Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Rosegal,

I am sorry you are getting all those sx's.

My mom had all those sx's when she first tapered ashton style off ativan in 2012.

Hers lasted about 4 months but got gradually better.

This taper, my mom had to c/o to the valium, but if she would have been stronger, I would have prefered to taper using ativan.

Tapering off the drug that was originally used is the best idea if possible.

Hi mertmeo,

I'm just getting worried because now I have heart irregularities,

Seems the taper exposed the condition,

Did your mom get lots of fatigue. And lightheaded too?

In going to go slow. And plan to see some good days.

This week has been bad. Now a stomach bug,

Not eating much. 

I was on it 15 years.

I hope I can get off this.    That's the plan. 

Did your mom take it long?

Thanks for reply.

Rose

Rosegal

I am sorry too about the sx. I experience them too. Sometimes my legs feel they are going to just crumple up like a rag doll ..lately I am experiencing ghastly tummy problems.

All I can say to you is I'm certain this is all withdrawal.. I have been tapering 9 months now and am now holding until after my shift. It's too stressful. I actually up dosed due to the severeness of the sx. And am back at 1 mg. am managing better except for the anxiety.

It's all normal for what we are doing. We gotta just hang on in there the best we can . I know that sounds pretty lame when your're out of puff for all this but we just have too...

No going back now..I'm sticking with the Ativan taper though as like you found the Valium worse..

Take care xxx

Bozobertie, thanks for reply.

Yes tummy is bad. And anxiety. But I guess that's part of wds.

The heart issues have me worried too. Not good in wd

So then I get sad. Because I am not myself.

I should be use to it by now. I've done this over a year also.

It's the only way. Not detox. No cold turkey.

It's the daily taper. And sxs.

I know you are really trying too and you work. That's amazing. It probably helps your mood.

I get so isolated and struggle thru the day .

I think you are doing good.

Good outlook.

I am working on my optimism. It just gets hard.

Hugs.  Xx. Terry

Hi mertmeo,

I'm just getting worried because now I have heart irregularities,

Seems the taper exposed the condition,

Did your mom get lots of fatigue. And lightheaded too?

In going to go slow. And plan to see some good days.

This week has been bad. Now a stomach bug,

Not eating much. 

I was on it 15 years.

I hope I can get off this.    That's the plan. 

Did your mom take it long?

Thanks for reply.

Rose

Hi Rose,

My mom was on ativan around 5 years the first time and tapered for 4 months cutting the pills in half.

She went thru 4 months of acute sx's, fatigue, jelly legs, temple headaches, stinging, burning feet and legs, insomnia, several ER trips and supplemental oxygen.

By the 6th month, all the sx's were gone except some residual anxiety.

This taper, she nealy died because the ativan caused her respiratory center to stop sensing CO2.

She still has this sx but most of the other sx's are gone except fatigue, insomnia, fear, panics and phlegm.

As I tapered her on the valium, I found the rate where she would do better when holding and tried to stick with that.

She has been tapering for 28 months and will probably take another 9 months for recovery, but don't know for sure.

She should be off in Dec.

On the valium, my mom had bp thru the roof, underlying vasculitis disease, GI problems of every kind.

I really had no choice but to do the valium in her case and this allowed for a smoother taper, but the extra different sx's and the valium not completely covering her oxygen issue made this very difficult.

Mrtmeo

Those side effects sound horrific. I'm curious about the Ativan causing the respitory system not to recognise CO2 . Is there some underlying condition? It would be a very rare side effect wouldn't it?

I have only recently had all the gastro tummy side effects. Have to be so very careful what and how much I eat now. Otherwise I'm  a bloated , gassy, mess by the evening !

don't forget me.....I am right here with you all. My head feels so weird and woozy/dizzy all day long now

I have the diazepam but am reluctant to c/o because I wasn't all that great on it last time.

I am still not convinced this thing in my head is all benzo/ssri w/d

teary eyed today and yesterday...not being out in the sun is effecting my mood (yes I take Vit D)

I guess I will have to try cutting again but am so scared because of how sick I feel

scared to death...this is awful. If I was not a Christian I probably would "off" myself...but that's not going to happen EVER...so I suffer

I am thankful I can come here and rant...

Mrtmeo

Those side effects sound horrific. I'm curious about the Ativan causing the respitory system not to recognise CO2 . Is there some underlying condition? It would be a very rare side effect wouldn't it?

I have only recently had all the gastro tummy side effects. Have to be so very careful what and how much I eat now. Otherwise I'm  a bloated , gassy, mess by the evening !

My mom didn't have this problem with her first taper.

It happened when she reinstated with some expired ativan.

However, Dr Ashton does mention this issue with a problem with CO2 here

"Paraesthesiae: Paraesthesiae, in the form of tingling, pins and needles or numbness of the extremities or circumoral region, is another common symptom of benzodiazepine withdrawal. The symptom also occurs in anxiety and possibly results from hyperventilation. Benzodiazepines depress the sensitivity of the respiratory centre to carbon dioxide (Gilmartin, Corris, Stone, Veale, & Gibson, 1988) and it is possible that the respiratory centre becomes hypersensitive during withdrawal, triggering hyperventilation. Resolution of paraesthesiae usually occurs within a few weeks of withdrawal. Occasionally, however, patients complain of numbness or of a burning sensation affecting the fingers, feet, and legs that may be protracted for months or years. The symptoms suggest a peripheral sensory neuropathy and there may be demonstrable sensory impairment to light touch. Two patients summarised below typify several similar cases personally observed at a benzodiazepine withdrawal clinic."

http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashpws.htm

Onelove had the desaturation issue as well, but hers resolved a few months after crossing over to valium.

Wow ..double wow! Didn't realise that at all . Probably just as well!

Thank you for the link. It doesn't appear as if it's one of the most common symptons ( comparing to anxiety insomnia gastro etc) and also seems to be more prevelant in stopping cold turkey.

I wonder if the fact the Ativan were expired mimicked cold turkey in the body? How old were they?

The reason I ask is because I am using some at the moment that are over a year old and got me wondering about the seizure I experienced..

What doesn't this drug do !!

Wow ..double wow! Didn't realise that at all . Probably just as well!

Thank you for the link. It doesn't appear as if it's one of the most common symptons ( comparing to anxiety insomnia gastro etc) and also seems to be more prevelant in stopping cold turkey.

I wonder if the fact the Ativan were expired mimicked cold turkey in the body? How old were they?

The reason I ask is because I am using some at the moment that are over a year old and got me wondering about the seizure I experienced..

What doesn't this drug do !!

It's never a good idea to use expired rx.

My mom's was about 3 years expired.

She was taking them randomly, so it was more like little cold turkeys over and over again after her cns was just getting over the first withdrawal.

She never told anyone that she reinstated either.

Hey guys! I've been in bed for nearly two weeks now.  Things are not going well for me after an aggressive, panicked, and (fair enough to say) careless taper.  It feels like I've been hit by a truck and I'm still suffering physically.  Headaches, nausea, and crazy fatigue.  I also am feeling a good bit of sadness at the prospect that withdrawal will be this bad.  I have so many responsibilities and these past day all I've been able to do is sit here in bed.

So, assuming I improve to a decent sense of normality, (is there hope for that? please say there is...)  what do you guys recommend for tapering off Lorazepam in a way that will keep my symptoms mild and manageable.  Is that even possible?  I know everyone is different but I'd like to go into this with the best plan possible - one I can sustain with minimal impact on my life and health.  I'm super busy with my family - four kids and career.  I love my family and work and want to be there for the people I serve.  (I'm sure that's the goal for all of us).

I was prescribed .5mg 3x a day over 4 years ago during treatment for neurological Lyme disease / MS.  (long story) I'm done with my treatment and (as far as I can tell am in remission)  I have been on that dose ever since.  Now am on my third taper off of the "maintenance 'brain' drugs" they had me on.  I can't wait to be off all of this stuff.  Thanks so much for your help!  I really appreciate it! 

Hey guys! I've been in bed for nearly two weeks now.  Things are not going well for me after an aggressive, panicked, and (fair enough to say) careless taper.  It feels like I've been hit by a truck and I'm still suffering physically.  Headaches, nausea, and crazy fatigue.  I also am feeling a good bit of sadness at the prospect that withdrawal will be this bad.  I have so many responsibilities and these past day all I've been able to do is sit here in bed.

So, assuming I improve to a decent sense of normality, (is there hope for that? please say there is...)  what do you guys recommend for tapering off Lorazepam in a way that will keep my symptoms mild and manageable.  Is that even possible?  I know everyone is different but I'd like to go into this with the best plan possible - one I can sustain with minimal impact on my life and health.  I'm super busy with my family - four kids and career.  I love my family and work and want to be there for the people I serve.  (I'm sure that's the goal for all of us).

I was prescribed .5mg 3x a day over 4 years ago during treatment for neurological Lyme disease / MS.  (long story) I'm done with my treatment and (as far as I can tell am in remission)  I have been on that dose ever since.  Now am on my third taper off of the "maintenance 'brain' drugs" they had me on.  I can't wait to be off all of this stuff.  Thanks so much for your help!  I really appreciate it! 

Unfortunately, there is no easy way out of this, but crossing over to valium which is a longer acting benzo can help a taper go smoother.

If you are interested in valium, you can ask your questions at the valium support thread

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96753.0

Hi buddies,

I'm going to cut .0625. From .875 mg tomorrow...

Probably my noon dose.

Now I'm at .125. 7am

.125 noon

.125 5 pm

.5 bedtime..

I use the higher dose bc of sleep...is this wise? Should I cut differently?

Is .875 considered a low dose?

I held two weeks...

I'm still woozy, head fogged, loss of sleep, fatigued..

I just got up to dress...woozy..

Does  rainy , damp weather . Affect you worse?

It's been two days and I feel worse...

What is a .0625 cut, please percentage wise?

About 7%.

Can someone give me an easy formula to figure this?

I was a wiz at math years ago....was a nurse, but have trouble now....

Also, I know this is not advised, but could a small amt of Valium/diazepam. Say, 1 mg..help taper down?

Then keep cutting Ativan?  As a help..... I still have diazepam pills left from 8 months ago..

Probably about 50.  1 mg sections..

What would 1 mg of diazepam be in Ativan, about .25? Ativan..

The benzo charts differ.......

Thank you.

Please any replies helpful..

Terry. Rose.

Hi buddies,

I'm going to cut .0625. From .875 mg tomorrow...

Probably my noon dose.

Now I'm at .125. 7am

.125 noon

.125 5 pm

.5 bedtime..

I use the higher dose bc of sleep...is this wise? Should I cut differently?

Is .875 considered a low dose?

I held two weeks...

I'm still woozy, head fogged, loss of sleep, fatigued..

I just got up to dress...woozy..

Does  rainy , damp weather . Affect you worse?

It's been two days and I feel worse...

What is a .0625 cut, please percentage wise?

About 7%.

Can someone give me an easy formula to figure this?

I was a wiz at math years ago....was a nurse, but have trouble now....

Also, I know this is not advised, but could a small amt of Valium/diazepam. Say, 1 mg..help taper down?

Then keep cutting Ativan?  As a help..... I still have diazepam pills left from 8 months ago..

Probably about 50.  1 mg sections..

What would 1 mg of diazepam be in Ativan, about .25? Ativan..

The benzo charts differ.......

Thank you.

Please any replies helpful..

Terry. Rose.

Hi Rose,

You have the math right.

I would not consider .875mg low dose of ativan.

The lowest prescribed dose of ativan is .5mg.

As far as potency, I can only speculate compared with valium.

The lowest therapeutic dose of valium is 2mg which would be equivelant to .2mg of ativan.

Hopefully, someone else can answer your other questions.

Rose...I am going to add 1mg of diaz and cut .125 loraz from night dose...that's almost equal we can talk if you feel that this is something that you are actually going to do

Lain,

Is 1 mg diazepam equal to about .125. Or .10 lorazepam?

Just returned from market...yuck rain and cloudy..

Mornings are my worse time...

I have some Diaz left. I was going to possibly use as a helper on rough days...( you know the kind).

Terry Rose.

For what it's worth that's what I did for the night time dose. Substituted with a tiny amount of dizapam. Hope you have more success than me. I find even the tiniest dose of dizapam knocks me off balance. But that's just my system .. All the best x

I am so woozy and off balanced now.....never was like this when I was on all diazepam...so hoping for improvement

this may be migraine related though

Hi

I need some help with regards to tapering, I currently use 2mgs of Lorazepam per day, I had a conversation with my GP yesterday who has agreed considering that the antidepressant having not kicked in yet for generalised anxiety and the fact that I have 4 children with Xmas coming up - I decided that I wanted to wait until January if I am going to suffer badly at least my Husband will be home with me. Anxiety caused me to have intrusive thoughts which is my main cause of anxiety at present.

My GP mentioned a tapering period of 3 weeks which I am extremely anxious about although I will have not used the drug for more than 3 months. I mentioned switching to diazepam which may also help with my insomnia in which he seemed happy to do as I want as little disruption as possible.

My question is could you outline a guide that I could discuss with him. I usually take 0.75 in the morning, 0.5 afternoon, 0.5 before bed and when I wake during the night 0.5mg.

If a taper is done with diazepam will I experience horrendous symptoms - I am pretty petrified and anxious at the moment.

Thank you 

Modify message

Hi Forest1980

Good on you for starting to consider a withdrawal off the Ativan ..

Personally I would wait until January before starting as over Xmas is a high stress time.

To me it seems three weeks is quite a short taper time , even only having taken it for three months.. Most important is your relationship with your GP .. If you have trust and confidence in their ability to manage your withdrawal then be guided by them. As regards switching to diazepam no one can tell you what side effects you will ( or not) get . There are no rules ! It depends entirely on you yourself.. For some it is a great transition and works well . For others it doesn't work so well.. It may be that you try substituting part of your dose rather than all of it for a crossover.

We are all on the same road here ! I personally have found this board an absolute great support. No judgements just great support ..

Keep in mind that we will all experience withdrawl a little bit differently because we are all different as human beings.. Hopefully at three months it's not going to be so arduous for you ..

All the best and keep in touch here on how you go ..

BB x   

Lainey and rosegal,

1mg Lorazepam is = 10mg valium, so it is a factor of 10.

1mg Valium = .1mg Lorazepam (1 ÷ 10)

so by your calculations what would .125mgs Lorazepam = to diazepam