Author Topic: Sexual problems with long term benzodiazepine use  (Read 2911 times)

[Buddie]

Sexual problems with long term benzodiazepine use
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:48:20 pm »
I have noticed when i was switched from lorazepam to diazepam my sex drive became completely non existant and i had difficulty maintaining an erection. I also noticed that when i have an orgasm since being on diazepam the pleasure is greatly diminished, and my genitals kind of feel numb. I took citalopram (SSRI) in 2007, and this also caused sex drive and orgasm problems which definetly persisted for a long time after i stopped the citalopram (post SSRI sexual dysfunction). What i am worried about is how much of my sexual problems are caused by the previous use of citalopram, and how much is caused by the diazepam. It is strange but i felt the lorazepam didn't affect me as much as the diazepam did regarding the sexual problems. I know that diazepam is at least partly responsible as the only time i feel slightly horny is when i am in withdrawal. These sexual problems started when i first took citalopram in 2007, but now i feel diazepam has also caused some sexual side effects. Before taking citalopram or benzos i had a high sex drive and everything worked normally. What i wanted to ask is has anyone else suffered this problem and if they have, did it all go back to normal after coming off benzos? The thought of never being able to enjoy sex again is terrifying as i am only 29, and the sexual problems is the main reason i want to get off benzos. I have had almost no sex drive whatsoever since starting benzos and brief use of citalopram in 2007. The many years of not having a sex drive has caused a lot of depression and problems in my personal life. Sorry if this post is a bit embarassing.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Sexual problems with long term benzodiazepine use
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
Anyone?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:34:48 am »
SSRI's totally destroyed my sex drive and ability. When I came off them this problem went away pretty quick. When I was just on xanax I had a hard time reaching an orgasm. Lol some might not call this a problem ;)  Also think I lost some interest in sex, but that could be partially because of the issue noted above. When I crossed over the valium I still had the issue.  I am finding the lower I get on the valium dosages, the problem is going away.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:40:45 am »
A lot of people have mentioned sexual dysfunction during use or in withdrawal.  I think it's fairly common, in fact I did a search starting with 'sexual' and got dozens of threads from the past.

It's completely legitimate to ask these questions....no need to be embarrassed.   :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:29:53 am »
Just suffice it to say that I am happy that I am not married now.....

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »
I believe that the Xanax I am on is causing the very same problem you are discussing here.I also believe that this medication and ones like it do so many things to our bodies both physically and emotionally and until we come off of them only then will we realize how much they affect us.I think it goes to show that while you are only 29 and I am in my mid fifties we are both experiencing the same issues the common thread would be this medication. I guess we can start putting a list together of things that will improve when we get off of this medication and I'm sure this will be one of them.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:05:10 pm »
I have noticed when i was switched from lorazepam to diazepam my sex drive became completely non existant and i had difficulty maintaining an erection. I also noticed that when i have an orgasm since being on diazepam the pleasure is greatly diminished, and my genitals kind of feel numb. I took citalopram (SSRI) in 2007, and this also caused sex drive and orgasm problems which definetly persisted for a long time after i stopped the citalopram (post SSRI sexual dysfunction). What i am worried about is how much of my sexual problems are caused by the previous use of citalopram, and how much is caused by the diazepam. It is strange but i felt the lorazepam didn't affect me as much as the diazepam did regarding the sexual
problems. I know that diazepam is at least partly responsible as the only time i feel slightly horny is when i am in withdrawal. These sexual problems started when i first took citalopram in 2007, but now i feel diazepam has also caused some sexual side effects. Before taking citalopram or benzos i had a high sex drive and everything worked normally. What i wanted to ask is has anyone else suffered this problem and
if they have, did it all go back to normal after coming off benzos? The thought of
never being able to enjoy sex again is terrifying as i am only 29, and the sexual problems is the main reason i want to get off benzos. I have had almost no sex drive whatsoever since starting benzos and brief use of citalopram in 2007. The many years of not having a sex drive has caused a lot of depression and problems in my personal life. Sorry if this post is a bit embarassing.

Not embarrasing ...quite interesting actually !

I think psych.meds in general can affect every inch of the human body
and brain. They can numb our feelings too.

But once you come off this poison and given enough time for healing....

your system will return to the normal state.

Being a woman might be slightly different but nevertheless,
i just realized that my feelings for love making was shut down for
a number of years.....and now they are back.

What a difference....unbelievable what these drugs can do to us.

Matt Samet went through Hell in order to come off,
four years later he became father ...so don't worry.......
something to look forward to, i guess. :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 02:44:25 pm »
I've not used benzos for long. However I've been using SSRI's for over a decade. And yes- I've been having sexual dysfunction for some time.

But what little I had- drained away once I mixed in my Ativan.  Once a month- maybe.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:07:45 pm »
If you want an insatiable sex drive again it's quite simple.

Zinc supplement. Watermelon, smashed up garlic clove, lots of onions.

Some testosterone boosting exercises ... squats, bench press, upright rows.

Good sleep.

Don't eat fried crap foods.

Mr Happy will be back in no time.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 08:48:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. I never realised just how insidious these drugs were until it was too late. When i was first put on them, they worked really well and i asked my GP if there was any withdrawal from them. He said there was a withdrawal but it wasn't " medically significant". By the time i realised how bad the withdrawal was it was too late and the only way i could get off them was by a time consuming taper. These drugs have robbed so much from me, in so many different ways. I have lost most of my youth, and the sexual problems from the SSRI's and benzos have caused two relationships to come to an end. The biggest surprise has been how clueless the medical establishment seems to be regarding these drugs. A consultant psychiatrist tried to withdraw me from 3.5 mg of lorazepam to nothing in 6 weeks. I refused to do this, and was advised by battle against tranquilizers in the UK that this withdrawal could have potentially caused seizures that might have been life threatening. I complained to the consultant psychiatrist in writing that this was a potentially dangerous way to withdraw benzodiazepines. He put in writing that 6 weeks total withdrawal from benzodiazepines was both common and an acceptable time frame for withdrawing benzodiazepines. And this guy was a consultant psychiatrist!!

[...]; i was just wondering if you meant benzos definitely caused loss of sex drive when you were on them, but then your sex drive came back to normal when you came completely off them? I just wanted to be clear.

[...]; i regularly lift weights and eat well etc, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. These benzos seem to have a powerful affect on brain chemistry.