Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Newbie questions and intro

[Cl...]

Hi, I am new to this forum.  I joined to ask a question about a medication I was on myself but have now been off of for years, cyclobenzaprine, and also because I have family members and friends using klonopin and xanax.  I used xanax only briefly years ago and did not like it.  I was on cyclobenzaprine for years as a muscle relaxant. 

Thanks, Claudia B

Hi there and welcome to BenzoBuddies!

As far as I know the medication you speak of is not a benzodiazepine. We have a few members use it during w/d to deal with the muscle pain associated with  benzo w/d. As far as information for friends and family members taking benzodiazepines,  a great place to start would be to read through The Ashton Manual This is a wonderful resource written by Dr Heather Ashton, who is an expert in the field of Benzo Withdrawal. Here you can learn about all the ins and outs of Benzodiazepine withdrawal. 

Feel free to post on any of our other boards. And for any technical questions you may have concerning how to do something  on the website  please do not hesitate to post a question in our Technical Support section. 

Again, welcome! AlabamaWerle. xo

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  I wondered about the cyclobenzaprine.  Perhaps that is more of an antidepressant.  I am not sure.  I have just finished reading Matt Samet's memoir, Death Grip.  It makes me think of my son who has been off and on numerous meds in recent months, very very ill at times.  I think he is using marijuana now that he is off prescriptions.  Sounds like that is a common way to ease withdrawal symptoms.  I am trying to understand his paranoia, and fear that is out of proportion to the situation.

The majority of people who try to use marijuana in w/d end up having a similar experience, it worsens all of our withdrawal symptoms. Paranoia and fear, aside from being benzo w/d symptoms  are also common side effects to marijuana use so it is like a double whammy. I experienced similar things when trying to use it for w/d. Some people however do fine with it. However , in my opinion, it is just replacing one substance with another and our already compromised  brains just don't deserve that. 

We have a wonderful support thread for family members and friends of people going through benzo w/d. I think the members on there could be of great support to you... just click here and it will take you directly to it.

I know it is hard to see someone going through benzo withdrawal and reading Matt Samet's book can only make you more worried. Matt had/has a very extreme personality. He is the first to admit that he likes to push his life to extremes. And he is also the first to admit that this has gotten him into trouble more times than he can remember. Not everyone who has taken multiple medications or benzos is or will have a similar experience to him. He also experienced a protracted withdrawal, which  happens to only a very small minority of people who discontinue benzodiazepines. Please do not get discouraged by his story or some of the harder w/d  stories on the forum, there are also a lot of great and inspiring stories. You can read about them in the success stories section  Take care and I wish you and your son well... Alabama.xo

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  I wondered about the cyclobenzaprine.  Perhaps that is more of an antidepressant.

Yep. It is very similar to tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline