anxiety overload during tapering!

[ho...]

Hi...

currently just finished first week of taper...had 2 real bad nights, including last night!! with the terrible feeln of shakyness, bug feeln under my skin, chest pain and burning!!! anyone else with these? and if so... how did u get thur it? me.. listening to music on my ipod.. reading.. heat pad, ice.. poppn advil hoping to take away the pain, didnt really help!!    LOOKIN FOR WORDS OF WISDOM ,PLEASE AND THANK YOU! ANXIETY.. coping skills ?? more?

Hi hopeforthebest10,

We have lots of good information on the anxiety part of the forum, just where you posted!  :thumbsup:  We suggest deep breathing, cognitive behavior therapy and relaxation techniques.

As for the rest of your symptoms I found that distraction worked the best for me.  Hard to do I know when all you can think about is the horrible sensations.  Keeping busy helps too, just putting one foot in front of the other and accomplishing little tasks.  Pills don't help, we know that but you did good by trying the heat and the ice. 

I know this stuff hurts, but just keep going because when you're healed you'll feel so much better.  It just takes way too long.  :tickedoff:

[88...]

Hi...

currently just finished first week of taper...had 2 real bad nights, including last night!! with the terrible feeln of shakyness, bug feeln under my skin, chest pain and burning!!! anyone else with these? and if so... how did u get thur it? me.. listening to music on my ipod.. reading.. heat pad, ice.. poppn advil hoping to take away the pain, didnt really help!!    LOOKIN FOR WORDS OF WISDOM ,PLEASE AND THANK YOU! ANXIETY.. coping skills ?? more?

Hi hopeforthebest10-

I know anxiety well....been a "friend" of mine for many years....something I would like to add to Pamster's comments:

1- Acceptance- with anxiety, if you can learn to accept the feelings, ride them out, they will dissipate

2- What I have noticed is that when I fight the anxiety if just fuels its fire...that is where the acceptance comes in

3- Anxiety isn't going to hurt you...may be uncomfortable, but deep belly breath's work...believe me, they do, you just need to practice: here is how I deep belly breathe

laying down, eyes close, quite room, relax mind, through nose- deep breathe in from diagram to a count of six, hold for 2 counts, exhale through mouth to a count of six and repeat until calmed down....this does take some practice and I have found the the progressive relaxation tapes/cd's I have are invaluable to me in this.

You can check out wholeperson.com (Natural Tranquillizer's, Calm Down and Worry Stopper's) those are what I use...IMO, they are excellent. Please let me know if you have any other ?'s about this. This was I how learned diaphragmatic breathing. Last thing to add..you aren't alone...your body is healing...please ask any questions you may have...and Just Breathe ;)

Just Breathe  :smitten:

p.s. also check the Book Recommendation sticky thread..some suggestions there to...knowledge is power, IMO

here is link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=15570.0

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HFTB10,

How are doing with your w/d?

Anxiety and nausea have been my worse w/d problems, although I also have the shaky feeling along with fatigue.

I have gone back and forth in my quest for cures, since w/d creates real problems in dealing with everyday life, and trying to be "normal" around others.  Anxiety may happen for a reason (outside source) or for no particular reason. 

Our brains have become so fragile during this w/d period that most any stimulation is too much stimulation. 

I deliberately watch very boring TV shows to avoid over-stimulation right now, but life events have been over-powering this year for me and

unavoidable for all of us.

Since one form anxiety takes with me is "heart racing/pounding", (and the resulting mind racing), I finally noticed that my beta blocker (for blood pressure) did seem to have a positive effect on that. 

My B/P med is specifically listed to slow down the heart rate, and it reportedly is used by people before an anxiety causing event. 

Originally I was taking it once a day in the morning, but I found out later (on Wikipedia) that it has a short half life, and should be taken at least twice a day.  I started cutting the tablet up, and taking the daily dosage in smaller amounts when I start to feel anxious, especially if it happens close to bedtime.

I went thru a period about a month ago where I had anxiety on and off daily, where it felt like I was getting adrenaline shots every couple of hours, but within a couple of weeks, it moderated, and is currently happening less often at present.

I cannot use quiet diversions to manage anxiety.  I usually need to move around, straighten up the house, repair things, work in the yard, walk the dog, etc, but find things that work for you.  A hot bath helps me in the evening.

I hope your symptoms are more manageable now, but regardless, please know that you are not alone.  I really enjoy coming to this site and seeing the familiar names of the moderators who keep plugging away to help each one of us get better, and to get us thru the really tough days. 

Keep up your faith and hope and strength that you will overcome this.

Your friend,

-WWJD

Oh yes! I often experience chest pain, anxiety, depression, and bugs crawling! Weird stuff Hope but all WD! It is very scary indeed, but we will heal and our lives will be better because of it!  :yippee:

Ive had all of these badly at varying times and I can honestly say that some heat and ice helped at times, panadol helped when it was really bad (pain) but had to be taken 4 hourly and that although I did all the relaxation/breathing etc it made little difference for me but adrenaline issues were my worst sxs.  However, distraction did work as pamster said and I found the busier I got the less I was bothered.  Sometimes Id clear a cupboard while head spinning, feeling floaty etc just to do something - did help.

Other than that know this will improve with time - just focus on getting through day by day and youll make it.  Accepting that this is w/d and there will be some bad days and deciding to jusr ride with it really is half the battle - so keep telling yourself that that is what is happening and that you will get through it like all before you and with time it will improve.

Good luck

Spring

Anxiety too was my best friend - that's why I ended up on benzos.  I too recommend the relaxation techniques as suggested by Just Breathe.  They have to be worked at, don't expect great results in just one session.  If you can, try a relaxation technique several times a day.  It's about re-training the anxious mind and body to be calm.  Takes work but it can be done.  My iPod has become my best friend through this process.

Don't look at the big picture - try and achieve something positive during the day (even cleaning out a cupboard as Spring suggested) and give yourself a big pat on the back.  If you can't quite achieve it, try again tomorrow.  The more positives you can feed into your sub-conscious the more your anxiety will retreat. 

If you can get the anxiety under control, even for a short time, you will notice that some of the other s/x will reduce.  Good luck - you can do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi...

currently just finished first week of taper...had 2 real bad nights, including last night!! with the terrible feeln of shakyness, bug feeln under my skin, chest pain and burning!!! anyone else with these? and if so... how did u get thur it? me.. listening to music on my ipod.. reading.. heat pad, ice.. poppn advil hoping to take away the pain, didnt really help!!    LOOKIN FOR WORDS OF WISDOM ,PLEASE AND THANK YOU! ANXIETY.. coping skills ?? more?

Yoga, Massage Therapy Massage To Me Helps I Am Feeling The Taper As Well