New to BB and wanted to say hi

[Mt...]

Hello BB members!  First of all I want to thank the people who started this forum as I can see it has huge benefits on many fronts including tapering advise and emotional support.  I am a 52 year old male who is new to the group and wanted to say hi and jump into the fray! I have spent some considerable time reading past posts which have answered many of my questions.

My situation is similar to many of yours and needed something to help me get through an extremely tough time in life and was given up to 1mg of Klonopin per day to help get my life put back together.  I walked into the Klonopin usage with eyes wide open after having seen the devastating effects it had on a dear loved one, however, at the time felt it was the only thing that would allow me to sleep and keep the demons at bay. I also thought I could wean off quickly and get back on my feet without it...Wrong!!  Fast forward 1.5 years and after many failed attempts of tapering, this forum has answered many of my questions as to what I was doing wrong (Thanks Builder!).

Bottom line is that I drastically underestimated the power of these drugs and past tapers were to fast per my body chemistry which flipped me upside down every time. My current plan is to stay on the Klonopin rather than try a cross over to Valium and continue to use the liquid titration method with vodka as a solvent.  As of next week I will be at .5mg of the k split into 3 doses daily and am reducing by no more than 3% per week.  I have ups and downs at this rate but seem to be coping with the symptoms compared to past attempts.

Still figuring out the forum and was wondering if there are smaller support groups out there that are formed with people going through the same type of taper at the same amount of Klonopin?

Thanks and hope your all having the best day possible...We will fight this battle and win!!!

Yes, we do intend to win, Mtwhitney. 

Welcome. 

I don't have experience with Klonopin, my problem has been with Valium. 

On the face of it your taper plan looks good.  As you begin to post you will find people that are on similar doses to yourself, and greater experience with Klonopin.  You will be able to connect this way.  Maybe there is a dedicated k group, probably is, but I don't know. 

I think all of us underestimated the power of these drugs MtWhitney.  And as you have probably experienced, doctors do too.  From what I can figure, the entire planet is in denial. 

I wish you the very best.

Dee

Welcome! If you go back to the HOME page and click on ‘Support Groups’  you will find many small support groups that may be of help to you.

The “ Kolonopin Club” sounds like a good start to me!

Hello and welcome MW!

Here’s a link to the first post in the support group J123 referenced:

The Klonopin Klub#2

To view more recent posts, click the last number in the “Pages” navigation tool located in the upper left corner of the page.

Please don’t be off-put by the “cute/clever” group name like I was! I’ve now learned that (1) participants in this group regard tapering from Klonopin/clonazepam as a serious matter and (2) this is not a “Klub” (there are no requirements for membership/participation - all Buddies are welcome).

Hi Mtwhitney,

I don't post much, but I'm in the middle of a klonopin taper.  You can check out my signature to see where I'm at. I'm currently working on a microtaper and hoping that makes my symptoms a little easier. I'm open to trying liquid titration, but I have the scale...so I've been dry cutting my .05mg pill.  I go to work everyday and care for my family.  I feel like my symptoms peek at night, so that's when I take my full dose. Sometimes I add a benadryl or two, if I didn't get a good night's sleep the night before.  I can't wait to be done with this taper, but from everything I've read it seems slow and steady works for most people.  Wishing you the best!

Shell

Hello to you! I am also planning a Klonopin taper. Currently crossing over from 3mgs Ativan to the K. Not sure what dose of K I will be stable enough to start tapering from though. This is my second time withdrawing from K. I also went into it eyes wide open but, like you, felt there was no alternative to get me through my difficult time (severe post partum anxiety). The good thing is I know IT CAN BE DONE. And you are absolutely right, slow and steady wins the benzo race. Last time I used a mortar and pestle and gram scale to taper and plan to do the same. It took me just under 8 months to taper from 2mgs. You can still find my success story if you do a search. I plan to be writing another one when I reach the finish line. Good luck to you. I have found this board to be informative and helpful. Focus on the positive, read the success stories, and take it a day at a time. You'll get there. I would cut out the alcohol if you can though. That will mess with your GABA receptors in a similar way.

Thanks all for the replies all...it’s great to connect with people who understand the struggle.  I’ll check out the clubs mentioned above and go from there. And fully agree on little to no alcohol consumption. I only use 1ml of alcohol to dissolve my .5 mg pill and then mix with the water to titrate down approx 2.5% per week. I dose every 8 hours so at approx .33ml of alcohol per dose it’s virtually non existent to the brain.

Again thanks for your responses and advise.

MW