Going Off Birth Control Pill

[Li...]

Hey all... posted about this in my big long thread in the Taper forum, but the clever Beeper suggested I start a thread in here...

I've been off Ativan for about 3.5 weeks, and generally my withdrawal symptoms are decreasing slowly.  Still there, but noticeably better.

Before all this started I had intended on quitting the birth control pill I'm on (Mononessa).  I've been on it for about a year.  Right now I'm on the last week of pills in my last pack before needing a new script, and figured this might be the opportunity to stop the pill altogether.  So trying to decide whether to do so.

I'd expect to have some side effects from stopping it, of course, but am wondering how or if it could effect my withdrawal?  Will my symptoms get worse, or will they go on longer?  Not sure if anyone has experience with this, but if you have any insight or advice it's appreciated. 

Hi LV,

Yes, going off the hormones may effect your taper. Hormanal fluctuations are a common cause of withdrawal symptom flare-ups for some women. I can't really tell you anything more specific than that. I didn't personally notice this in my own taper, but others may share their experience with you.  :)

Hi Lv,

Hormones make my symptoms act up pretty bad.  I know the last 3-4 days of the month are going to be worse so I kinda plan on it.  >:(

My symptoms get VERY bad during that time of the month. Not trying to scare you, just being honest. But not all are effected like that.

Hmm, thanks all, for replying.

My period will be next week, so I guess it's safe to assume that if my withdrawal symptoms do get worse over the next 10 days or so, that might be some indication of what would happen if I go off the pill.

Of course, too, my withdrawal will hopefully continue to lessen over the next week and a half as well.

If it's tolerable, I may go ahead and jump off.  I always feel so great the last day of my "sugar pill" (period) week, and hate having to start a new pill pack. I figure I might as well get this all over with and hopefully feel much much better by the new year.  ;)

Saw my gyno today, and he supports me getting off the pill, but thinks I should wait just one more month to let the withdrawal shake out.  Probably a good idea.  I was mainly just amazed that he totally accepted that I was in withdrawal!  ;)