Xanax:

Day

6am  .25mg

10am  .25mg

2pm    .25Mg

6pm    .25mg

Bed

9:30-10pm-1mg xanax, 1.5K

I'm not sure of how one tapers on 2 benzos? Which to do first etc. Can anyone help with that please?

Do I make cuts using percentage & or amount off of the total of both benzos? Or off each benzo individually? One at a time?

For example 5% off total daily of Kpin  for 3 weeks, holding kpin steady? And or .0625 reduction from 𝑻𝒐𝒕𝒂𝒍 daily Xanax while holding k pin steady?

Or make a percentage reduction from one benzo, but use the total of both kpin & xanax when calculating the the percentage reduction?

I'm not sure if I'll do some cut & holds or dry micro taper with scale or both. But dry will be the way I'm sure I'll go.

I'm in a precarious situation, as I've been stuck in Derealization with visual distortions, since soon after I switched out half my clonazepam for equal amounts half alprazolam.

I didn't think it was from benzos when symptoms started.

I'm having very poor cognition, no short term memory.

From what the few others on here that have DP DR have said is I probably won't stabilize & only way out is to taper.??

So that's what I'm trying to plan & learn the best way to do, when it comes to 2 benzodiazepines.

Or if I should risk crossing back to all k? Wouldn't look forward to that & these Xanax feel stronger than the K, so not sure how would do it evenly, now?

Will link how/when DR visual distortions started.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=240273.msg3076903#msg3076903

I think it makes sense to go back to Clonazepam since your troubles started then and its longer acting, this would also take away the issues of trying to taper from two benzo's. 

If you decide you don't want to go back to all Clonazepam then I'd start tapering the Xanax first so you can have the coverage of the Clonazepam in your system. 

Thanks Pamster,

You make Very good points.

I'm answering for others to chime in, too. Brainstorm, if you will. Cause I'm clueless.

Feel I'm walking a tightrope, in this state, as don't want to make a wrong move. Like switching things around etc. but of course want the best course of action for best possible outcome & functionability during taper. I wish my kpins were easy to cut or split, but they are really crumbly & if I can break one in a halfway decent half with fingers I'm lucky. They crumble in pill cutter.

I think I do feel that(other than what's going on with the DR visual distortions), I tolerate the Xanax better. I think it is less sedating & depressing for me & is more effective for anxiety & at least getting me to sleep-not sure if the kpin is what keeps me asleep.

My point about my klonopin pills was, I'm not sure, as its been awhile, but I think these .25Xanax are equivalent in strength & or effectiveness to .5mg of these Kpins or somewhere in between. Given that, If I were to cross back, I'm not sure what I'd do? Replace the .25X with .25K? Or replace the .25X with .5K? Then I'd be on more meds...but I guess, I'd take klonopin less frequently, so I don't know how I'd do that?

And would it be replace one x with one K, then hold fi or a certain amount of time, then replace another? Then again & again?

It seems like it could cause me more trouble & may not fix my DR visual distortions or may, which would be great. It seems an overwhelming task to me & I could either stabilize or destabilize & possibly become more sedated & depressed.

If they're equal & I crossed to equal amounts, that much more appealing. I just don't know.

Then there's the idea of possibly moving a tiny amount of klonopin to daytime, a bit at a time, in case I'm in interdose withdrawl from it & keeping most of it at bed. Not sure about taking x & k both during the day, though nor if that would stabilize me? But is a scenario if staying on Xanax & trying to evenly spread out kpins long half life.

Then if I keep all as is, what are the possible ways I would start to cut the Xanax?

I'm trying to get .25mg pills since I'm not scale sauvy & strting to feel sedated as I wean caffeine & someone else said they could quarter these Xanax to make their cuts. .0625 at a time.

If I'm tapering off one benzo at a time, do I take the percentage or amount cut off of Xanax, separately from clonazepam? Ie 5% or .0625mg off Xanax every 3 weeks...& or 5-10% off of clonazepam every 2-3 weeks by feel? But only one at a time?

Thx SC

The ashton manual says that klonopin is well known for causing DR & DP, but it seems to describe DP more. Does this mean that tapering klonopin or being on it makes it one of the more likely benzos to cause dp dr?

If it's tapering. Then it could make sense to try & cross back & or move some to daytime if it could get rid of DR visual distortions. .?thoughts?

From ashton manual

Depersonalisation, derealisation. Feelings of depersonalisation and of unreality are associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal, although they also occur in anxiety states. They occur most often during over-rapid withdrawal from potent benzodiazepines and are, anecdotally, particularly marked on withdrawal from clonazepam (Klonopin). In these states, the person seems detached from his body and seems almost to be observing it from the outside. Similar experiences are described in near-death states when the individual feels that he is hovering above his body, detached from the events occurring below. They are also described by people involved in extreme emergencies and in individuals subjected to torture. They are clearly not specific to benzodiazepines.

