Lorazepam to Diazepam Help with faster Taper

[Wo...]

Hi all. So I've printed off the Ashton manual taper for 3mg lorazepam taper as I currently use 1mg lorazepam 3 x per day. I've started introducing the diazepam in the eve. My concern is that the schedule is v long and I was only only lorazepam for 6 weeks. Any ideas of a safe and quicker schedule... I don't want to rush it but then don't want to be tapering 4 times longer than I was on it if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any advice xx

Hi Working,

You're right, we don't wish to see you taper longer than you were on the drug so you're right to want to speed it up a bit.  These taper schedules are good guidelines but each taper must be geared towards the individual needs.  There are lifestyle, health and work commitments which must be factored in so it will be up to you and your body's reaction to the cross and the taper which need to be taken into consideration. 

You can cross over as fast or as slow as you like by paying attention to the cues your body is giving you.  I know I'm not providing the concrete answers you're hoping for but you're going to become very good at gauging your reactions to the reductions.

You might want to pop into the  Valium Support Group thread, these folks will be able to let you know what to expect in the way of side effects when crossing over to the Valium such as depression and fatigue.  It's just a thread so no need to start a new topic, just jump in with your questions and keep asking them here as well.

Pamster

Hi WorkingdortheFuture :hug:

I've started introducing the diazepam in the eve. My concern is that the schedule is v long and I was only only lorazepam for 6 weeks.

You are so short time on Lorazepam to be needing a long taper, let alone a crossover to Diazepam. Many buddies have actually found that Diazepam is another beast not easier to taper than the one it replaces. I can understand, especially when we are introducing in our body a new benzo we don't know how the body will react to.

The dependency differs from individuals but the idea is that benzo use must be limited to 2-3 weeks max. In your case of 6 weeks use I'm for a faster taper. The recommendations for a regular taper pace been to reduce between 5-10% every 10-14 days, I would try in your case to reduce 20% every 7-10 days and slow down if symptoms. If things are as expected then you will take the last dose in 5-6 weeks time. I here  generated a tentative planning based on your current daily dose of 3 mg and on an unknown tablet size (Ex: 1mg). If you want to do it by yourself then go here.

GRPHWld.png

gfkrGl8.png

qq2MVrA.png

For the time being, although you have taken the first dose of Valium in your shoes I would stop the crossover to Diazepam.

Wish you all the best.

:smitten:

Pamster, I was on it a short time as well, but my body didn’t appreciate the big cuts of the faster schedule. I slowed down, but I want to be off so badly. 3 weeks daily use of 1-1.5mg...now one month into my taper...still have .53 to go. Any thoughts for me?

Pamster, I was on it a short time as well, but my body didn’t appreciate the big cuts of the faster schedule. I slowed down, but I want to be off so badly. 3 weeks daily use of 1-1.5mg...now one month into my taper...still have .53 to go. Any thoughts for me?

Hi beauty,

I understand you don't want a long taper but you've already tried the CT route and your body doesn't appreciate the big cuts so it seems to me your path is clear, a slow taper to remain functional.  I know it doesn't make sense for it to be this way but some are more sensitive and normal rules don't seem to apply.  No two individuals alike as no two tapers so the best thing to do is to listen to your body's cues.

I know you want off the drug but that is just the first step in your recovery, your brain still has healing to do once the drug is totally removed, there is no way to rush this process, I'm sorry.