Telephone support and encouragement?

[tw...]

Hi everyone.  I am at the beginning of a long journey that is already extremely hard because I am at a high dose and in tolerance.

I am having a terrible time getting the anxiety/panic to stop once it starts.  I have tried many things and will keep on trying them, but they are not helping me.  I'm talking about the standard stuff -- relaxation techniques, exercise, affirmations, CBT, etc. 

I have found only one thing that really snaps me out of it, and that is talking to another adult -- by phone or in person-- even for a few minutes.  It almost completely removes my anxiety.  It really helps to hear a friendly voice and get some positive encourgement.  But even if I am just chit chatting with someone who doesn't know my benzo issues, that helps sometimes too because it's a distraction. 

Two questions:

1)  Does anyone know of any helplines you can call just to talk for support -- about anxiety or just general help?  I searched online for this type of service, but mostly found suicide hotlines -- that's not what I need.

2)  I wonder if there is any safe way for any of us "buddies" to connect by phone.  I have one female buddy who I hit it off with online and we PM'd a lot and got to know each other.  When we were both sure that the other was not a cyber-stalker, she suggested speaking by phone and it has been extremely helpful.  She's a wonderful person just going through the same stuff we all are.  I know there are saftey and legal concerns when you deal with the internet, but it woud be really nice to hear a supportive voice from time to time (maybe this is a something the moderators could think about -- please don't say no right away.)

I welcome any input or suggestions especially about question #1.

Hi Twell,

We discourage the exchange of personal information for the reasons you mentioned, it's just not a good idea.  I've seen some unpleasant situations arise from this practice in my time here, I'd hate to see anyone get themselves into a situation which could cause them further distress.  Now is the time when I copy and paste our Forum User Manual into this thread.  ;)

We strongly discourage members from exchanging personal information through the PM system. It is our experience that while withdrawing members can be very vulnerable and once information is exchanged there is no retrieving it.

While we do our best to insure that the forum is a safe place, it is the nature of the Internet that we never can be 100% certain of anyone. Please consider this very carefully before you decide to exchange any information personal in nature.

No problem, Pamster.  Sorry if I caused any problems.  I tried to delete this post (under anxiety) --- it wasnt' getting any responses anyway, but I don't know how.  So feel free to delete it.

Instead, I posted a similar message ONLY asking about a Help Line, on the Recovery Forum -- since this applies to other symptoms than just anxiety.

Hope that's ok.

BTW, I don't know how I'm going to survive this.  I really don't.

Twell

Hi Twell - so glad you found a phone buddy through BB and that it is a help to you.  I have tried and tried to find a Help Line - there are none in the US that I could find.  There are some in the UK but that is an expensive phone call.  I don't know why the US is so far behind in caring for people like us who are addicted and withdrawing from LEGAL meds.  It's very sad that we are all left on our own to try to get through this.

If I hear of any help lines I will let you know. 

Love Hoping2BFree

• 4 weeks later...

When I started this process I had 9 benzo buddies all over the USA that we did mutual phone support. Because of the time difference from New York to Hawaii you could reach someone at almost any time.

I saved the lives of many of us and they will be freinds for life.

Problem is they are all well and back to full lives - I am still in hell adn dont want to bother them

[55...]
I don't know why the US is so far behind in caring for people like us who are addicted and withdrawing from LEGAL meds.

Good point! I'm thunderstruck on how Doctor's are so careless.

S#

I know I am in New zealand, but I call a phobic support helpline as I am afraid on my own and they will help with that.  Maybe look for this sort of thing

Spring

When I started this process I had 9 benzo buddies all over the USA that we did mutual phone support. Because of the time difference from New York to Hawaii you could reach someone at almost any time.

I saved the lives of many of us and they will be freinds for life.

Problem is they are all well and back to full lives - I am still in hell adn dont want to bother them

HopeToBeMeAgain (Rik), is a previously banned member of this forum (we have banned multiple accounts over the past few years). This account too in now banned. Please read the following notice about HopeToBeMeAgain: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=30724.0

Thank you.