Clonazepam over to Diazepam

[qu...]

You might want to ask the members who hang out on this thread, they have experience.  Valium Support Group

From what I've heard the two biggest complaints when switching over and sedation and depression, some members will go back to their original benzo because they can't handle it but I've heard it lessens as you get used to it.  Once switched though, it can be a smoother taper because of Valiums long half life and the fact that it comes in small dose pills.  Some doctors are hesitant to prescribe Valium.

Any switch will cause issues, the time it takes to cross over plus getting used to a new drug, you'll still feel withdrawal symptoms though, there doesn't seem to be a way around that.

My switcover was not difficult. In fact I felt better on Valium than on Klonopin. I was actually able to speeed up Professor Ashtons timetable slightly. But I am the exception, not the rule, and recommend using the Ashton Manual's timetable and not do what I did. I know another person on here (you'll probably meet her on the Valium board) who sped it up and it was a disaster for her. It comes in lower doses and has longer half life so it makes the tapering process smoother. When you get to the lower doses, it does come in a liquid form. But many just weigh the 2 mg pills minus the dose reduction by shaving or crushing.

I did want to clarify one thing, while it's not possible, at least for most of us here to get away from withdrawal symptoms we can greatly minimize them by doing a slow taper.  Its important for you to know that rushing to get off of the drug won't aid in your recovery, it just makes you hurt more on the way down.  Doing a slow taper will allow you to remain functional so you can live your life as you rid yourself of the drug, going fast will leave you non functioning and hurting even when you're benzo free.

I crossed over from Clonazepam to Valium.  (diazepam)

It went OK.  I was extra sleepy for a week or so, but it made my ride much smoother.

I agree with Pamster.  I am strong for my age and gender.  I thought my withdrawal would be different.  I couldn't believe my taper would take very long.  I was wrong about that, and more than once I have sabotaged myself with cutting too fast.... I'm still learning about that.

Big hugs..... 

You guys are amazing. Yes,my doctor had me tapering too fast. I am going slow now working with a much better doctor. I am hopeful

• 4 weeks later...
So Queendetermined, It appears they updosed you slightly on the switchover.  As it sounds like the dose you were on would have been more equivalent to 2 mgs of valium?  How did they do the changeover? 

• Popular Now