Can propofol rekindle symptoms?

[qu...]

Hi all,

I quit taking Xanax in April 2012. It's been two and a half years. Although my withdrawal symptoms have mostly abated, I have some lingering GI issues bad enough that I'm considering an endoscopy to see if there's a physical cause.

My GI doctor assured me that the anesthesia would only involve propofol--no benzodiazepine would be administered. However, looking through this forum's archives, I've encountered a few worrisome anecdotes from people harmed by propofol. Furthermore, this study indicates that propofol binds to GABA-A receptors. Here are links to some of people's experiences with propofol, pro and con:

Positive Experiences with Propofol

From http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=80810.msg1060224#msg1060224

I have had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy during my taper and in both procedures they used propofol. I had no reactions whatsoever with this. Don't worry you will be fine. Make sure to tell them you do not want tranquilizers of any sort. Good luck

From http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74771.msg993682#msg993682

Had a colonoscopy last year and decided propofol would be better for me than versed, since versed is in the benzo family.  Long story short.  No problems with the procedure or with the propofol

From http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=89413.msg1152602#msg1152602

Hello - I had propofol in July for surgical procedure. Zero problems, which is what I had read here on BB.

Negative Experiences

From http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74771.msg992737#msg992737 (possibly caused by antibiotics)

2.5 mths ago I developed a nasty tooth infection so my dentist started me on a course on antibiotics.  At that point I was 14 mths off Xanax and feeling pretty good. About a week into the course I could feel a wave coming on. The tooth had to be pulled and the dentist said i woukd have to be put under. i i told the doctor I did not want versed because I was allergic to Benzos so he offered propofol.

I truly thought this would be a safe alternative to the benzo like Versed. Boy was I ever wrong. Since I walked out of that office I've felt horrible. Almost like the acute phase. I was so close and was feeling so good and this crap wrecked me.  It's been a little over two months and I still feel horrible. All the symps that had finally gone away have returned with a vengeance with no end in sight.

And then we have what I'm most afraid of ... one user here (Mbasch5) had a HORRIBLE post-propofol experience that lasted a long time:

This time around I requested a spinal, no benzos, and no general anasthesia. The doctors cooperated, however they wanted to give me propofol (which acts on gaba) for sedation during surgery. The surgery went well and I was sent home. I kept telling myself that this time around would be so much easier and better because of how much further along on the recovery process I am. I took a day's worth of pain meds, and started back on the road again.... (In hindsight I would say I was 80% back to my normal self upon going into surgery this time around).

A week after surgery (in the last few days or so) my symptoms began to flare up. To tell you the truth, it sort of reminded me of what I went through in the beginning but to a far less severe extent.

What to Do?

The evidence is mixed. There are more examples, both pro and con, in this forum's archives ... some people (perhaps a majority) seem unaffected by propofol, but others react--and occasionally, propofol reactions are severe.

Help Me!

So here's my calculus. On the one hand, my GI symptoms are bad enough to interfere with my life--the reflux stains my teeth and keeps me awake at night, and I've recently learned I have low bone density, which I suspect is due to a calcium absorption issue in my digestion.

On the other hand ... my GI symptoms actually started because a few drinks of alcohol essentially restarted my withdrawal. I was symptom-free after my first year of withdrawal, starting around May 2012. However, in June 2012, I drank three shots of vodka one night. It felt like my withdrawal started all over again, and that's when my reflux first developed. So I'm very hesitant to be exposed to any GABAergic substance!

What should I do? Is the risk real?

Queen, I don't know if this will help your fears because everyone's different. But I had 2 endoscopies this year-- one  in April and one in June. I explained to the anesthesiologist about my benzo taper and she suggested propofol instead of versed. She used it in both cases and I did fine. My taper was not affected. I really was OK.

Hope this helps.

Okatz

It does help! I am trying to gather as many experiences as I can. Thank you for posting! It is a relief to hear that you are completely ok.

I am so glad you brought this up. I currently have no upcoming surgeries or need for anaesthesia, but chances are that at some point in my life I will be at the same place you are at. I would love to hear more anecdotes about propofol because that is the one I always had, "in my back pocket" in case the need for anasthesia arose. I had no idea it acted on GABA!!

Also, unfortunately, you are not the first I have heard that experienced w/d again after a few drinks. There is a entire thread on it started by Whoopsie. Were those vodkas your first drinks since experiencing benzo w/d?

Sorry you are going through this-Benzos are really the gift that keeps giving aren't they?  :idiot: I hope you get the answers you are seeking!!

Tina

I am so glad you brought this up. I currently have no upcoming surgeries or need for anaesthesia, but chances are that at some point in my life I will be at the same place you are at. I would love to hear more anecdotes about propofol because that is the one I always had, "in my back pocket" in case the need for anasthesia arose. I had no idea it acted on GABA!!

Also, unfortunately, you are not the first I have heard that experienced w/d again after a few drinks. There is a entire thread on it started by Whoopsie. Were those vodkas your first drinks since experiencing benzo w/d?

Sorry you are going through this-Benzos are really the gift that keeps giving aren't they?  :idiot: I hope you get the answers you are seeking!!

Tina

Hi Tina,

Yes, the drinks were my first and only since quitting Xanax. It was shocking that one night's poor decision could have consequences lasting for months afterward, but it did. Fortunately, the GI problems are the most serious of my remaining s/x, and with the FODMAPS diet I have been able to control them somewhat.

Hi queenscarlet88,

I had colonoscopy when i was 2 months off benzos,they used Propofol and Versed,i had a short flare up of symptoms on the NEXT day for just a few hours but then i got a window and was fine.So it was nothing,because i was getting bad days with bad symptoms anyway.

Also i did an upper GI endoscopy without meds while on benzos,its bad enough but bearable.

So it is something else to consider.

Good luck with your procedure!

Wow! The procedure my doctor is considering is in fact an upper GI endoscopy. He didn't even mention the possibility of doing it without anesthesia. Can you tell me a little more about that?

I had no problem with propofol when I had my shoulder surgery in April.  I also requested no pre op benzo and they were very amenable to that.

Wow! The procedure my doctor is considering is in fact an upper GI endoscopy. He didn't even mention the possibility of doing it without anesthesia. Can you tell me a little more about that?

I did it 3 times without anesthesia and 2 times with anesthesia.

You wont like it without,but it can be done.Who would like a tube going all the way from mouth to stomach?Its not pleasant at all,it feels like you want to vomit it out.Last time i did it without anesthesia because i thought i might be pregnant,so didnt want to take a chance.Suffered for about 5 minutes,run away from the clinic feeling so much relief after it was over but then calmed down  :)

An interesting thing about propofol I found out from the dental surgery I am scheduled to have. I explained my benzo taper to the nurse. She told me that they should not administer the drug that reverses the effects of propofol. I have elected to have non-epi Novocain and gas . Did some research on here and did not find any major problems with either . MM

Yes,they use Flumazenil -gaba antagonist to reverse the sedation effect.In people who are tapering from benzos it will cause withdrawal symptoms.

Hi QueenScarlett. Had propofol for routine colonoscopy last year (also requested no pre op benzo).  Had no problems with the propofol.  I also have had a history of stomach sensitivity.  I can't handle strong alcohol or carbonation, which includes beer and very rarely will have soda.  I have a history of reflux and have taken either Prilosec or zantac intermittently for years.  I tried tapering off the Prilosec about two years post benzo but had to stop >:(.  I have found I can do ok with taking a prilosec every other day, sometimes every second day.  I also find Zantac to be helpful when symptoms act up after a big meal.  Of course over the counter meds should not be taken in excess or without discussion with one's doctor.  As for alcohol restarting symptoms of withdrawal, I believe some have reported this to be the case for them, but it doesn't happen to everyone.  I purposely avoided hard alcohol for the first year off valium.  I did eventually try a martini, then once in a while had two instead of one or two glasses of wine (socially, not to get "drunk").  I found that I could tolerate it but that I did get a sore throat the next day, probably from reflux.  It could have been the vodka in the martini, but I think it's also the tendency to over eat snacks or appetizers when I drink that can also be problematic.  I also tried a scotch or whiskey in the second year off valium and that did not agree with me either.

I usually restrict my social drinking to a glass of two of wine but at about seven months post benzo, I overdid it that summer with having wine two or three times a week, which ultimately did cause a setback for me, including elevated BP.  Again, part was lack of exercise and eating too much junk food.  I generally find that I can enjoy two glasses of wine, sometimes 2.5 as long as I don't overeat too.  Also, for some reason, probably the tannens in red wine,  I generally tolerate white wine better.  I can still have a glass of red, but usually avoid stronger ones like cabernet and stick with lighter ones like pinot noir or malbec.    Nevertheless, 2 glasses of red wine sometimes triggers some heartburn,  so if  I will have more than one glass of wine, I will usually make it  one white and one red.  For some, depending on weight, age, gender, one drink may be all that one might like.  And to be sure, there are some who would be better off not drinking at all.  I'm just saying that for me personally, I have experimented and know my own limitations and desires, what I can tolerate or choose to do.  Some who may have a more sensitive disposition may be better off not drinking at all. 

Overall though, I would not recommend folks drink alcohol in the first year off the benzo and that if one chooses to try it again, that one do so in moderation and start slowly.  For me, hard liquor is out as well as binge drinking or beer.

Best,

V

Feeling uptight after reading this. I am having surgery in 3 weeks. A day surgery. I was told that versed and/or prop. will be used. I posted abt this and the responses I got were positive. Do not worry. Now I feel like I should. I have a pre op on Tuesday and am going to make sure I do not get any pre surgery benzos. Do not want to do anything to reverse my progress.

Feeling uptight after reading this. I am having surgery in 3 weeks. A day surgery. I was told that versed and/or prop. will be used. I posted abt this and the responses I got were positive. Do not worry. Now I feel like I should. I have a pre op on Tuesday and am going to make sure I do not get any pre surgery benzos. Do not want to do anything to reverse my progress.

Every single person in this thread has posted that propofol was fine. You probably should avoid the Versed, though.

There's no need to worry! The consensus seems to be overwhelming: Propofol is usually fine.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to let everyone know I had my endoscopy without any sedation at all.

The procedure was very quick ... it lasted 5-10 minutes. There were some very uncomfortable moments, as you might expect from having a 3 foot long plastic tube pushed down your throat and into your stomach. At the beginning, when the doctor first slid the tube in, I panicked and tried to pull it out. But the nurse calmed me down, and for the rest of the procedure, I closed my eyes and breathed through my nose and stayed calm.

Based on what everyone has shared in this thread, the propofol would probably have been ok ... but in the end, I opted not to have the medication administered, because it wasn't necessary. Recently, my GI and sleep issues have been improved markedly on their own, without any apparent cause. I think I've hit a new window ... and I'm optimistic that the window will remain open.

oh my God Queenscarlet how did you do that? i can't even think that right now. sorry, just having some severe symptoms right now but that is amazing though. i could not do that. i don't ever want to have this procedure. and i know that one day i probably will have to.

by the way, what is Versed?

oh wow! just looked it up and it  "Belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepine". good thing you didn't have that.

i get scared about propofol cause isn't that the drug that killed Michael Jackson?

I am glad to hear that everything went so well for you, just wanted to add that I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and was given versed. Even though I am over a year off benzos I was somewhat worried but I had no adverse affects at all, felt normal afterwards .

Ladygrace12 :smitten:

That is great Queen Scarlett!!  I think I would also opt to do it without the propofol. I know some procedures/surgeries there is no choice though. At least the general concensus is that propofol is fine!  So glad you are feeling better overall too!!!

Tina