Before an attack

[Ju...]

I was just wondering if anyone with "seasoned" panic/ anxiety disorder can tell before hand they are going to get an attack?

I have noticed that before I get an attack my skin feels like total static electricity.  If someone touches me it bothers me. Its not like a zap you get from touching something its more like if you rub a balloon on your head and your hair stands up if that makes sense?

So i felt that yesterday, and low and behold I was in a full fledged worse anxiety attack ever about an hour later.

I have panic disorder year round, managed with medication.  I can always tell when a real panic attack is coming on.  For me, it manifests very quickly.  I feel like my internal body temperature has risen 10 degrees, my heart begins to pound and I feel physically sick. 

I'm sorry you felt your physical triggers yesterday.  I'm guessing a big percentage of us know when we are about to get hit. 

[62...]

Hi Justme9-

I guess I would consider myself one of the "seasoned anxiety/panic attack disordered people". There is a difference in an anxiety attack and a panic attack; there are also different feelings which will be different to the individual experience. From my experiences, anxiety itself it is a feeling of being off, tense, nervous, a bit apprehensive, I notice I am usually thinking about something(a trigger) too much, my stomach may feel nauseated, my throat my feel constricted and it seems hard to swallow...a general feeling of uneasiness. A panic attack is just what it sounds like...total fear, heart pounding out of my chest, feeling like I could lose my mind or have a heart attack or both, unreality, feeling out of body, numbness and tingling sensations in my extremeties, wanting to find a safe place immediately.

I used to have panic attacks daily, sometimes more then once a day...they were horrible. I don't recall the last one I had....have had some pretty intense anxiety attacks but there is a difference. I wont go into the horror stories of my panic attacks as it is not relevant and also, other people can be easily influenced by others experiences and think they will automatically become theirs; we take on others negative experiences.

There are some wonderful tools & coping techniques available to help people like us manage anxiety. I am a researcher by nature and that is what I would suggest to you...research what anxiety is, accept what it is and work on managing it. Here are a couple of links (first one is book recommendations and second one some excellent coping techniques):

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=15570.0    Hope & Help For Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weeks(just wanted to add this one)

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13001.msg180729#msg180729

I also would add to try some progressive relaxation breathing exercises. I use 3 from wholeperson.com. I find them invaluable as one of the main causes for an anxiety attack which can lead to a panic attack is hyperventilating or over breathing(this also brings on tingling and numbness, stomach and throat issues):

Natural Tranquilizer's

Cam Down

Worry Stopper's

I hope some of what I have shared will be of use to you. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post a ? in my blog:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=14749.msg216927#msg216927

Last thing...you aren't alone. So many people have anxiety disorder and for many different reasons, finding out the reason and working out those issues is key....you can manage it w/o meds, with the right tools and please, I cannot emphasize enough to educate yourself about it.

Just Breathe

10 years or more of panic, on medication which hasn't helped much.

I get a feeling like a rush of blood to the head (but sometimes it might be from the head), and I just tend to freeze, while I feel like I've been hit by something and my face starts to quiver/tremble - almost like I'm gonna break down and cry - but I never do.

Its a devastating feeling - the people I'm with at the time must wonder why such a strong reaction to tiny things; I cant explain it.