Insomnia Success Stories

[ho...]

Looking for those of you who have gotten your sleep back to post your testimony here.  What helped?  What didn't?  How long did it take?  Not asking for a novel, just some inspiration to help get through this.  I'm 5 months out and I am sleeping one night (a little) and then not the next.  I know that once my sleep returns, I will truly heal.  Thank you!

I am almost 10 months out and my sleep is all over the place. I sleep one night about 5 hours and maybe the next about 3. Sometimes I’ve slept up to 9 and I know that sounds wonderful but it still doesn’t feel like sleep at all. My brain just feels numb. My whole sleeping mechanism is destroyed... I hate even living like this but I’m trying to make it through. Usually I will lay 10 hours and sleep somewhere right in the middle.

I know you are looking for success stories but here is what I have from my experience.

I was on Klonopin for a dozen years.

I did a slow taper.

I finished the taper 7 months ago.

During these past 7 months, I have had some really good windows - nights were I can sleep and wake up refreshed and have a wonderful day.

I have also had waves. 

In all cases my sleep is still broken.  I get up 4 or 5 times a night.  But during the windows, I fall right back to sleep and by staying in bed 9 or 10 hours, I get good rest and feel good.  During the waves, I still only get up about 4 or 5 times a night, but I don't fall right back to sleep and i feel that the sleep I do get isn't effective.

So it is a mix of windows and waves but I hope in time I get more windows than waves and one day, the waves disappear.

Insomnia was why I went on Benzos to begin with, so for me it was a pre-existing condition. I guess my success story is that my insomnia is less bad now then at any other time when I was actually on the benzos (except for those first couple of months before tolerance kicked in).

I get around 5-6 hours of sleep per night completely drug and supplement free. It's far from perfect and I wish I could get more sleep, but I just look back at where I was at my worst, which was around 4 to 4.5 hours per night despite taking 1MG of Ativan and 12.5MG of Ambien every night. I remember how angry and frustrated I was that despite that combination of drugs, I STILL couldn't get the sleep I needed. Well, that really forced me to look at natural ways to calm myself down and get sleep. It's been a bit of a long and rough ride, but I took my last crumb of Ativan last October and after a bumpy first month or so after the jump, I've been pretty solid since then.

The key for me was deploying cognitive behavioral techniques and sticking to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lilac:

What kind of cognitive behavioral techniques do you practice. Do you go to a therapy? Do you mind sharing. It would be great if you did.

THank you

I am sleeping better.

I am trying Seriphos to try to address insomnia caused by cortisol levels being generated by my adrenal gland at night. 

Here is the difference.

Before Seriphos, I would wake up every 2 hours and often it was hard to fall back to sleep. Also, even when I "thought I was asleep", the sleep didn't seem refreshing to me.

On Seriphos these last 7+ nights, I fall asleep fast, I might wake up in 2 or 3 hours BUT I ROLL OVER AND FALL BACK TO SLEEP.  THIS IS NEW FOR ME.  I then sleep more.  I feel more rested.

NOTE - YOU MUST BE SURE TO GET THE  ORIGINAL FORMULA OF SERIPHOS.  Apparently, they tried changing the formula a few years ago and it was terrible for the customers so they went back to the original formula (the bottle has a red triangle to indicate original formula).

Here is exactly what I do:

5pm, I take 1 Seriphos capsule.

9pm, I take 50 mg L'Theanine

Bed (9:30pm) I take Zinc Picoliante (8mg) and Vitamin B Complex and some magnesium.

I can sleep pretty well.  If I have troubles in the middle of the night, I might take one more dose of L'Theanine and Zinc Picoliante (8mg) and Vitamin B Complex and some magnesium.

I hope this keeps working.

Hi Bob,

Seriphos you say. Interesting comb of supplements you take. I'm tapering off of Kolnopin 1mg. Down to zero in a week. I've had sleep trouble for about the last 14 months only 2-4 hrs sleep at the most and many nights zero. Thinking about trying that and L'Theanine tonight. I use to insomnia now. Once went 13 days with zero sleep. Went to psyche unit for only sleep deprivation after up that long. They didn't help any as the had a benzo free medication policy including z-drugs at the hospital. They kept me up for another 5 days til I collapse from total physical exhaustion. Worst place ever. As they wouldn't let patients sleep from 8am-9PM. Was ambulanced out to local hospital and was put into a medically induced sedation for 3 days with a feed tube to my stomach to feed me while I was under. Since than I know what the human body can and the extremes someone can go through. Today as I read posts 3-4 nights of no sleep is nothing. Most people would freak after 3. But anyway I'll try that 2 supplement combo tonight Bob! You have a good one.

Hi Bob,

Seriphos you say. Interesting comb of supplements you take. I'm tapering off of Kolnopin 1mg. Down to zero in a week. I've had sleep trouble for about the last 14 months only 2-4 hrs sleep at the most and many nights zero. Thinking about trying that and L'Theanine tonight. I use to insomnia now. Once went 13 days with zero sleep. Went to psyche unit for only sleep deprivation after up that long. They didn't help any as the had a benzo free medication policy including z-drugs at the hospital. They kept me up for another 5 days til I collapse from total physical exhaustion. Worst place ever. As they wouldn't let patients sleep from 8am-9PM. Was ambulanced out to local hospital and was put into a medically induced sedation for 3 days with a feed tube to my stomach to feed me while I was under. Since than I know what the human body can and the extremes someone can go through. Today as I read posts 3-4 nights of no sleep is nothing. Most people would freak after 3. But anyway I'll try that 2 supplement combo tonight Bob! You have a good one.

I have a concern for you.

You tapered so fast, you basically did a cold turkey.

I didn't start taking Seriphos to help me sleep until after a 1 year taper followed by 7 months totally off benzos. 

I worry you have a bigger amount of withdrawal issues.

You might need to consider going back on the benzo until you feel better and then do a 1 year slow taper to get off the benzo.

Best of luck to you.

Bob

Hi Bob:

Where do you get 50mg L-THeanine? I thought they would only come in 100mg to 200mg. My holistic psych told that L-Theanine is better at 200mg to have an effect on Anxiety. As long as you feel some relief, everyone is different.

Hi Bob:

Where do you get 50mg L-THeanine? I thought they would only come in 100mg to 200mg. My holistic psych told that L-Theanine is better at 200mg to have an effect on Anxiety. As long as you feel some relief, everyone is different.

She’s probably right. I take the 100 mg capsule and pull it apart and sprinkle half on my tongue and then put it back together. Sometimes I only take a third of it.  I wonder how much is in a cup of decaffeinated black tea? I might try to Google that sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

I am at 13 months off.

My sleep has been improving steadily over time.

Some nights I will nibble 1/2 of a Unisom sleep tab and 1mg of Melatonin.

More nights than not I try to lay down without taking anything.

For me, a comfortable pillow and blanket are key; as is some "white noise" (I listen to the sound of a fan on YouTube).

There is also a meditation by Lauren Ostrowski Fenton called "it's OK" which puts me to sleep within the first five minutes.

I listened to it for months on end when I could NOT sleep and it calmed me tremendously.

Praying is also another huge part of my sleep hygiene.

When I was about 10 months off and could feel myself getting better, I did go out and buy an entirely new blanket.  The old blanket just reminded me too much of the horrible nights I'd spent in my bed tossing and turning.  It was a soft fuzzy brown one which I did love, but I put it in the spare bedroom and bought myself an even fuzzier, softer ivory colored blanket that represented more happiness and joy.  That may sound weird, but it helped me.

During the worst of my sleep/bad mornings I also used a weighted blanket.  I would wake up sometimes sweating because it was so heavy, but it did help calm me.

The sooner you can get accustomed to falling asleep with supplements, the better.

Hugs and peace.

Fakeit

The sooner you can get accustomed to falling asleep with supplements, the better.

Hugs and peace.

Fakeit

Did you mean to say that the sooner you can get accustomed to falling asleep "without" supplements, the better?  I think that is what you meant.

I totally agree.  Every since I jumped, I've taken a few supplements to sleep, but I'm trying to taper off them, particularly the melatonin.  I take .8 mg.  Going to start reducing by .1 mg every week or so.  I also take tart cherry, magnesium and l-theanine.  I was taking Lactium, but I think that was causing me cortisol surges in the morning. 

After I jumped, for the first 2 months, I was getting between 3-7 hours of sleep most every night.  I was also taking more melatonin.  Then the past 3 months it changed to sleep one night and not the next.  Over the past 2 weeks, I've seen a shift where I'll get some sleep for 2 nights and then not the next.  Small improvement.  Still feeling off during the day with generalized anxiety and cog/head issues.

I want to eventually get off everything and be able to fall asleep on my own.  I was always a good sleeper until I had a panic attack in 2017.  I'm praying that my CNS will eventually heal and achieve homeostasis again. 

I see that you are seeing a lot of improvement by exercising.  I need to join a gym and work on exercising more.  I had joined one right after I jumped, but was not able to tolerate the exercise.  I do yoga and walk, but feel as though I'm now ready to do some more cardio and resistance training.

• 4 weeks later...

I am 3 years post jump, and I can say now that my sleep is GREAT! It was a long road to figure out what worked, and really get weaned off all the "aids", but so worth it!

Here is what has worked for me:

A strict sleep schedule--get ready for bed at 9PM, in bed by 9:30, asleep by 10 PM. I wake up naturally but almost always right around 6 AM. (ooops, I need to get going!) If I wake up in the middle of the night, I don't stress, I just read until I am sleepy again.

I don't take any drugs at all, no supplements (not even vitamins), no "tricks", just messes up my body. And believe me, I tried everything!

I kept an in-depth journal for 3 years of everything I took, ate, did, and how it affected my sleep. Found some foods that are a no-go (see below also) such as shrimp and peanuts, rosemary.

Number one thing--I gave up coffee (even decaf!) completely. and only tiny amounts of chocolate. This has really been life-changing for me! The quality of my sleep is SO much better, and it took a while (weeks) before that was obvious. I should write more about this. Insomniacs should not be drinking coffee of any sort!

I also drink very little alcohol, usually only once per week as it definitely makes the quality of my sleep worse.

I know this is strict, but NOTHING is as delicious and precious as a wonderful, restful night of sleep, as you all know by now.

I am almost 10 months out and my sleep is all over the place. I sleep one night about 5 hours and maybe the next about 3. Sometimes I’ve slept up to 9 and I know that sounds wonderful but it still doesn’t feel like sleep at all. My brain just feels numb. My whole sleeping mechanism is destroyed... I hate even living like this but I’m trying to make it through. Usually I will lay 10 hours and sleep somewhere right in the middle.

FYI - My sleep is also like what Stacy described (all over the place). I slept 9 hours last night for example but the 3 nights before that , I only got 3-4 hours and it is usually not good refreshing restorative sleep. I think sleep is critical to healing bc it helps to repair the damage done but the problem is most of us have trouble sleeping. Ugh!

I know you are looking for success stories but here is what I have from my experience.

I did a slow taper.

During these past 7 months, I have had some really good windows - nights were I can sleep and wake up refreshed and have a wonderful day.

I have also had waves. 

In all cases my sleep is still broken.  I get up 4 or 5 times a night.  But during the windows, I fall right back to sleep and by staying in bed 9 or 10 hours, I get good rest and feel good.  During the waves, I still only get up about 4 or 5 times a night, but I don't fall right back to sleep and i feel that the sleep I do get isn't effective.

So it is a mix of windows and waves but I hope in time I get more windows than waves and one day, the waves disappear.

HI Bob--

Are you the neighbor Bob in the youTube benzo videos? I was just curious bc I love those videos.

I did a slow taper.

