Propofol is not good

[so...]

Just thought I'd share a quick story about my experience with propofol.

Some may remember that this is the drug that killed Michael Jackson. 

2.5 mths ago I developed a nasty tooth infection so my dentist started me on a course on antibiotics.  At that point I was 14 mths off Xanax and feeling pretty good. About a week into the course I could feel a wave coming on. The tooth had to be pulled and the dentist said i woukd have to be put under. i i told the doctor I did not want versed because I was allergic to Benzos so he offered propofol.

I truly thought this would be a safe alternative to the benzo like Versed. Boy was I ever wrong. Since I walked out of that office I've felt horrible. Almost like the acute phase. I was so close and was feeling so good and this crap wrecked me.  It's been a little over two months and I still feel horrible. All the symps that had finally gone away have returned with a vengeance with no end in sight.

The tooth had to come out and I guess I'm better off but I could not feel worse. I finally researched propofol and it directly effects the CNS. If there's a next time I guess I'll go for the versed

Just thought I'd share this in case someone else is in a similar situation.

Sooner, are you sure it wasn't the antibiotics and not the propofol?  I had propofol during my Ativan taper (my GI knew I was tapering and not to use benzos), and it didn't cause any issues with me.

This is interesting but I am so confused. After one is totally off the benzo, why would one dose of one cause such problems??? Physiologically, I mean. Can anyone explain this to me?

eastcoast

eastcoast - I hope someone else chimes in to answer your question, but I think it is pretty much common knowledge to those of us who have been on this forum for a long time, that taking a dose of any benzo even after we are off, can bring w/d sx all back again.  Our brains heal, but are so very sensitive to any inkling of the drug affecting our neurotransmitters can set us back. 

It's pretty scary when we ultimately will have to face any kind of medical procedures. 

Someone else can most likely answer this way better that I have...but just be very careful in the future..

Hoping

I'm not really sure if this wave was caused by the AB or the propofol. I've read several posts saying antibiotics wreaked havoc on their CNS and set them back. I do know that propofol does act on the CNS as well so maybe it's a combo of both drugs

All I know is I feel like crap and like I did during Mth 6.  It's simply amazing how sensative our bodies are during wd.

Hoping, do not worry. I only asked because zI truly did not knowthe answer. I do not want and am not considering going back on any benzo, sleeping pill, alcohol  and Im having trouble justifying to myself why Im taking the darn Trazedone prescribed for terrible insomnia! Ive become so anti-drug now.

eastcoast

Propofol is actually very safe. It is very short acting, and thus requires a constant drip. You can be sedated with propofol, have the IV stopped, wait a little bit, and drive yourself home.

My friend's father is a dentist.

Michael Jackson died because he was receiving unmonitored doses of it, and may well have had other problems / chemicals which interfered with the propofol.

I should note, though, that any reactivation of the GABA system could reignite problems. In general, one should stay away from GABA drugs as much as possible. It is hard to say whether one dose of propofol would do it. I would think not, but it is hard to say.

Had a colonoscopy last year and decided propofol would be better for me than versed, since versed is in the benzo family.  Long story short.  No problems with the procedure or with the propofol :thumbsup:.  Each individual may have their own sensitivities to different medications.  I can't say that what worked for me will work for others.  By the same token, I don't think one can say to everyone on forum not to use propofol if a procedure must be done that requires anesthesia.

Best,

Vertigo