I Wish I could sleep again!!!!!!!

[sa...]

So I started out on 30mg of temazepam a night and have quite successfully tapered down to 11.5mg- sure I have had issues here and there falling asleep, but nothing too agonizing . However I found that once I tapered to 11.5mg, it seems as though I CAN NOT fall asleep on my own, I have had to take 2 Advil PMs at bed time- which seems to usually get me about 6 hours. Is this ok? I really hope I don't have to take these forever, I want to be able to just sleep on my own, like human beings should!

Hi Sarah :hug: I know what its like walking around like a zombie, I was lucky if I got 2/3 hours but it will get better, I am not familiar with advil.

I found this thread you might get something from it How to Sleep

Magrita

It's 'normal' Sarah. It's one of those sxs that most of us couldn't escape. I've had bad insomnia for a period of time, and even nowadays I still get difficulties to fall asleep sometimes.

It's unnerving really but it passes. Hang in there.

Normally, I would care less of I couldn't sleep; BUT I have epilepsy, and what triggers seizures is sleep deprivation! Now by the grace of God I have remained seizure free for a little over 2 years- but I also have been managing to get a minimum of 3 1/2 hours of sleep (usually I get around 5) but lately I've been needing to take Tylenol PM and a couple .5mg of Xanax to just put me out because if I don't get sleep, I'll have a seizure, then lose my drivers lisence, then probably my mind. I so wish I could just suffer through being tired everyday, I would trade epilepsy for a million sleepless nights if I could. This is just such a tough position to be in. I can't take natural supplements like melatonin either because they can interact with my epilepsy meds. It's just killing me to need to turn to my Xanax when my current goal is to get off benzos in order to naturally sleep on my own. Ugh, honestly depressing.

Keep going slowly and do the best you can sarah! Sounds like it will be tricky for you but in time you will keep getting closer and closer to your goal. I will send a couple hours of my sleep your way for when you need them  :smitten:

Id try unisom doxylamine.  it comes in a bubble pack it's a different anti histamine then the one you're using but much stronger.I break a pill in half and it has me out like Xanax. its the only thing that has gotten me a solid night sleep. no hangover in the morning either but like I say I would start with half a pill. Evidently it does have a long half-life and can make people groggy the next day, but it seems a lot of members have had some success with it without side effects

My insomnia tapering Ativan has been relentless and vicious. But mid taper for about 8 weeks it let up. I thought that might be due to the CBT, improved sleep hygeine, stimulus control, and mindful meditation I was practicing. But now at end of taper for the past 3 weeks, I am still practicing all of these methods and having multiple back to back zero sleep nights sending me into absolute hell. I am really hoping it is due to benzo wd making its "last stand" and that post-jump, it will get better.

In addition to the above non-pharmacological methods I have been using to combat insomnia, I have also tried intermittently hydroxyzine/vistaril, valerian, and melatonin, all with mixed success. Melatonin started giving me horrific nightmares of the most graphic nature, so I stoppped that quickly.

Trying to live a functional life on zero sleep really just sucks. I can "get through" the day, but it is absolutely miserable. What kind of way is this to live?

:tickedoff:

Thanks everyone! Luckily the Advil PM has been getting me at least 5 hours a night (I'm a light weight) I just can't wait to be able to sleep on my own again- I honestly used to be the BEST sleeper, until I got PTSD and then I was just too "scared" to sleep, and now... It's the benzo WD! But, normal is on it's wAy!!

I wish I could get 6 hours sleep!  :-[

I get about 3 for the last 2 months

I hear ya.  I've been sleeping ok the last few months but last night I didn't sleep at all and the night before I slept maybe 2 hours so I'm in zombie mode today.

Please stay away from Xanax to sleep, or for most anything else. I am trying to taper off Xanax, and am down to .25 once at night. I sleep for about 5- hours, then wake up with my mind racing, and cannot go back to sleep unless I take another .25. I have tapered down from 4 mg per day, and at times thought I was losing my mind from the serious withdrawl. Most people are not aware of how bad X can be, since it is not an opioid, but most Heroin addicts will tell you it is easier to quit heroin than X.

Please stay away from Xanax to sleep, or for most anything else. I am trying to taper off Xanax, and am down to .25 once at night. I sleep for about 5- hours, then wake up with my mind racing, and cannot go back to sleep unless I take another .25. I have tapered down from 4 mg per day, and at times thought I was losing my mind from the serious withdrawl. Most people are not aware of how bad X can be, since it is not an opioid, but most Heroin addicts will tell you it is easier to quit heroin than X.

I have two brothers who are actually heroine addicts and when they got home from rehab they said that Xanax was by far the worst drug to come off of (they obviously saw other addicts dealing with withdrawal from this stuff) I'm very cautious when I do use it, I'm only prescribed .5mg- and if I absolutely can't sleep then and only then will I resort to a Xanax (maybe 1-2 a month)

Id try unisom doxylamine.  it comes in a bubble pack it's a different anti histamine then the one you're using but much stronger.I break a pill in half and it has me out like Xanax. its the only thing that has gotten me a solid night sleep. no hangover in the morning either but like I say I would start with half a pill. Evidently it does have a long half-life and can make people groggy the next day, but it seems a lot of members have had some success with it without side effects

I works for me somewhat, and I take a whole pill. Maybe that's why I feel so groggy in the am. I thought it was because of a lack of sleep. Maybe it's the unisom, but if I take 1/2 tab, I don't fall asleep at all. Betsy