So Happy to Have Found this Forum

[sc...]

I heard of BenzoBuddies through a YouTube video called The Many Faces of Benzo Withdrawal. 

I am on Klonopin and Ativan.  I have been on them for 3 years now.

Presently I am down to 0.5 mg of Klonopin a day (Rx'd for twice a day) but cannot seem to get any lower.  Yet, the 0.5 mg is not holding me like it used to but I really cannot stand the thought of going back to twice a day when I really want off of it completely.

My Ativan is prescribed 1 mg 3 times a day but this past year I was finally able to get to a point where I only used it if truly needed.  I have multiple sclerosis and mainly use the Ativan if I am having a MRI because I get those 2-3 times a year.  I have a goal to not use it for the next MRI though so I can hopefully say that I am really done with that one.

I will admit one thing though.  Due to the lack of education on the provider's part in terms of withdrawal/tapering...I am too scared to tell my doc I want off.  I am scared they would just stop prescribing it and make me go CT. 

I look forward to being here and thank you!

Hello scout2015 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community, I am sorry you are dealing with multiple sclerosis, must be very difficult for you.  Have you hinted about possible withdrawal to your doctor?  I do understand you are scared s/he might withdraw you too fast.  I took charge of my taper for the same reason.  As well as Klonopin,  you say you were taking Ativan 3 times daily, did you slow taper off the Ativan? 

Reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb, you can go slower, whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.BenzoBuddies Community Forum Homepage

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for the resources. 

It's frustrating because I developed a severe panic disorder out of the blue, literally, and spent 6 weeks with panic attacks every 15-20 minutes.  It was unbelievable.

I went to an ER....they said it's anxiety - take this Ativan.  I kept telling them something wasn't right and it wasn't anxiety.

I went to another ER via ambulance after I went numb from the neck down while driving down the highway.  I showed neurological symptoms on exam.  I laid in that ER all day.  No neurologist came to see me.  No imaging was performed.  After 8 hours my nurse came in and he said, "Oh, I forgot you were here!".  Left and was given, again, Ativan despite my telling them something else is wrong.

Finally my PCP said here, take Klonopin.  It's gentler and will get you through the next few weeks until we get this figured out.

That was 3 years ago.  I am still on Klonopin up to 1 mg a day (depending on the manufacturer, believe it or not, that my pharmacy gets it from).

I still take Ativan too.  Not 3 times a day as prescribed but still a couple times a week.

So how did the other part turn out?

Well, I knew something else was at play.  Last year when I finally did get to a neurologist, I had MRI scans and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis that is very aggressive in my spine and also lesions on my brain. 

The largest old lesion in my brain is in my flight/flight area.  Hmmm....go figure.