I have also had waves. 

HI Bob--

Are you the neighbor Bob in the youTube benzo videos? I was just curious bc I love those videos.

Thanks for asking. That is a different Bob. Thank you for sharing him with me-I learned a lot from that video and I think I’m gonna look for some of his other videos. He seems like a really smart guy.

In two weeks I will be 53 months off Valium and Ambien. I used both drugs only as a sleep aid. I am writing this positive success story for those members who had sleep issues prior to using either drug; or any members who are not sleeping due to their taper or c/t.

After I c/t off both drugs (never c/t off either drug) I was very fortunate to have found a knowledgeable PDOC who taught me how to sleep on my own. My PDOC explained to me that sleep is SO powerful that with good sleep hygiene it will be restored in time. Once I c/t off both drugs I NEVER took anything for sleep. Sadly, I see so many members looking for something to help them sleep and IMO this is not prudent. One must learn how to sleep on their own without being dependent upon taking anything. Please believe me when I know how hard this is but please believe me when I tell you this CAN be done and YOU can achieve it.

I recall my PDOC telling be about Belsoma and I told her I didn't want to try it. She agreed that coming off Valium and Ambien and trying Belsoma was a bad recommendation. We both agreed that I had to learn how to sleep on my own. Reflecting back to all of the years that I used Valium as a sleep aid (at 3:00 AM when I couldn't fall back to sleep) or popping an Ambien when I slept out of my house or traveling to Europe was by far the biggest mistake that I ever made. When I was on Valium I always woke up exactly at 3:00 AM and now I know it was my brain waking me up for Valium. It was almost like my brain craved it and 3:00 AM.

I suppose that I experienced some sort of sleep anxiety because I always felt that I could not sleep out of my own environment, my own bed. If I knew that I had a big night planned the next day instead of going to sleep on my own, my brain told me that I needed to pop an Ambien to get a good night sleep. 53 months later I now know that thought was the benzo devil aka a benzo lie.

I am living proof that if you stay off of everything and practice good sleep hygiene sleep will be restored. I currently sleep 10:30 PM-6:45 AM straight through the night and I can sleep out of my bed without any problems. I no longer have the benzo demon thought pop into my head that I need to take something to sleep. 98% of the time I sleep straight through the night (I'm 55 years old) however, if I wake up to go to the bathroom I can always fall back to sleep on my own within a matter of seconds.

I hope those suffering from insomnia or any sort of sleep anxiety read my post. You owe it to your brain and yourself to stay off everything and let your brain learn how to sleep on your own. IMO the worse mistake would be to come off Ambien or any benzo and become dependent upon using something else for sleep.

At almost 53 months off life is great and I am out living my life to the fullest. The hell that I went through is a distant memory and coming off a benzo was by far the hardest thing I ever had to endure. Please keep going because you will make it. Always remember that the brain is a complex organ however, never doubt for one second it doesn't know how to revert back to homeostasis.

Well that is the most hopeful success story I have ever read.

Can you tell us how quickly you started sleeping better or did you need the full 53 months to reach this wonderful state?  Did you have any other symptoms after stopping the drugs?

I never had sleeping problems and was prescribed Xanax for work anxiety (doc's idea).

When I started a rapid taper in Jan. 2018, I immediately began having insomnia. That lasted for four months with maybe four nights of 7 hours sleep but usually two to five hours. It was horrible but not as bad as others here.

When I switched to DLMT I got a couple of days of 7-8 hours sleep the first week. For the last week I've slept full nights. I do get up three or so times during the night to use the bathroom (probably due to now having diabetes), but I fall right back to sleep (which I didn't before).

In addition to DLMT and going slower off Xanax, I'm walking an hour or more per day now and eating mostly WFPB (but do eat small amounts of meat). I eat a Fuji apple (crisp and sweet) near bedtime, and I start out sleeping on the couch but move to my room the first time I wake up. Those last things are random but seem to help for some reason.

It is a real blessing to sleep full nights again.