Such experiences probably represent a normal defensive reaction evolved as a protection against intolerable suffering. They may involve a primitive brain mechanism similar to the "freezing" of some animals when presented with an inescapable danger. Like other benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, these feelings resolve in time and should not be interpreted as abnormal or crazy.

If I'm tapering off one benzo at a time, do I take the percentage or amount cut off of Xanax, separately from clonazepam? Ie 5% or .0625mg off Xanax every 3 weeks...& or 5-10% off of clonazepam every 2-3 weeks by feel? But only one at a time?

Interesting question Scardie, I would think you would reduce your total dose because while they're different benzo's, they're still benzo's. 

So  I was actually on both K and xanax also.  My xanax was take as needed, but I took about .5-1.5mg a day.  Because it was as needed for me, I just stopped it all at once, and waited a few months and then started tapering K. I actually didn't feel very bad either, and I already know you are quite sensitive Scaredie,  so I am not recommending that for you.  I would cut one first and then the other, if I were you.  It can get so messy to try and do both at once.

Which one to cut first?  That is a good question.  The K is long acting, but honestly, which one is working better for you?  It might be easier to cut the K, since it is just the nightly dose.  After taking K for years and years, I was given the xanax to counter all my tolerance withdrawal symptoms, though I didn't know that was what I was feeling. And it worked quite well for a few years, so depending on which one you have been on less time, that drug might be working better for you?  I am just guessing though.  Also,  no matter which one you go off first, it won't feel good.

So  I was actually on both K and xanax also.  My xanax was take as needed, but I took about .5-1.5mg a day.  Because it was as needed for me, I just stopped it all at once, and waited a few months and then started tapering K. I actually didn't feel very bad either, and I already know you are quite sensitive Scaredie,  so I am not recommending that for you.  I would cut one first and then the other, if I were you.  It can get so messy to try and do both at once.

Which one to cut first?  That is a good question.  The K is long acting, but honestly, which one is working better for you?  It might be easier to cut the K, since it is just the nightly dose.  After taking K for years and years, I was given the xanax to counter all my tolerance withdrawal symptoms, though I didn't know that was what I was feeling. And it worked quite well for a few years, so depending on which one you have been on less time, that drug might be working better for you?  I am just guessing though.  Also,  no matter which one you go off first, it won't feel good.

Much thanks green cup.

So you had no withdrawl from cold turkey all of your Xanax?

Were you taking both x & k during both day & night?

I've been on k consistently the longest,-10years,  but off & on X a few times too.

I switched out half my k for equal amount half X this past dec. because I felt so tolerant to K & wanted a better quality of life.

I do think the X works better, but since I'm not taking k during the day, I'm not sure of its effects anymore.

I'm also having DR & visual distortions that started sometime after that switch.

I didn't know it was from benzos. So I guess with those sxs I'm already in withdrawl?

Here's link about my current predictament if you or anyone cares to read.

Thx SC

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=240273.msg3076903#msg3076903

Hello!

I've the same problem but with Klonopin and Valium.

I couldn't taper my Klonopin after my accidental CT and reinstatement of 1,75 mg K (the original amount was 1 mg), so I've crossed over 0,25 Klonopin to 5 mg Valium. It was a bit better and I started to decrease, but I don't know how to continue. I couldn't stabilize and struggle for more then a year. I want to stop and stabiilize and want to be on one benzo.

What I've experienced: I have to deal with the two benzos seperataly. I've tapered the Klonopin with 5% and haven't count the Valium.

I also need some help now. I want to switch, but I don't know for which one. Valium is too sedated and I also have depression, but one year ago I couldn't stabilize on Klonopin, but I used Klonopin for 14 years without problem and may be it's better for me, if I do a long hold. I'can't continue it like this. I have to be funkcional for my children.

Hello!

I've the same problem but with Klonopin and Valium.

I couldn't taper my Klonopin after my accidental CT and reinstatement of 1,75 mg K (the original amount was 1 mg), so I've crossed over 0,25 Klonopin to 5 mg Valium. It was a bit better and I started to decrease, but I don't know how to continue. I couldn't stabilize and struggle for more then a year. I want to stop and stabiilize and want to be on one benzo.

What I've experienced: I have to deal with the two benzos seperataly. I've tapered the Klonopin with 5% and haven't count the Valium.

I also need some help now. I want to switch, but I don't know for which one. Valium is too sedated and I also have depression, but one year ago I couldn't stabilize on Klonopin, but I used Klonopin for 14 years without problem and may be it's better for me, if I do a long hold. I'can't continue it like this. I have to be funkcional for my children.

Sorry to hear you are struggling too.

Are you saying that you are also having Derealization with visual distortions?

I wish I could be of help, but I'm clueless.

Thank you for sharing how you've cut the k pin. Helpful.

Perhaps you should make a post about each of your questions in withdrawl support under either general or different taper sections. I think there's a cross to valium group/section too.

You could also try joining the long hold support group & posting your questions there.

You can just copy's& paste what you wrote to me & make a new title.

Best wishes

SC