My addiction

[na...]

Hello, my name is Fernando.

I took clonazepam for one year, and left it with no withdrawal symptoms. I was benzo free for a while, then I got back on clonazepam, it's been almost four years now, I started to taper .5mg as of last wednesday. So far I have felt mild anxiety all day, and then at nights it gets worse, sometimes I have a panic attack.

The main reason to do this taper, was because the clonazepam stopped working, I tried a dose of 4mg and still didn't feel relief. I was taking 2mg's all days with no exception. My psychiatrist asked me many times why I wanted to keep taking it, I gave excuses as to why. I made the dumb mistake to mix it with alcohol to get more relaxed and high. My first psychiatrist only made my illness worse by giving me different benzos, and making doses high for everything, that's the main reason I left seeing him.

My current psychiatrist treated me with low dosages, and it worked pretty good, have been stable since then (I have schizoaffective disorder), but she doesn't like my klonopin use. So I decided to quit benzos finally and told her. I'll taper .5mg each week. I think the faster this is done, the better, but not going cold turkey. If it gets unmanageable, I'll then recurr to use substitution method.

The anxiety from withdrawing so far upsets me, when it goes stronger I feel bad, I just lay in bed and let it pass, sometimes I feel like pulling my hair from the anxiety.

Any words, advices are welcome!

I'm staying strong so far, and hope to get to the point of being benzo free, I know withdrawal symptoms will last a while. But I'm not giving up.

Hello Fernando,

Sound like you're getting some good help from your Doctor.

Sorry to hear about the increase in anxiety. You're right it's one of the unfortunate symptoms caused from trying to be free from this medication.

If you would like, you can look over the anxiety section at this link. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0

Are you taking any other medications?

Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Mike

Yes. Risperdal (1mg), Valproate sodium(600mg), Levomepromazine(25mg), Zoloft(100mg).

I'm a freelancer, I work as a coder of websites (before that I had 6 years job with my dad as sysadmin), I have photography as a hobbie also. If anyone wants to see the site is http://www.f-ochoa.com

I enjoy a lot coding, it's my passion.

I have had major depressive episodes, mania, psychosis. But I have been stable for two years now.

Recently my psychiatrist increased valproate 200mg to help with anxiety, so far it works but sometimes anxiety overcomes.

Those pictures were amazing! You're very talented. :thumbsup:

There are some other Buddies here, that are taking similar medications as you are. I'm sure in time ,they will be by to say hello.

Thanks!

I'm glad to know there is such site as this, I'm sure it will be helpful, and it's good to know I'm not alone in this.

[3c...]

Hey there nav,

Yes. Risperdal (1mg), Valproate sodium(600mg), Levomepromazine(25mg), Zoloft(100mg).

I'm on The Risperdal 4mg a day...

Valproate sodium is Depakote... I suppose to be on 2000 mg a day, but am not taking this one.

Zoloft... I was on a very short time.

Welcoming you to BB,

Keryn.

Hey there!

Yeah, I've heard many get way undesired side effects from Valproate, I find that dose high also but if it works then it's good. I'm weird when it comes to side effects the most I experience and currently have is tremor in hands, that's about it.

I just read your signature, seizures and sz. =(

My case is schizoaffective, and one neurologist found I have a mild brain injury, I think this caused the disorder and family history as well.

How are you doing lately?

[3c...]

I just read your signature, seizures and sz. =(

My case is schizoaffective, and one neurologist found I have a mild brain injury, I think this caused the disorder and family history as well.

How are you doing lately?

Hey there,

I'm not sure about the seizures yet. I had an EEG which was normal. The MRI was inconclusive. I had one EEG that was not normal.

So I don't know about the seizures, tho I have had a few in my lifetime, as a kiddo I did.

I have Paranoid Schizophrenia and I have had it since practically childhood. My entire father's side of the family has it, so I think it was inherited.

The Schizo has really done a number on me, losing years and causing havoc. I tried going off the Risperdal cold turkey.. don't do this! OMG especially if you're schizoeffect or schizo. I was ok for a while, then I started having the schizo again. I hate taking the Risperdal, but the only thing that shifts my illness.

Don't cold turkey the Risperdal!! or any med. I have delusions and everything else because of the schizo. I'm not stable at all without the Risperdal, and one day HOPE TO BE OFF IT.

At the time I'm tapering Valium, it's hard to do, and that's why I'm here, to support and get support.

There are lots of good mods and buddies here.

I'm sorry to hear about the injury.

Keryn.

When I get medication changes, most of them are gradually, and I barely have any withdrawal symptom. I left effexor cold turkey, it only caused me more anxiety and I felt still depressed, for some effexor is a lifetime sentence, I'm glad I did not have withdrawal symptoms.

[3c...]

When I get medication changes, most of them are gradually, and I barely have any withdrawal symptom. I left effexor cold turkey, it only caused me more anxiety and I felt still depressed, for some effexor is a lifetime sentence, I'm glad I did not have withdrawal symptoms.

I left effexor cold turkey

Oh I left it cold turkey too,

I had Brain zaps and everything else. BUT get this!!!! OMG, I cold turkied Ativan not long after, had no withdrawal from it then. This was back in 2002.

I cold turkied a lot of meds, AND I had no withdrawal, but I tried to c/t the Klonopin and it floored me. I then started to taper it, I cross over to 45mg of Valium after I cut to 2.5mg from 4-5mg a day. Before I started the tapoer back in 2007, was June 14 to be exact. I c/t Lithium and Remeron with no problems. Strange, I know.

I'm not suggesting anyone to cold turkie anything, but the Risperdal I have to stick with, or Invega. I was on Haldol, it worked, but the thing is it had so many side effects.

What Benzo are you coming off of?

Klonopin, was taking 2mg's and now I take 1.5mg since wednesday.

I got an irrational fear tonight, to ghosts as I did since I was a child til I was 14, it was weird, as if flashback or momentary regression. Having anxiety problems most of the day. I can feel it in my chest.

[3c...]

Klonopin, was taking 2mg's and now I take 1.5mg since wednesday.

I got an irrational fear tonight, to ghosts as I did since I was a child til I was 14, it was weird, as if flashback or momentary regression. Having anxiety problems most of the day. I can feel it in my chest.

I know that feeling! I have those fears too. Flashbacks of the past, and it's like you're actually in that year, age, totally different person and everything. I have the anxiety as well. I had it before any Benzo's. I hope it goes away.

How long on the Klonopin?

I would taper off it slowly. How do you plan on tapering off it?

.5mg each week, I think faster the better, just not cold turkey, and if I see it's unmanageable I'll go for subsitution method.

Going to sleep now, hope the tinnitus lets me sleep.

[3c...]

.5mg each week, I think faster the better, just not cold turkey, and if I see it's unmanageable I'll go for subsitution method.

Going to sleep now, hope the tinnitus lets me sleep.

Yeah, that's a bit fast...

Hope the tinnitus lets up. I have it off and on... usually in the mornings.

.5mg a week? that is extremely fast.  Faster is not always better because you can have protracted withdrawals from coming off too quickly.  People have been okay c/t or tapering fast, but that is the exception not the rule. 

Most recommended advice is a crossover to valium because it has a longer half-life and you don't have as much interdose withdrawals.  Most people find that 10% cuts ever 2 weeks is what usually works best.

I can't predict the outcome of your rapid taper, but a 3 week rapid taper could lead to many months of protracted withdrawal symptoms. Whereas a several month slow taper could leave you with just mild manageable anxiety afterwards for a short period of time.

It is up to you, but I recommend making small cuts if you stay on klon and then stabilizing. Then making another small cut, stabilizing... lather, rinse, repeat.

Thanks again Crono, I'll see the next taper, and think more about it if harsh symptoms appear, if I see this is happening, I'll taper every 2 weeks, and do 10% cuts.

Also, I'm worried since I have hypertension, I hope the withdrawal doesn't rises bp and such...