Metronidazole and other medication

[do...]

I have been put on Metronidazole due to a very painful tooth that the dentist diagnosed as badly infected. I hate taking antibiotics anyway but am especially warey at the moment as i am just 2 weeks Benzo free. The chemist said it was really strong which worries me but the pain of the tooth worries me more. Physical symptoms have been ok except I am still suffering from profuse sweating which I am seeing the doctor about tomorrow as it is really bugging me as i love walking and i just end up a sweating mess which is no fun. The psychological symptoms are taking longer and at times are really tough. I will try 2 doses of the Metronidazole today with food and see how I feel tomorrow???

Other medications I have been on are various antihistamines, propranol and buccastem. I have pretty much stopped all these now but they have had a much greater effect on me than I thought and I wonder what withdrawel symptoms I am feeling from what drug.

The other medication I very stupidly agreed to go on in Feb this year is Subutex which is Bubrenenophine, a strong painkiller with a very long halflife that has put a big worry on my progress at the moment as I realise I have been put on a stupidly huge dose of 24mg and it seems it will not be easy to come off despite the assurances at the time of the drug agency that it was a 'wonder drug' and only has a partial agonist action so is a ot less addictive than the full agonist opiods like codeine, morphine etc. If anyone has any experience of this or any others any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Hi, doc.  Sorry about the tooth.  :pokey: Dental pain is some of the worst there is IMO.

I don't of anything in particualar to contraindicate Metronidazole after benzo withdrawal.  There can be a lot of minor side effects regardless.  Did your doctor tell you about them?  If not, do an internet search.  I know this is absolutely no help to you but it was funny when I realized where I had heard of Metronidazole before: my dog Jake has been on it several times.  :laugh:

You will need to taper the subutex, of course, and might look for an online support group to help with that.  It is pretty addictive.  One of our members, INB, is trying to get off it's cousin, Suboxone.

Since you mentioned the sweating was bothering you, I thought you would be interested in this:

Possible side effects of Subutex :

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:

Chills; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; flushing; headache; nausea; sleeplessness; stomach pain; sweating; vomiting; weakness.

Thanks beeper. The metronidazole caused a bad reaction last night. After an hour of taking the second dose after food last night I felt an anxiety attack come on and then i felt heightened anxiety and nausa and felt scared and sick for a while until I took Phenergan and Buccastem which relieved this although I took ages to get to sleep and this morning i felt drowsy and hopeless and drifted in and out of sleep all morning. I saw my Gp this morning and he basically said it will take time for me to feel right again. the dentist switched me to Amoxicillin which at least is a known quantity. I know the Subutex is very addictive and I have to figure a route off of it but your right and I shall  try and find support elsewhere for this. I just keep thinking this is never going to be over!! Oh well

Sorry to hear about the bad reaction, doc.  :P At least your doc didn't dismiss you or tell you to "tough it out' but switched you to an antibiotic that had worked well for you in the past.

About this ever ending:  I've pretty much accepted that, unless I become a Buddhist monk and withdraw from daily life, there will always be something to cause the anxiety to flair up and go into panic if I let it.  Now I'm working on not letting it.  You'll get there.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Beeper, I was actually contemplating monastaries before I had this bout of illness and stayed at a couple in thailand but no that lifes not for me. The fact that reality and real feelings are flooding me is a sign that I am getting better!