How long do people generally hold after a Xanax reduction?

[fr...]

When I tapered years ago from 6mg Xanax (total 24 hour dose) down to 1/2mg (for sleep only) many years ago, I cut every 3 weeks.  If I remember correctly, I felt symptoms for 2 weeks and then gave myself 1 week to hold steady after that.  But I'd not like to prolong tapering if possible. 

I've read on this board where some people talk about holding for 10 days after a cut.  But those posts refer to Klonopin, which is longer-acting (from my understanding).  I'd be curious how long people find that they need to hold after a cut for Xanax?  I know it varies from person to person (their body, what's going on in their lives, etc).

I'm curious if I do a cut (no more than 10%) and I feel fine after 2 weeks, is it reasonable to cut again?

Hi Free2,

It sound like you had a good plan when you tapered in the past, so you might want to stick with what you know will work for your  body.  It sounds reasonable and it has worked in the past.

I found when doing cut and hold with Xanax that days 3-5 were rough and then I generally cut about a week after that.  I'm not advocating this method!  Just mentioning it as I tried to go faster than my body could really handle.  Wasn't the best plan, it was far too fast....    My body didn't ever really recover from cuts and I did a very necessary hold for around 3 months until I felt well.

Now I'm doing micro cuts, holding every now and then as sxs dictate.  It's a snails pace, but snails do reach the finish line  :laugh: and my sxs are very manageable. :thumbsup:

SS

I think the thing to do is based on sxs, and realizing that you can't go too slowly but can go too quickly.

I'm curious if I do a cut (no more than 10%) and I feel fine after 2 weeks, is it reasonable to cut again?

Sure...what ever it takes to safely get off the medication  :thumbsup:

I just made my first cut from .75 to .6875; felt pretty crappy for 8 days, started feeling better, but am holding until the 3 week mark.  I dont see the point in jumping again until I'm stable and ready.  Plus, I have a pretty sttessful job with non-stop deadlines, so I need to be on my A game.  The 5 days immediately following my cut were pretty nonproductive, but I made it through every day.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Two weeks ago, I reinstated to 0.5 mg after mistakenly CT'ing (and kindling before that). I thought i was stabilizing, but honestly things seem to be getting worse, not better. More symptoms are manifesting, food sensitivities, tingling in legs/feet, and what sorta feels like nerve pain? Nervous system definitely feels very irritated. I want to start tapering as soon as I can, but at this point I'm just scared! :( How much worse will i get before I stabilize or get better?