Scared to taper

[fr...]

Hi all,

I've been on Ativan for about 3 years now and currently take 1.5mg daily (.75mg morning and .75mg afternoon). I don't have panic attacks like I used to, but I now seem to be dependent on this drug to the point that if I don't take it on time every single day I can't function.

I've tried to taper very slowly, but really feel like I need some professional assistance here. I was out of work and on food stamps recent because I would run low on Ativan sometimes and couldn't do my job properly (which lead me to lose my HEALTH INSURANCE  :(. Can someone make any recommendations for a good psychiatrist in the Los Angeles area that can monitor my taper schedule? Again, I don't have a lot of funds to work with and have been turned away many places because they want $500 to start or have 6 months wait time for an appointment. I need a psychiatrist that understands the situation I'm in here.

PLEASE - I'm worried I will run out of Ativan before I get a doctor to help me and will lose my (new) job again.

I'm VERY hopeful I can beat this, but I don't think I can do it alone. I used to think so, but I'm ready to admit that I can't - and coming to terms with that was a very big step and important milestone for me - so at least I have that going for me!  :thumbsup:

I'm grateful to have found this wonderful forum - bless you all for helping people!

You will probably. Find better and more informed advice on this forum than any psychiatrist (IMO) my psychiatrist has no idea about tapering and led me into too fast drop in the beginning. If you haven’t already - look at the Ashton method for tapering. You could also do a direct taper, but I think Ativan has a shorter half life. What I have done is add a tiny amount of Valium so I don’t have interdose withdrawals and things have been pretty  smooth since doing that. The basic rule is 10% every 1-2 weeks, but everyone is different and you can adjust according to how you feel.