Lee Hardy - Deceptive Practices

[Co...]

I regret to announce that Lee Hardy (a self-styled coach/counsellor/therapist) has deceived BenzoBuddies and it members via the use of aliases to promote her dubious services.

Hardy registered an account with BB in April, 2013 under the name of Morechocolate. Morechocolate caused the moderation team numerous problems (you can read her old posts for yourselves).

In February, 2015, I received the following PM (Private Message) from Morechocolate:

Hi Colin,

I wanted to run something by you to see what you think.

I have been on this site for a couple years and it really helped me through my withdrawal process. I know how important support is when going through withdrawal.

I am in the process of starting my own private practice helping people with anxiety, depression and withdrawal. I have 2 degrees, psychology and social work. I am currently developing a website and as soon as it goes live, I will be ready to go.

I would like to know if I could tell people about my services on benzobuddies? I will be offering sessions through Skype for people away from me. I will have a business license and insurance as well. In return, I will add link to benzobuddies within my website. I will refer clients here to get help with tapering and peer support.

How does this sound to you?

Thanks,

Lee

I had not yet responded to the above PM, when, about 24 hours later, a member posted the following (subsequently deleted) post:

If anyone is interested in having a coach help them through the withdrawal process, I have someone that is willing to do Skype for clients.  She is really great and has been through benzo withdrawal and has come out on the other side!!  If you are interested, please pm me for her contact information.

The Team and I put two and two together and determined that Morechocolate was the 'really great coach' recommended in the above post. I exchanged a few PMs with Morechocolate and although she was initially reluctant to accept my instruction that she could not use BenzoBuddies to recruit clients for her (commercial) coaching services, she did eventually indicate that she would accept my decision.

A few months later, in June, 2015 a member reported a PM from Morechocolate for promoting her coaching services - in direct contravention of the forum rules and my explicit instructions. Lee Hardy's Morechocolate account was banned shortly thereafter, along with another account she was operating in tandem (another rule violation, I might add).

Then, in September, 2015, Findingmeagain7 posted the following thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=142238.0

If you read my correspondence with Findingmeagain7 (in the above linked thread), you will note that she supplied me with the details of her "benzo wise therapist" through the PM system. I checked out the therapist: she was in good standing, was registered with a College (governing body in Canada), and listed her license number at her website. So, I reported back to the thread that it "all seemed good to me."

However, it has recently come to my attention that the therapist details supplied to me by Findingmeagain7 via PM are not those of the therapist Findingmeagain7 has been recommending to members in her private messages! Findingmeagain7 has instead supplied the contact details for Lee Hardy. You might already realise where this is going: in reality, Findingmeagain7 is yet another alias operated by Lee Hardy, promoting her own services through deceitful measures, and by appropriating the credentials of another, entirely innocent, accredited therapist. I am absolutely appalled by Lee Hardy's behaviour. Hardy has also been operating a second account at BB, Movingon75. Both accounts, Movingon75 and Findingmeagain7, have now been banned and I have informed the relevant Canadian Colleges of her actions. You will note that Findingmeagain7 and Movingon75 interact with each other in the above linked thread, helping to boost the apparent legitimacy of the other - Hardy taking with Hardy about Hardy! The tactics employed by Lee Hardy are commonly referred to as 'sock puppetry'.

Given the seriousness of what has occurred, I asked the BB Tech to perform a couple of very targeted database queries. The query searched all the PMs from Findingmeagain7 for any instances where she included her contact details. The query then outputted a list of members who have received those details (please note, the query does not return the actual messages - just the names of the members in receipt of Hardy's contact/website details). The two queries returned a list of thirty members! I do not know many of them have actually engaged Hardy's services, but thirty contacts (at the minimum) is a worryingly high figure. I must assume that at least some members responded positively.

Concurrent with this post, I am sending out PMs to the thirty members we understand to be potentially affected. Some of whom we know to be in vulnerable situations. Of course, it is entirely possible that our list is incomplete (the database queries might not have caught everyone). If you know of any members who have received Hardy's contact details through the BB PM system, please alert them to this thread.

I invite all members to help by providing support to those affected, and by posting information (for those who might choose to seek alternative on-the-ground support) of governing bodies who publish lists of accredited therapists and/or provide registration/licensing checks. Given that Hardy offers her services through Skype, her reach has likely been global. So, your local knowledge might be very valuable here.

I would caution anyone from contacting Lee Hardy about this. I have informed the authorities (including the police), and that is where the responsibility to deal with this matter now lies. If you are directly affected by what has occurred, and would like to contact the team about any information you hold (or for any other reason), please start a ticket in the Contact the Team area. Of course, you might seek the opinion of a solicitor/lawyer, but that just might be 'throwing good money after bad'.

In case Lee Hardy attempts to return, I have added a few technical blocks to the dissemination of her contact/website details. However, if you come across any posts or PMs which attempt to promote her services, please report the post/PM. Do not share Lee Hardy's contact details through the PM system or post them to the forum (as this will trigger the blocks/alerts I've put in place).

If you have received any messages from Findingmeagain7 or Movingon75 (or from any other member who has shared Hardy's contact details with you), please do not delete the message. Instead, use the 'report this PM' button at the bottom-right corner. Some members might have shared Hardy's contact details in all innocence. However, there might be other accounts held by Hardy, or just maybe another member knowingly helped Hardy in her deception. We would need to determine if that is the case.

Colin.

And a note to those directly affected by this matter:

If you wish, other BB members and Team will help you locate, legitimate, accredited counsellors, in your locality (or those offering online support if that is what you would prefer). Though, we will only reference lists and checks organised by legitimate governing bodies (not individual coaches/counsellors/therapists).

If you need to vent here, that's OK - some of you may have paid Lee Hardy significant amounts of money, and have been deceived. I would, however, strongly caution you all from contacting Lee Hardy. The better course of action would be to cut her off without word. It is also worth keeping in mind that although this is a members-only area of the forum, what you write here might, ultimately, reach Hardy (she might attempt to return to BB under yet another alias). If you feel especially aggrieved by what has occurred and would like to investigate taking legal action, it might be best to be a little circumspect in your comments here.

You might also consider contacting Lee Hardy's local police. But please bear in mind that there is probably little they can do. On the other hand, it would do no harm for them to be informed of what has occurred to you and any monies you have paid Hardy in case of other problems arising out of this matter. It also might be cathartic.

Please know that although Hardy has behaved deplorably, and is self-evidently ill-suited to be a coach, counsellor or therapist, you are still OK. Try to put out of your mind Lee Hardy's actions. Instead, help each other through this by sharing your thoughts and (where applicable) practical help, by locating accredited, ethical counsellors and therapists.

Another way to think about what has occurred is that for way Lee Hardy to behave this way, she must have serious issues - maybe instead she should be pitied.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [pi...]

• [1w...]

• [fi...]

Colin. Thank you for this info. I had not contacted Lee but she did contact me and not only gave me her info but followed up w me again - I don't really care other than the fact that I told her I was doing coaching with Jennifer Leigh (who I like very much) and she spoke poorly of her!! Such horrible integrity!!

It gave me pause - but I have a mind of my own (at least for the moment!!) and so I ignored and moved on!!

Colin:  I have given this woman several hundred US dollars.  In fact I paid ahead for services and have an appointment with her on Monday.  I have been disillusioned by her Facebook posts.  She has $70 US of mine.  I'm not sure what to do now! :(

1Waye,

I am very sorry to hear that. The best advice I can give you is to chalk this up to experience and think of it as a despicable act by someone with larger issues than you and everyone else at BB. If you decide that you would like some on the ground support from a good, legitimate counsellor/ therapist, let us know and know and we can try to help you find one who is accredited and properly registered (Lee Hardy is not registered with any governing body).

Colin. Thank you for this info. I had not contacted Lee but she did contact me and not only gave me her info but followed up w me again - I don't really care other than the fact that I told her I was doing coaching with Jennifer Leigh (who I like very much) and she spoke poorly of her!! Such horrible integrity!!

It gave me pause - but I have a mind of my own (at least for the moment!!) and so I ignored and moved on!!

I am glad that you have found support through another counsellor. Yes, Hardy has total disregard for standard counselling/coaching practices. It should come as no surprise that she she unregistered with any governing body (she would fail their code of ethics on so many measures).

Ah, Carol jean. Sorry to hear that. Of course, we did not have you on our list. I expected that the list would be incomplete.

I am sorry that you were taken in by her.

If any members receive any messages, from any member, where they attempt to promote services, please use the report function.

I can't imagine that Lee Hardy will do this again at BB, but we should remain on alert for similar actions from others. We do not allow ANYONE to promote their services like this at BB.

Colin:  I have given this woman several hundred US dollars.  In fact I paid ahead for services and have an appointment with her on Monday.  I have been disillusioned by her Facebook posts.  She has $70 US of mine.  I'm not sure what to do now! :(

I see what you mean by her facebook page!

Thanks for the heads up Colin, I also used her services.

You mention that you may be able suggest other therapists that may be able to help, If this is so I would like that information please.

I just contacted her and she is refunding the amount I have not used.  She is doing that and she asked why I'm stopping.  I did not tell her why.  I'm spent already so I don't need more drama.

I'm sorry to see so many members impacted by this.

1waye - I'm happy to know you're being refunded and I'm sorry you had to go through this at all.

2trusting - the team is happy to help you find a legitimate therapist to work with. Please go ahead and start a helpdesk ticket

CarolJean - do you need any support in finding a new therapist? If so, please feel free to start a helpdesk ticket and we'll do our best to help you.

FightForMyLife- I'm glad you went with your gut instinct. No true professional would put down another colleague.

Do you all have lists of therapists in different cities? I'm sticking with my PDoc for now simply bc he will taper me as quickly or slowly as I want to go  - he either feels very guilty and is scared to death - either way - he is letting me guide this and I appreciate that........even "interviewed" the compounding pharmacy

But I would love to find either a "Benzo Wise" therapist or a live support group in my area - I thought about posting a new thread asking if anyone was in my area - but I wasnt sure about the safety of that........

Please let me know if you guys can help or if I should post, etc?? and if so - where??

Thanks for the heads up Colin, I also used her services.

You mention that you may be able suggest other therapists that may be able to help, If this is so I would like that information please.

Hi 2trusting,

Yes, all members and team can help. But to be clear, we can only help you find lists managed by legitimate governing bodies. I believe some provide lists of members, others a way to check for legitimate licenses, or both. We will not provide individual names of counsellors.

Do you all have lists of therapists in different cities? I'm sticking with my PDoc for now simply bc he will taper me as quickly or slowly as I want to go  - he either feels very guilty and is scared to death - either way - he is letting me guide this and I appreciate that........even "interviewed" the compounding pharmacy

But I would love to find either a "Benzo Wise" therapist or a live support group in my area - I thought about posting a new thread asking if anyone was in my area - but I wasnt sure about the safety of that........

Please let me know if you guys can help or if I should post, etc?? and if so - where??

I don't know if any official lists exist for individual cities. And, at present, we have no complied lists at BB. We all can help compile a 'list of lists' operated by governing bodies. Governing bodies are usually organised at the national or state/province level. In any case, it is probably better for members to not indicate their location too specifically.

It is not always that easy to find the online license checks and list operated by governing bodies. This is where the whole community can help.

I have never provided lists of 'approved' counsellors. And given what has happened with Lee hardy, I think we should now disallow members from posting any testimonials for counsellors/coaches/therapists. It is a shame, but I don't know what else we can when a few individuals are so determined to abuse the trust of others.

I also should add, for those 'duped' by Lee Hardy. I was duped too (by accepting the name and details supplied to me by 'Findingmeagain7' as genuine). I hope none of you are beating up yourselves about this. This deception speaks only of Lee Hardy, no one else.

I also wish to add a comment about 'counselling'. It should not matter if the counsellor knows about benzodiazepine dependency/withdrawal or not. Good counselling (at least how it is generally practiced in the UK) will help you organise your own thoughts about what is happening to you, and provide a good sounding board. They are not in the business of providing 'advice'. Just as with other BB members providing support to you, their personal experience is unlikely to mirror yours. A good counsellor will be able to help most people, irrespective of the specific problem. And if they cannot help you, they often know of another counsellor that probably can. Good counsellors behave ethically. They are 'client-centred'. I would not worry that you cannot locate a counsellor who has been through benzodiazepine withdrawal.

I just contacted her and she is refunding the amount I have not used.  She is doing that and she asked why I'm stopping.  I did not tell her why.  I'm spent already so I don't need more drama.

I think it's wise not to tell her why you are stopping sessions, while going through withdrawal the last thing you need is additional stress.  Take good care and we're here for you.

pianogirl  :smitten:

I just want to say thankyou to the whole team at BB for doing everything in their power to keep us all safe. We are all at such a vulnerable time in our life right now and this site is the only place we can just 'be' and share our experience of withdrawal . To think there are people like Lee Hardy out there makes me very aware how important it is to not share too much personal information . I am a trusting person by nature and tend to think everyone else's operates the same , so this is a timely reminder to take a little more care...

The 'team' are awesome , and I would urge anyone who is unsure of anything to run it past one of them . I am lucky  to have the lovely  kiddo1977 to run things past when my brain doesn't think in straight lines !

Genuine thanks to you all

Bozobertie

I just want to say thankyou to the whole team at BB for doing everything in their power to keep us all safe. We are all at such a vulnerable time in our life right now and this site is the only place we can just 'be' and share our experience of withdrawal . To think there are people like Lee Hardy out there makes me very aware how important it is to not share too much personal information . I am a trusting person by nature and tend to think everyone else's operates the same , so this is a timely reminder to take a little more care...

The 'team' are awesome , and I would urge anyone who is unsure of anything to run it past one of them . I am lucky  to have the lovely  kiddo1977 to run things past when my brain doesn't think in straight lines !

Bozobertie

We are very lucky to have Kiddo on the team, she is a great mod and a wonderful person.

Thanks for the kind word!

pianogirl  :smitten:

Bozobertie

Yes indeed - I second this and add my thanks too.  It's unbelievable that there are such people who will prey on others vulnerability.

Thank you Colin and all members of the Team  :smitten:

Unbelievable. I just saw this woman on here not long ago...her name made me crave chocolate!  :tickedoff: (must have been an old post)

I hope your right CeCe!

A big thank you to Colin and the BB Team!!!  :smitten:

findingmeagin7 - right? that's who was messaging me.........

Would you please "report" the PM's you have received from findingmeagain7?

Thank you,

pianogirl

Well, well, well...

Rumbled this lady, via some choice questioning - for all to see - whilst working as an Admin elsewhere on another psychiatric drug withdrawal support group, about five months ago or so.

Quite sad really... they really do think that we're all that stupid.

Well not this one, either  ;)

Well, well, well...

Rumbled this lady, via some choice questioning - for all to see - whilst working as an Admin elsewhere on another psychiatric drug withdrawal support group, about five months ago or so.

Quite sad really... they really do think that we're all that stupid.

Well not this one, either  ;)

Really!  She has made the rounds, hasn't she.  I'm glad you were able to see through the lies and deception. 

Thanks for coming back to offer more support, it's good to see you on the forum again.

pianogirl