40 (m) About to begin My Taper

[so...]

Hello-

I was doctor prescribed clonazepam in 2011 at 31 years old. I take .5mg 3X a day. I have always done so. I was never told about the harm it could cause, only years later had a few doctors told me to get off of them. Anyways, 9 years went by VERY quickly and here I am, having tip of the tongue issues and memory issues that have just gotten bad in the past few years. I have been on these for 9 years and so i am going to self-taper. I have told my current doctor and he is fine with me taking off one quarter of a tablet every morning until I even out. Then doing the same for my lunch tablet. Then the same for my evening tablet. Once that is complete, I will take off half a pill in the morning, then after evening out, lunch tablet will be cut in half, then dinner tablet. And I guess that's how I will try it. Once, of if, I get into too bad withdrawals, I am hoping this community will ease me into some comfort where there probably won't be.  but after reading and watching SO many online testimonials and youtube vids, I am prepared to seek other "alternatives" if I experience such psychological pain and suffering.  Either that, or stay on the ******* things the rest of my life.

Anyways, thanks for reading and hopefully I can get through this!

For the sake of our membership, all references to self-harm and/or harming others have been removed from this thread.

Please click on this link if you are thinking about suicide, self-harm, or harming others: Self-Harm/Ideation (Revised)

edit: disallowed content removed

Hi solarcross :hug: and Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are very pleased you joined our community. You have made a great decision to taper off these drugs, i am glad your doctor is supportive.  You will get through this, we can help you with support, encouragement and taper/withdrawal information.  Benzos need to be tapered slowly! In general it’s advised to cut your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

Check out the Ashton Manual, It’s great for understanding the effect benzodiazepines have on our body.  It also provides tapering and withdrawal information.  You will find some valuable support and info on the forum.  Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

You might wish to post to the this support group:

Klonopin Klub 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hello solarcross,

Welcome to the forum from me as well. Not everyone will have a difficult time withdrawing from benzos.  As Magrita stated, the best plan to minimize withdrawal symptoms is to taper slowly.

The plan you have in mind is too fast, in my opinion.  In fact, this is exactly what I did because I didn't have the good information available here on the forum.  Additionally, clonazepam is a very strong benzos so it is likely you will feel cuts this large.

It's best to follow a percentage based reduction. It's not that difficult to do and many members use a jewelers scale so the dosage is more accurate.

Benzo withdrawal is not a race, slow and steady is the way to go. If you do feel withdrawal symptoms, know that they are temporary and will ease up with time.  You can get through this with a sensible taper plan. There are lots of kind folks willing to help here on the forum.  You'll get a lot of support through the process.

pianogirl  :)

I kept a standard cut of 5% per month and since I was on such a large dose, it took me more than five years. But I was highly functional throughout so I barely noticed when I dropped. And so far I’m doing well post taper. The team is right: slow and steady wins the race. If I can do it than anybody can. Trust me. Those who taper too fast are bound to regret it in most cases. Good luck 🍀.