Suffering with Xanax withdrawl after only 1 month and a half of use

[ja...]

HI All. I have suffering from xanax withdrawl ever since I started to taper down. I have one more week of tapering. I have started to have thoughts of death and people around me dying been told by the therapist that its the anxiety and it will go away one I finish withdrawing. But HOW do you get through it without going crazy. I have up and down moments. How long will this last please someone help?

My problems started in early July I was discharged from a hospital after staying there 11 days and given pain meds around the clock through the IV. When I came home I went cold turkey on one of them and went through acute withdrawl. I was admitted into the Psychiatric ward of another hospital to help me detox from the pain meds. Once I was off, I was give xanax 3pills at .5 mg. Well once i read about the side effects i knew i would have to come off ASAP. Well now I am coming off and feel like I'm in mental hell at times. Is this common? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hi, jackson123.  :)

I'm glad you found your way to BenzoBuddies.  You will find plenty of information and support here.

So you have tapered down from 1.5mg/day, is that right?  What has your taper schedule been so far and how much are you currently taking and when.  Sorry for all the questions but we need a better picture to offer the best advice.

We have 3 members who just recently tapered off of xanax and are doing really well.  I'm afraid the "I"m losing my mind" feelins is a pretty common withdrawal (w/d) symptoms.  Increased anxiety seems to be #1, possibly because that's why most of us were prescribed it in the first place.

We have a General Withdrawal Support board with a sub boards for Anxiety. You might want to take a look at what some other members have done to cope with these problems.  A lot of this battle is psychological and learning calming techniques really does help.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0

I promise you you will be able to get off the xanax and you won't go crazy doing it, either.  ;)

Hi Jackson123,

I am one of the 3 members who just recently tapered off Xanax.  It can be done as we are proof of that.  If you click on 'Forum' and scroll down to 'Buddy Blogs' you will see the 3 of us (MAL, Keith64 and me, stoneyco).  Maybe reading our posts will help you.  The moderators on this site are so very helpful.  They will help you with finishing your taper.  It was not easy but it was doable.  You have not been on it very long and should do very well.  Just hang in there with the withdrawal symptoms.  It will test your will but you can do it.  I have been off the Xanax for 3 1/2 weeks and I am feeling great now.  Lots of luck.

Patty  xo

Hey Jackson,

Welcome to the forum!  I'm one of the other recent Xanax taper "graduates" - LOL.  The good news is that it can be done if you use a sensible taper.  Since we all react to the taper differently, you may even find crossing over to a slower acting benzo like valium is more comfortable.  I tapered directly off of Xanax, but should you need to crossover, others are here to assist with a schedule.

So keep a positive attitude- that will be a huge ally for you.  Do some research here and elsewhere and then let us know how we can help.  You will find a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here to help you get off the Xanax.  This will help you taper off the best way for you. 

Cheers for now,

Keith

Hi Jackson,

I also wanted to welcome you. There are many people here who understand the the effects of what you are taking. They will give you really good advice. I hope all goes well for you Kel

Thanks everybody for you support. Well this is the Doc decided to taper me.

When I started I was 3pills/ .5mg pills at night

the second week I went to 2pills/.5mg pills at night

the third week I went from 2pills-1pill/5mg a day alternating the dose per day

this is the 4th week and Im on 1pill/.5 mg a day

next week Im on 1piil/.5 mg every other day

then the following week I will be on NOTHING!!

My aniexty level has gone up. I have had thoughts that I am going to die, or my fiance and family will die or leave me. Terrible thoughts what if I snap and hurt someone, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!!!!!!!!!! But crazy thoughts have gone through my mind. How long will this last? Im really irritable, This is totally not my personalilty. When I first got on these pills I was getting horrible heart palpatations, but I have been on a homepathic remedy for that. It has really helped. I am desperate to feel better. I was wonder should I go back to the hospital will they be able to help with something? Probably not. I cant sleep, and I feel nervous most to the day.

Thanks again everyone,

Jackson123

xoxoxo

Hi, Jackson,

Your doc has you on a pretty aggressive taper so unfortunately you will be having these horrible withdrawal symptoms.  I can't begin to tell you all the symptoms I had during my taper.  Intrusive thoughts are pretty typical and scary.  Everything is blown out of proportion.  The agitation was wicked.  It was like I wanted to hurt somebody but of course I didn't.  We all want a quick fix.  You have to really dig deep and weather out these horrific symptoms.  This site was a godsend to me.  It kept me busy and focused.  Other times I would pace, pick weeds, write and re-write my taper plan, concentrate on deep breathing exercises, etc.  The one breathing exercise that helped with the heart palpitations is:  put your tongue behind your front teeth; inhale through your nose to the count of 7 using your abdominal muscles; hold till the count of 4; breathe out through your mouth to the count of 8.  Just remember you are not going insane.  The Xanax is doing this to you and you will feel better shortly after you are off.  Hang in there.  Someone else will be by to give you further info.

Patty  xo

Thanks everybody for you support. Well this is the Doc decided to taper me.

When I started I was 3pills/ .5mg pills at night

the second week I went to 2pills/.5mg pills at night

the third week I went from 2pills-1pill/5mg a day alternating the dose per day

this is the 4th week and Im on 1pill/.5 mg a day

next week Im on 1piil/.5 mg every other day

then the following week I will be on NOTHING!!

I really hope you have enough pills to slow it down.  At the very least, do NOT do that every other day thing!  Xanax is very short acting and you will be jerked around even more than you are now.  You can achieve the same reduction amount by cutting the .5mg pill in half and taking 1/2 pill every day.

However, if you have enough pills, you could slow down even further which I would recommend if possible.    You could cut your pills in 1/4's and reduce just 1/4 of a pill every 7-14 days until you get to just 1/4 pill per day and then nothing.  Do you think you could slow it down like that?

My aniexty level has gone up. I have had thoughts that I am going to die, or my fiance and family will die or leave me. Terrible thoughts what if I snap and hurt someone, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!!!!!!!!!! But crazy thoughts have gone through my mind. How long will this last? Im really irritable, This is totally not my personalilty. When I first got on these pills I was getting horrible heart palpatations, but I have been on a homepathic remedy for that. It has really helped. I am desperate to feel better. I was wonder should I go back to the hospital will they be able to help with something? Probably not. I cant sleep, and I feel nervous most to the day.

Thanks again everyone,

Jackson123

xoxoxo

While we all get withdrawal symptoms, I believe yours have been made worse than they need to be by that fast taper your doctor has you on.  Most doctors do not seem to recognize the difficulty most people have with a rapid taper or how powerful those little pills are.  Have you checked out some of the messages on the Anxiety board?  You may find some relief with some combination of the techniques there.  There's also an Insomnia board for help with sleep.

You won't always feel this way. You need to keep telling yourself this is only the xanax leaving your body and will pass.

Hang in there, jackson123.  :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents, but I agree with Beeper.  Any chance you can talk with your doctor and get another prescription?  With a good supply of pills there is no reason for you to be so uncomfortable during the taper. 

I hate to see you start skipping days, especially on Xanax.  It is not in your system very long, so the ups and downs will be magnified when you start skipping days.  If you can tell us how many pills you have left someone can come up with a taper to fit your supply.  It may be a little aggressive, but probably more comfortable than what your doc recommended.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi I am the third xanax person that did a successful taper and I am 6 weeks off and feeling great.

I too was in the hospital for 8 days and given too many meds one after another.  Finally I had an adverse reaction and that is where xanax enterded my life.

After reading your post you definitely need to slow things down and stabilize if at all possible.  Need to take the same amount everyday for a bit and then cut 10% every 7 to 14 days.  You will be having some very strong withdrawls with the schedule that you are currently on.  Xanax can be very difficult to taper off of but with a sensible taper plan it can be done.  You will need to be very strong and know that there is an end to this drug.  The 3 of us are proof that it can be done and that the outcome is great!

Good luck and we are here for you.

mal

Hi Everyone, thanks for your responses. Do you all think this taper is still to fast even though I had been on the xanax a month and half? Also I only have 8 more pills left. They even prescribed the extended release Xanax XR. Does anyone know what the difference is?

I was prescribed these meds by the Doctor on the psyc unit in the hospital. So I dont know how to get more or to get another schedule.

I hate to continue to be negative but I cant belive this is happening. Who would have thought those pills would have done this. I am so angry and sad. I feel as though I cant even be around my fiance because of my thoughts and Im scard to be alone because of my thoughts. This is terrible. This is noramal? WOW...this is a living hell. I would NOT wish this on anyone.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Hi Jackson,

It may only take 2-4 weeks to become dependant on benzos. As far as the difference between regular xanax and xanax xr, the xr means extended release which unfortunately also means that they should not be cut as far as I know which prohibits you from slowing your taper. You may want to call your doctor and let him know what kind of symptoms you are having and maybe he can give you the regular xanax in which you can use to slow down your taper.  I know that the thoughts you are having are scary, but this is from the withdrawal. Most doctors do not accept this fact, but we are all here because of these pills.

T2 :smitten:

Yes Jackson you can become dependent in that amount of time.  I started mine Feb 20 and began my taper May 3.  Just a little over 2 months on them.  Yes it is hell but there is only one way to feel better and that is to taper off these meds.  You can do this and just remember what you are experiencing is withdrawls.  Please read the Ashton Manual and you will understand this drug so much more.  Dr. Ashton lists most of the side effects that you might experience.  It is the bible to us Benzo people.  Theresa  can give you the web site.

Please do see if you can get regular tablets.  You can not cut the xr pills.  If you can get .25's that will be the easiest to cut.  With the fast taper that you are doing you are bound to feel everything sooo much more.

Hang in there.

mal

Hi, Jackson,

Call the psyche doc that prescribed the Xanax.  If you don't remember his name, etc., call the psyche unit and ask to talk to a nurse and she will help you contact him.  Make sure you tell him you want to taper off the Xanax and could he prescribe the .25 mg. tabs so you can do an easier cut.  If he insists that you stay on them then just agree, get the script, and do your own taper with the help of this forum.  Hang in there.  Are you a male or female?  Just wondering.  Good luck.

Patty  xo

I really appreciate you all on this site. It really helps me, I feel like someone understands!! I will call the psych unit to leave a message for the doctor. Hopefully he will respond. Wonder why they put me on the XR instead of the regular xanax.

Hey Stoneyco..im a female!

xoxoxo

Hi Jackson,

you will make it through this and we will help. I see you have heard from our friends who have come off xanax. They do know what you are going through, as do all of us. You will make it to other side, just as we did. There is a brand new tomorrow waiting for you. Do not be afraid of the bumps in the road, you will get through it. Stay strong :thumbsup: Kel

Hi again Jackson,

Your doctor probably put you on extended release so it would stay in your system more uniformly.  Regular Xanax has a relatively short half-life, but at least you can cut the pills which allows a slower taper.

I know you are off them now, but if it seems too much physically or emotionally I would contact the doctor and see if they'll change the prescription.  It seems crazy that you can become addicted so quickly, but it happens.

Sent you a pm about intrusive thoughts.

Take care and let me know how you're doing!

Jane

Your doctor probably put you on extended release so it would stay in your system more uniformly.  Regular Xanax has a relatively short half-life, but at least you can cut the pills which allows a slower taper.

Unfortunately, Xanax CR will loose its slow release properties if the pill is split. So, yes, Xanax CR has advantages over ordinary Xanax, but offers nothing over regular Xanax when split. What is more, it would not be wise to suddenly switch from Xanax CR to ordinary Xanax (or split your Xanax CR so that is, in effect, ordinary Xanax) and take it as a single dose, since blood levels will spike considerably higher than they would with the CR type pill, and, of course, the effects would be very much shorter lived.

Hey there Stoneyco, I'm actually doing well. I have been xanax free since Monday and not feeling as bad as I thought. I went to see a homeopathic practitioner and she prescribed a remedy of Nux Vomica that would help get rid of some of the withdrawl affects.

Actually the picture is not me, its a picture of an actress everyone says I look like :). I took some pictures this weekend and I will put those up once I get a new USB port for my camera so that I can upload on the computer and then the site.

How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. You are 5 weeks xanax free. I know thats a good feeling!!

Jackson

xoxoxoxo

Congratulations, Jackson.  Wow, you did it!  Way to go.  Just hold on tight if the road gets a little bumpy.  It won't be long before you are completely healed.  Again, any questions you have just feel free to ask.  Can't wait for your pictures.

Patty  xo