temazepam taper

[Mi...]

I am using now 4,5 mg of temazepam and I have been tapering  benzos for few years.

I have a history of akathisia. I was prescribed benzos when I was suffering from akathisia (Valium on top of temazepam - had been using temazepam few months before it). Before it i had complicated psych med  history but managed to stop the other meds. My complicated med history involved antidepressant withdrawal after long term use,was also taken off benzos too fast two times, and also put on more drugs (polypharmacy) when I already suffered withdrawal from the previous meds. My CNS has been really sensitive after all of those and I have been experiencing physical symptoms constantly after those for years.

I was prescribed valium to treat akathisia but I didnt feel really well using it. It helped a bit with akathisia though back then (few years ago). When akathisia started to get a bit easier, I got off valium and then started to taper temazepam. For a long time (years) my akathisia was a lot of better in the middle of the taper but sometimes the symptoms got a bit worse during waves. I also have experienced a lot of other symptoms during my taper

But then the akathisia started again get worse few months ago when  I am in the end of my withdrawal and I have felt it almost all the time after it. I also tried a couple of supplements back then that could also been one trigger but have decided to not try any more new supplements in the end of the taper. I used to tolerate them better in the middle of the taper.

Akathisia is not severe but restlessness is a lot of worse than it used to be and it makes me feel really anxious. It feels difficult to be still and enjoy things when feeling terror that akathisia causes.  Some symptoms have got a lot of better such as cognitive issues and insomnia I experienced for years during benzos.

I have been quite scared of akathisia flare up so I have just hold and hold my dose for many months but unfortunately holding does not seem to help like it used to help in the end of my taper. I am taking my temazepam dose once a day before bed and it is possible it causes also interdose wd symptoms and side effects.

My questions are what would be the wisest thing to do? To continue tapering or to continue holding after holding for months? I dont know how I deal with akathisia if it gets worse. What would be adviced to do - to taper when having akathisia or not?

Can there be any issues if I hold my dose for really long time - like tolerance or something.

• 1 month later...
I am sorry to be so late in seeing your post too. Yes I still need help. Situation has been quite similar for many months. Have been holding dose.

I am sorry to be so late in seeing your post too. Yes I still need help. Situation has been quite similar for many months. Have been holding dose.

When I have felt the worst I have even thought about updosing but have negative experiences from kindling and cognitive issues from bigger doses it doesnt feel like a good idea. I also once tried to take bigger dose and it felt almost like paradoxical causing restlessness instead of calming me down.

I've read many members say they experienced almost a paradoxical reaction when they're up-dosed so you're not alone.  We have a long hold group you might want to ask about holding for long periods of time since I don't have experience with it, here is the link. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=153201.0

Does the fear of akathisia bring on akathisia, I'm wondering if there are tools you can use to help calm you.  Stress is the number one contributor to increased symptoms, have you noticed a correlation between the two?