Here for support

[Ti...]

I am here for support to ensure that I stay strong and stay off of benzos. I recently suffered a terrible loss in my family and am struggling with going back to my doctor because I do not want to be put back on to benzos for anxiety. I was on .25 mg of Xanax for 10 years and the withdrawal was so bad. I've been off for 5 years and do not want to start again.

Hello Tiny Hopeful,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you are here!  I am so sorry you've had a loss in your family but you are wise to get support during this time so that you can hopefully avoid starting benzos again.  It is good to hear you stopped Xanax five years ago and are committed to staying off it.  Are you having anxiety and/or depression in relation to your family situation?

I've put a few links below that may be useful to you.  You can look around the site to see what looks helpful to you.  If you have questions or need help, please let us know.

Again, welcome,

Kate08

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Anxiety

Depression

Sorry for your Loss hopeful and welcome to BB. Grief is a very painful but necessary emotion to help us heal when we lose ppl in our lives that we love. Benzos and SSRIs long-term are usually not the answer. Benzos can be used temporarily for a few days to effectively allow us to get a night or two of sleep for example or ratchet down the intense pain we feel for a few days to help us over a hurdle, but should never be used other than this long-term to help us cope. Since you were once on xanax for 10 years, you know exactly what I am talking about. Perhaps talking about your loss and telling others how and what you are feeling might help alleviate some of the pain if you feel up to sharing...IDK.