How the hell does this make any sense?

[jo...]

Okay, the last 2 weeks I've used Xanax about 4 times at dosages ranging from 0.5-1 mg only to help knock me out when I needed it. I would take 1mg, then wait 3 days and take it again at night. I did this only four times!

It's been 10 days since my last dosage and every now and then I experience harrowing anxiety, almost to the point of a full blown panic attack. Is Xanax responsible for this, even though I never used it consistently, took 3-4 days off in between doses, and only took it four times?

Now i have this fear that Xanax somehow permanently altered my brain and i will have anxiety forever. And I have a party in several days an I am terrified to drink.

Hi jonnyg1234 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies,

I am sorry you are dealing with anxiety, it’s a dreadful symptom.  Benzodiazepines are recommended short term  (2 or 3 weeks)  After even short term use a physical dependency can occur.  Thankfully, I don’t think you have taken the drug long enough to develop dependency.  I am sure any effects from the benzodiazepines, will  ease of soon.  Benzo withdrawal symptoms are temporary.

Many of our members deal with GAD and anxiety and found that benzos when used long term can make any existing anxiety worse.  We have a dedicated board dealing with anxiety issues, I'll give you a link to it so you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Here are some links

Anxiety 

The Ashton Manual, there is a wealth of information in this manual about benzodiazepines:

Professor Ashtons Manual  

Post withdrawal recovery support.

To allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you, we ask that you ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita