Do next reduction of xanax in the morning or at bedtime?

[fr...]

I've been taking xanax for anxiety/insomnia for 14 years (as high as 6mg).  At one point had tapered down to just taking 1/2mg at bed.  Years later went back up for anxiety throughout the day (again as high as 6mg).

I was down to 1 7/8mg (1.875) the past couple of months as 0.5mg morn, 0.25 mg around early afternoon, 0.25 mg around evening, and 0.875mg at bed.  (I had previously been doing it on a scheduled basis between doses, but switched to trying to listen to my body.)

Last week I cut out 1/8mg (0.125) from my bedtime dose.  Fortunately, I've been able to sleep because I take 30mg Buspar now at night which makes me sleepy (good at night, not so good in the morning though when I take another 30mg Buspar).  I also utilize melatonin, which I've used for almost as long as I've been taking xanax.

I am doing a straight taper, not a substitution taper.

I'm curious as to what is generally recommended regarding whether to do reductions with the morning or bedtime doses.

Because I'm currently taking: 0.5, 0.25, 0.25, 0.75,

it seems that my next cut should have me taking EITHER 0.5, 0.25, 0.25, 0.625    OR      0.375, 0.25, 0.25, 0.75

Because of it's short half-life, I don't know if it's best to keep my bedtime dose higher and cut back on my morning dose next.  OR, by the same reasoning of it having such a short half-life, cut back on my bedtime dose so that I still have the same morning dose as before so that I can "get some in my system" first thing in the morning because my body has gone all night without it?

Any advice / experience is appreciated.

Thanks!

I am nearing the end of my taper, and what I did was to cut first my morning, then my next cut was my evening, and so forth. I cut every 2 weeks alternating the cut. Personally, I was having sleep issues before my taper so I haven't seen where the evening cut has been too much of a problem. And now that my taper is drawing down to the last 5 weeks, I can't tell any major issues with either the morning or the evening cut. I still have mild symptoms, if life decides to smack me, but they are bearable for the moment - things like mild anxiety, tenseness and such.

Hope this helps.

I seem to do best keeping my four doses close to equal. I also was at 6 mg a day at one point and am currently at 1.29. Everyone is different and I am a strong believer in listening to your body. If you make a cut and it doesn’t feel right change it. Wishing you continued success in your journey.

I'm actually curious about this too.  I just saw my psych last night (who I love!) And he said I should cut my morning dose next by .0625, then back to my afternoon dose, but leave my bedtime.dlse at .25 the entire time.  Then we'll work on the bedtime dose.  I'm currently at .25 Xanax @ 7 am, .1875 @ 2 pm, and .25 @10 pm.  Feeling shaky and no appetite, slight anxiety (but ANY anxiety upsets me).  He says I am very sensitive.  He did suggest hydroxyzine for insomnia, I've had some sleep issues.  I originally cut (last week) .125 from the afternoon dose, but that proved to be too much to handle after 5 days.  If only I had knkwn the dangers of this horrible drug before I took it.  Does anyone even stabilize between cuts?  He told me to ignore the calendar and just go by how Im.feeling.  He wants me to get to where I don't even think about the meds before I make another cut.

I made my first cut on 1/29 and felt pretty horrible for about 8 days.  At day 10, I finally felt more myself again (stabilized).  Today would have been day 14, and my next cut of .0625 from my morning dose, but I am due to start my monthly cycle this weekend, which raises my anxiety anyway, so I've decided to hold another week.  I like what one poster said..."a snail's pace; but even a snail eventually crosses the finish line."