On klonopin for 16 years and need to get off of it

[Jo...]

Hi, I've been on Klonopin since 2004. I was diagnosed with GAD and OCD.  I've been at the same dosage the whole 16 years which is only .5 daily. I have not started a taper because I'm dealing with some new anxiety issues but with my doctor I'm planning to start a taper as soon as I'm better equiped. I am also taking hydroxyzine because my doctor wants to see if that will help with my withdrawal. She's not a psychiatrist so I'm a bit worried. That's why I'd like to be a member here for advice and support and I really want to start this off the right way. Thank you.

Hello Jolibean :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies! 

We're glad to have you here.  You'll find plenty of information and support here.  It’s great that you have your doctors support, let her know that a  slow taper is the way to go with benzodiazepines.  Our members have gone through all aspects of withdrawal and will tell you what worked for them.  Please feel free to browse the forum, post questions regarding your taper on the taper boards.

It’s generally recommended to reducing the dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Taper according to how you feel, whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep any symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

We have a dedicated board dealing with anxiety issues,  I'll give you a link to it so you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita