'm glad you don't feel so alone, this is the one place where you can get the understanding and reassurance you need to get past this.

I recently tapered succesfully from temazepam while doing a crossover to valium.  Your plan sounds OK and I hope you can stick to it.  I was lucky in that I did not suffer any w/d from the crossover.  I can warn you, though, that the 7.5mg temazepam is only manufactured by the orginal maker (while the 15 and 30 sizes are available as generics) and will cost you big time (like over $100 for thirty or so).  If you have the bucks then go for it but if that's too steep you need to develop a plan B. Temazepam is only available in capsules so you either have to titrate or empty out a capsule and divide it.  I tried titrating using 1/2 & 1/2 (i.e. cream) and that might work for you.  However, I also found that it only stayed in solution for perhaps two days and then the solution took on a sort of thickened consistency that made me think I couldn't trust my dosage.  So ... I'd say if you titrate, only dissolve one 15mg capsule at a time so as to make up two 7.5mg doses.  I think that will keep alright (since you will use one half right away and the other half the next day).  Just don't try to make four doses from a 30mg capsule.

Your other choice, which I used after my problem with titration, is to go buy some empty gelatine capsules, empty out a 15mg capsule onto a smooth surface (I used a hand mirror), use a safety razor to mix up the pile of powder (to make sure the drug and the filler are evenly mixed), then use the razor blade to make as even a mound of powder as you can and then divide it into two halves.  Then use one half of an empty capsule and the blade to scoop up the powder into one of the new capsules.  Repeat with the second half of the pile.  You will then have two 7.5mg capsules.  Its somewhat of a pain but not as bad as it sounds once you've done it the first time.  I made 5mg cuts so when it came time to make a cut I'd sit down and make up all the new dosage capsules I was going to need in one session.  Don't empty out more than one capsule at a time, though, as trying to split a pile into more than three or four equal parts is difficult.  Better to make repeated splits into two parts.  I hope that's helpful.

Once you have made the crossover and no longer need the temazepam then also consider what dosage tablets you will need of valium so as to be able to split them easily. It comes in both 5mg and 2mg size scored tablets.  Get the ones that will allow you to achieve your desired dose by splitting in half, as cutting into smaller pieces can be difficult to do accurately.

I hope that is helpful and wish you the best.

John

I am at the end of the taper from 60mg a night from temazepam.  I mixed in some valium at first to get down from the 60 to a 30 plus some valium, but did not like the effects of valium.  I use the temaepam only for sleep so it did not make sense for me to "cross over".  Anyway, just giving you a different opinion.  I have been titrating restoril/temazepam for almost three months now and it is faily simple to do.  I did find that it is better to mis it with water than milk.  I also found it was easier to mix it in a mix of 3 mg of water 1 mg of drug.  It is very soluable in water, just give your container a quic shake before you take your dose.  Also as the above buddie states I would not mix a huge batch, keep it small.  I am at 4.5 mg down from 60,, there is hope and I am almost done.  good luck to you.  D.J. 

I got a second opinion from another pdoc a couple of weeks ago and she actually prescribed temazapem for me to sleep.  I said isn't that another benzo and she said yes.  But I'll get you off.  I thought ummmmm no thanks.

Pretty scary huh?

Good luck with your taper  Everyone is here to support you ! :)

I'm so grateful for the support... I just want to hug you all!!!  :hug:

Jwm1/John: I'm hoping my insurance will cover the 7.5mgs temazepam (crossing my fingers!).  Titrating probably isn't that difficult once you've done it... I just hope I don't have to.  On the chance that I do, THANK YOU so much for your advice on how to do it! :)  Thanks for the encouragement, and knowing I'm not walking this Restoril path alone.

DJ: I was using the Temazepam only for sleep as well.  My body is just so sensitive to benzo's, (especially since I had just jumped off Valium, having used it to taper from Klonopin) my body responded to the temazepam just like a recovering alcoholic would to another drink, and BAM!!! I was hooked again.  ---  I'm so glad you've been able to reduce from 60 down to 4.5! That's awesome!

Melissa: I'm so glad you asked about it being a benzo!  If I had done that in the first place, I wouldn't be going through this mess AGAIN.

On a good note, I talked to my pdoc today, and told him about everything that was going on, my weight loss from my last taper and fear of losing more, all of my symptoms (they've been severe), and how Temazepam is doing the same thing to me that Klonopin did.  He does remember that, and how awful that was for me, so he LISTENED, and is very concerned.  Can I say, "YAY"?!

He actually wrote ON my chart "Allergic to Benzo's". (Progress!)  He said he's heard of people like me, but never actually encountered someone who's as sensitive to medications like I am, especially the Benzo's.  I handed him Dr. Ashton's taper plan, which included the web address to her work.  He said I'm educating him.  I'm sure we're all educating our doctors.

I know there will be more struggles to come, but I have my Doctor on my side... and that is something to be very grateful for!  :yippee:

Allergic to benzo's!  :thumbsup: I'm glad he wrote that on your chart, maybe next time he won't prescribe anymore for you.  :tickedoff:  Sorry, just a little sarcasm there, but really, I'm glad he's coming around.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I was just checking in to see how you are doing?  I'm still doing well.    I hopethe same for you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I was just checking in to see how you are doing?  I'm still doing well.    I hope the same for you! :)

Thanks for checking in on me, Melissa! You are so sweet!  HUGS

Things have been really busy in my life in general, so haven't had a lot of time to actually be on here.  My taper is progressing, (yay!) so that is good.

I've actually kicked the temazepam completely!!!  :yippee:  Took my last dose Saturday night... a 7.5mg, and now I'm completely switched over to Valium only.  The last two nights have a been a little rough, but I'm managing.  It hasn't been as bad as I was anticipating.  I have had muscle some pretty bad muscle cramps in my legs...but I've come to just accept those as "par for the 'benzo withdrawl' course", even though they are far from pleasant, and I end up in tears because of them.

A weird new symptom since I dropped the temazepam, though-- I have this weird muscle twitch in my left bum cheek that won't go away.  Started last night.  It isn't anything serious, just more annoying than anything, really.  Funny at times, lol.  I don't have any other place that is twitching oddly... just me bum,  ???

I guess it's meant to give me something to laugh about in all of this...hardy-har-har!  :D

Again, thanks for thinking of me.  I've wondered about you, too.  Glad to know you're still doing well.  I'll have to catch up with you.

Hey there,

I was just checking in to see how you are doing?   I'm still doing well.    I hope the same for you! :)

Thanks for checking in on me, Melissa! You are so sweet!   HUGS

Things have been really busy in my life in general, so haven't had a lot of time to actually be on here.  My taper is progressing, (yay!) so that is good.

I've actually kicked the temazepam completely!!!  :yippee:  Took my last dose Saturday night... a 7.5mg, and now I'm completely switched over to Valium only.  The last two nights have a been a little rough, but I'm managing.  It hasn't been as bad as I was anticipating.  I have had muscle some pretty bad muscle cramps in my legs...but I've come to just accept those as "par for the 'benzo withdrawl' course", even though they are far from pleasant, and I end up in tears because of them.

A weird new symptom since I dropped the temazepam, though-- I have this weird muscle twitch in my left bum cheek that won't go away.  Started last night.  It isn't anything serious, just more annoying than anything, really.  Funny at times, lol.  I don't have any other place that is twitching oddly... just me bum,  ???

I guess it's meant to give me something to laugh about in all of this...hardy-har-har!  :D

Again, thanks for thinking of me.  I've wondered about you, too.  Glad to know you're still doing well.  I'll have to catch up with you.

Well that's one I haven't heard before!  :laugh:  But seriously, I'm glad you've completed the switch to Valium, now you can get on with it.  Your muscle problems are fairly typical, but it sounds like you know this. 

It's good you've been busy, hopefully you've had some distraction from all of this.

Hey Pamster! Good to see you!

Yeah, it's a strange one, huh, the muscle twitching.  I'm wondering if it's related to sleep deprivation, since I haven't gotten good sleep the last two nights.  I do remember reading something years ago that sometimes muscles will twitch when they are fatiqued, particularly in the eye area. (A friend of mine in highschool would have her lower eyelid twitch fairly regularly, and she was pretty sleep deprived.)

I'm hoping once I stabilize on just having the Valium in my system, and sleep regulates, the twitching will go away, and I'll rest easy again.  Of course, I'll be tapering my doses of Valium in the weeks to come, but I'm going to go slowly, so hopefully, I will be able to get some much needed Zzzz's in the process.

Hi,

muscle twitching seems to be par for the course.  Glad you are doing well and moving along with your taper!  No more temazapem Yay!!!! :yippee: