Low dose Xanax taper

[Rc...]

I am a 70 year old man with multiple autoimmune issues. I, also am dealing with anxiety and depression.  The good news is that I am " only" on 1 mg of Xanax per day. The problem is that I have been on it for close to 2 years. I really want to be off of it as I feel it is making the anxiety much worse.  Mindfulness, Acceptance therapy, guided meditation, walking and a healthy lifestyle are my way of dealing with these issues.

My question is this,,,,, does anyone have experience weaning off of a dose this small? It appears we are planning on 8 weeks. Time will tell.

Much thanks and best to all,

Rcristal

Hi Rcristal  :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad you are here,  you are making a great decision in tapering off your Xanax.  1 mg Xanax is not such a low dose.  I suggest you do some research before you decide, check out the taper plan boards and post questions.  You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum    We have a great community filled with compassionate members who will support and encourage you.

Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly, reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb. You can go slower,  whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

I would recommend reading through The Ashton Manual.  It is a great resource for understanding the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as tapering and withdrawal information, It includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

The Xanax Club

We have a dedicated board dealing with Anxiety issues,  you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita