Problem Member - Please Read - Important

[Co...]

HopeToBeMeAgain, AKA, Rik, Sit2KNow (amongst other names), is a banned member of this forum (and all benzo forums that require even the most basic standards of behaviour from its members). The HopeToBeMeAgain account slipped through our fingers for a while, but it too is now banned from this forum.

Rik, as he's most commonly known, is a scaremongerer and a leech. He has variously made claims about being a doctor, a psychotherapist, from the FDA, or whatever suits his motives at a particular point in time. He might even ask you for money for his services as a counsellor. He is dangerous to your mental wellbeing. Please do not engage with him or share your contact details. If you suspect that he has rejoined here under a new name, please post a report to the Contact the Moderation Team board.

The good news is that Rik is easily recognisable to those that have known him for a while. If you report a suspicious member, we have other ways of assessing the validity of the account. Additionally, he's only a problem if you share your contact details and engage him in conversation. He is very adept at making other people feel bad about themselves.

If you have already given your contact details to HopeToBeMeAgain, and he contacts you, we suggest that you tell him that he is not to contact you again. Do not attempt to engage him: he is shameless - your words will have no effect. If he ignores your instruction to not contact you again, we suggest that you contact the police.

It is precisely because of people like Rik that we strongly advise members to not share their real-world contact details or primary e-mail address with other members. The vast majority of our members are totally genuine and good people, but every interactive website attracts its fair share of idiots, trolls, and charlatans - we are no different.

Coincidentally, I posted, only yesterday, a discussion document about updating the advice to members regarding the sharing contact details and personal information. Rik is a prime example of why members should exercise caution wherever they go on the Internet.

Please post comments about the broader issues to the discussion document linked, above. If you have particular concerns about HopeToBeMeAgain (Rik), please contact us using the Contact the Moderation Team board.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [es...]

• [Fr...]

• [el...]

Hi Colin,

Would it be possible for you to have, on the forum boards page, whenever there is an important message, a flashing icon to grab our attention!

I just ( happened ) to come across this message. Good riddance to whoever that phony is!

Thanks,

pj    

Hello PJ,

I have already added notices to all threads to which he has posted, with links back to this thread. Upon your suggestion, I have, in addition, just added a news item about this thread to appear at the top of all the forum pages. ;)

Thank You Colin, I'm sorry that You, Administrators and Moderators have to go through so much to keep this wonderful site safe.

Frannie

[39...]

Hmmm, Rik, Ok, I know you aren't involved with BW, but I wonder if this is the same Rik - Kona Jim there.

Sounds suspicious, the Psychotherapy type poser.

Thank you for keeping us safe. Benzo withdrawal is painful enough without having to worry about people wanting to cause further harm. melo

Hmmm, Rik, Ok, I know you aren't involved with BW, but I wonder if this is the same Rik - Kona Jim there.

Thank you for keeping us safe. Benzo withdrawal is painful enough without having to worry about people wanting to cause further harm. melo

I can't answer for what happens at other benzo forums, nor confirm identities, but Rik was also known as KonaJim at our forum. The account was banned last year, shortly after he created it. Although the account is indeed banned (and does not appear in the membership list), the profile page should be available to you: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3842

I can't answer for what happens at other benzo forums, nor confirm identities, but Rik was also known as KonaJim at our forum. The account was banned last year, shortly after he created it. Although the account is indeed banned (and does not appear in the membership list), the profile page should be available to you: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3842

Thank you colin for this great information.  Sometimes when you are in withdrawal yourself, I know for me you can be vulnerable.  I have to be careful who I can trust right now. I did speak once to a Rik.  He wanted to start a group for anxiety on the forum.  I did not give him my email address.  I do not know if this is the same rik.  Anyway, now I know.  I will not speak to this Rik person, if this is him.. Maybe it is not.  But no more info to people I do not know about.  I thank you for all of your help and concern for me on BB..  You are doing a wonderful job in helping bb with this horrific  ordeal we are all having.    I am so happy I have everyone's love and support here.  I really need it now in my life.  Mishi  Be well Colin

Yes, this person is the same one known as Kona Jim on BW. 

Hi all,

A member asked me 'is this guy, Rik, physically dangerous?' To reassure you all, although, of course, I cannot know the answer to this, what I can say is that I am not aware of him making any physical threats. All the complaints I have come across relate to his misrepresentations, and how he makes those in contact with him feel worse. It is highly unusual for us to post about a banned member like this, but when eljay came across a suspicious post last night (and our checks confirmed his identity) I decided enough is enough, and posted this thread.

We have made it absolutely crystal-clear to Rik that he is not welcome here, yet every-so-often, we come across a new account belonging to him. He varies his benzodiazepine details: sometimes he withdrew many years ago; and other times (like with his latest account), his use has been much more recent. What doesn't vary though, are his attempts to manipulate members and suggestions of personal contact away from the forum.

Anyway, I hope this helps reassure you all.

Talk about preying on the vulnerable... this forum is full of people who are confused and anxious to get better. The extreme nature of withdrawal can make us more susceptible to gullibility.  Prime targets for people like him.  I always wondered how people can live with themselves preying on the weak, the sick, and the unstable (read lots of stories about people losing money to phony cancer cures).  

Just glad we have vigilante people running this forum.

I was in touch with this guy for a few days, and last heard from him about 9 days ago.  He didn't seem threatening in this case and did not ask directly for money, he only talked about benzo related medical issues from memory.  I can't say from that whether he was lying to me or not really, or what his plans were...maybe he contacts heaps of people on forums and only keeps in touch with those he feels comfortable with.  I'd say be wary of him, and remember that he may not always sound dangerous if he happens to get another account here.

Thanks Colin for taking measures to stop con-men or whatever this person is.

Bravo.

I've watched this character "Rik" operate and have been thoroughly disgusted with his predatory behavior.

I watched him diagnose members of various forums with illnesses - to the best of my knowledge he sells used RVs.

Well done Colin.

Thanks Colin for looking after us.  A job well done.  I really count on you and other moderators to make BBs the sane, healthy, supportive, inspired site it is.  I have been on other boards and BBs outshines them with its sanity and clarity. 

Talk about preying on the vulnerable... this forum is full of people who are confused and anxious to get better. The extreme nature of withdrawal can make us more susceptible to gullibility.  Prime targets for people like him.  I always wondered how people can live with themselves preying on the weak, the sick, and the unstable (read lots of stories about people losing money to phony cancer cures).

Rik has a habit of targeting those that are at their most vulnerable. And, as you write, benzodiazepines often affect good judgment.

Just glad we have vigilante people running this forum.

Well, we try to be vigilant. We wouldn't, of course, endorse vigilantism! Your typo did give me a laugh. ;D

I was in touch with this guy for a few days, and last heard from him about 9 days ago.  He didn't seem threatening in this case and did not ask directly for money, he only talked about benzo related medical issues from memory.  I can't say from that whether he was lying to me or not really, or what his plans were...maybe he contacts heaps of people on forums and only keeps in touch with those he feels comfortable with.  I'd say be wary of him, and remember that he may not always sound dangerous if he happens to get another account here.

Thanks Colin for taking measures to stop con-men or whatever this person is.

I might provide links to some more profiles he has used on this forum (and maybe elsewhere too). (Edit: I have decided, for the time being at least, not to do this) Whatever his agenda, it is not to provide genuine support to other members of our (or other) forum(s).

Bravo.

I've watched this character "Rik" operate and have been thoroughly disgusted with his predatory behavior.

I watched him diagnose members of various forums with illnesses - to the best of my knowledge he sells used RVs.

Well done Colin.

Rik does not exclusively operate at benzodiazepine forums - and certainly not just our forum. Any forum that gives a damn will not tolerate him or his activities and ban his account.

Thanks Colin for looking after us.  A job well done.  I really count on you and other moderators to make BBs the sane, healthy, supportive, inspired site it is.  I have been on other boards and BBs outshines them with its sanity and clarity. 

Thank you, jennieh,

We try to be straightforward with our members, set appropriate rules and  provide appropriate guidance. We understand that it can be very difficult for those on benzodiazepines to behave themselves as they would if not for the meds they take. So, we try to cut them some slack, sending heads-up PMs and warnings before we usually take any consequential action. Even then, we will usually suspend particular functions for a set period of time. It is, actually, quite difficult to be banned from this forum, but this does not mean we will not tackle behavior that affects other members and the smooth running of this community. At the the end of the day, even though we understand that some of our members might not be able to help themselves, we must look out for the wider membership and ban a few individuals. Rik is one of those people. I suspect that he cannot help himself.

TS,

Great to see you after all this time. I hope you are well.

You might try contacting the forum Admin at BW with your concerns. ;)

Well, we try to be vigilant. We wouldn't, of course, endorse vigilantism! Your typo did give me a laugh. grin

Oh my oops  :-[ Instead of correcting my typo I will just rephrase the sentence.

I am glad we don't have vigilantes running this forum! 

Well, we try to be vigilant. We wouldn't, of course, endorse vigilantism! Your typo did give me a laugh. grin

Oh my oops  :-[ Instead of correcting my typo I will just rephrase the sentence.

I am glad we don't have vigilantes running this forum! 

:laugh:

That's right - no vigilantes running the forum.  What we need is a good old fashioned Anarchist or Dictator!  Are you up for it Colin?  :2funny:

Seriously, thank you for making this a safe place for all.  It's hard to do, but you and all the mods to a great job.

With much appreciation,

Sara

TS,

Great to see you after all this time. I hope you are well.

You might try contacting the forum Admin at BW with your concerns. ;)

Colin, you make me smile.  I don't think the Admin at BW  would be concerned with my concerns. ;)  You know how they roll on that forum.

I'd like to thank you again.  The word is spreading and Mr Rik is being neutralized on medical forums worldwide (even on bw.com).  Ha ha ha.

Thanks!

Hi,

I've been asked if I will detail Rik's banned accounts with BenzoBuddies. This list is unlikely to include all the accounts he has created here - these are just the ones we have banned. When he has tried to login with any of his banned accounts, he will have been faced with a ban notice explaining the reasons for the ban. He has continually ignored our bans. You might compare his comments from the different accounts for inconsistencies.

HopeToBeMeAgain; KonaJim; Razzle; Sit2Know; Rik9393; sail_a_wai; RixRaz

Although I was long warned about Rik, I allowed him the opportunity to prove himself at our forum. We have a policy of judging members by their behaviour at this forum. Well, his behaviour was identical to the behaviour witnessed elsewhere. In addition, I was made aware of the following persona, "Dr. James", some time ago (and confirmed his identity through e-mail details). Further, HopeToBeMeAgain recently posted about biofeedback at our forum.

You might like to compare this post from HopeToBemeAgain (Rik): http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=29209.msg447772#msg447772

With this one from "Dr James" (James Roberts, AKA Rik): [nobbc]http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/wellness/570283.html[/nobbc]

Copied here, it case it disappears:

Posted by Dr. James R. [2174.7821] on July 03, 2009 at 22:05:32:

I want to give a high five to Dr. Stoll for his two books. I split my time as a medical journalist and senior editor, practicing medical psychologist, neuroresearcher and working my own healing program (again)!

I have only skimmed Dr. Stoll books and have not had time to cover the far corners of his web site. What I see is dead on for what I have found to work for me and my patients. I specialize in treating anxiety disorders and psychiatric drug detox...especially the benzodiazepine tranquilizers that wreck total destruction on the nervous system.

I especially like his analogy of the cliff. I tell my patients that staying away from the razors edge is 1000 times easier than crawling out of a breakdown hole.

Since we know that 85% of all patients presenting at a GP's office have stress overload disorders the SR is CRITICAL and knowing how to do it correctly with biofeedback so you aren't just sitting. What is exciting is that there are over 60 recognized allostatic load disorders that can be corrected without caustic drugs and expensive doctors - I work with patients with several: anxiety, panic, IBS, MCS, TMJ, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.

I got too self-assured, gave up my rigorous self-care for "Doing" more and more and now have to work another recovery program - this time I have "Got It" and wont allow myself to circle the drain again.

I appreciate Dr. Stolls work and look for ward to reading his book cover to cover.

Dr. James R.

I was first warned about Rik some 18 months ago (I know for a fact that the owners of other benzo forums were warned too). As I said, I decided to make make my own assessment of Rik - of course I do not blame other benzo forums taking some time to make their own assessment. However, it does become quite obvious, quite quickly, what Rik is about. Despite warnings, he attempted to gain the personal contact details of other members, post scaremongering material, and misrepresent his history and credentials. When banned, he will create new accounts. Of the accounts we have banned, some were created a long time ago - probably as some kind of back-up or to check us out for a future project. Yes, there are probably other undiscovered accounts too. But, as I wrote before, once he starts posting (coupled with other information), it becomes quite obvious to us when this is Rik.

Hi,

Just to add, there appears to be genuine James R. Roberts, MD, so be careful of jumping to conclusions if you come across this name.

Thanks.