Struggling really hard since yesterday

[Ka...]

Not sure if it is the anticipation of the family gathering on Christmas eve or just all the bad news that has come up in the last few weeks. I am having a severe money shortage which means less food in the house, so I have nothing I can cook or prepare for the dinner. I am dreading the embarrassment. I might be able to come up with some little something, but I am too stressed to go to the store. I have been crying since yesterday off and on and just keep laying in bed trying to relax. Hardly slept last night. Woke up super anxious after an hour or so, my blood pressure was super high so I had to take a propranolol. Thank goodness for that med!

This is the worst it has been in the last 2 months except I got super stressed right before Thanksgiving. Lots of serious illnesses have come up in my family and it is really upsetting, plus I am just unable to help anyone right now. I can hardly help myself.

I am usually tough and a fighter. I am fighting this feeling but it is not going away. Looks like this holiday is going to be one with a box of kleenex by my side. I don't mean to be whining, just keep looking for answers to this dilemma. No one can see what a mess I am so they expect way more than I can give.  :-[

Anyone have any suggestions?

So sorry for how you are feeling.  :smitten:

If you are having a family Christmas gathering, can you ask each person who is invited, if they can bring a dish (not sure how many people you are having for Christmas)?  Maybe even just be honest and tell them you are having financial difficulties right now.  If they are family, they should be more than willing to help out with the food/meal.

It sounds like you are a real fighter.  You will get through this.

Aw, I'm sorry…the holidays often bring on more stress than joy, especially in withdrawal and recovery.  Last year when I was only about 8 months off I ordered a grocery store pre-made dinner for $59.95.  It was so good and reasonable that I did it again for Thanksgiving this year. 

Or as Disney Girl suggested, (great idea!) ask people to bring a dish.  It will take all the pressure off. 

Next year will be better…  :smitten:

Challis

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I do tend to beat myself up a lot. I am in a predicament now. Actually we are having dinner at my sister's house, she is baking ham and a couple of side dishes. She called me and asked me what I was bringing, I said no idea yet. She sounded fairly put out with me, but she does not have any idea how I am struggling or what this is like. It is almost 8 pm and I cannot get up the gumption to go to the store and even buy a few sweet potatoes to make something with. She also said she would be out shopping all night and would not be around to talk...I guess she feels like I am no help since she is not feeling well either. I know I let everyone down. I even was trying to explain it to my son, how awful this is but he just doesn't understand either, plus he is having serious vision problems and cannot even work. I should not have tried to even talk to him about my issues. All this has me feeling like such an awful and worthless person. I'm almost tempted to do nothing and stay home. I have not felt like wrapping gifts, they are sitting here waiting to be wrapped. The last 24 hours have been rough. If I do nothing and stay home, it will not turn out well for me. Everyone will surely get mad at me, including myself. I already am made at myself! I don't want to even move off this sofa...what is wrong with me???

Anybody got a taser?

can you get to a store and buy a pie? the sara lee ones are supposed to be good.

no one complains w a pie:)

you bought your Grands presents, youre getting there!

Hi Gardenia! Good idea! However if I get up the gumption (working on it) to go to the store, that will get me started. Sweet potato dishes are fairly easy. I do like to cook and am proud of a nice dish when it happens. Everyone would like a pie I guess, although the sweet potatoes would be cheaper. I only have a few bucks literally to do this with. I have ingredients to make other things too if I could get going. Maybe I should have my favorite motivator, a nice cold coke! That is my favorite "drink", ha ha!

I really don't want to go down this road of staying home and miserable. I think I have almost talked myself into going now. Thanks! Heaven help us all... :thumbsup:

Hi Gardenia! Good idea! However if I get up the gumption (working on it) to go to the store, that will get me started. Sweet potato dishes are fairly easy. I do like to cook and am proud of a nice dish when it happens. Everyone would like a pie I guess, although the sweet potatoes would be cheaper. I only have a few bucks literally to do this with. I have ingredients to make other things too if I could get going. Maybe I should have my favorite motivator, a nice cold coke! That is my favorite "drink", ha ha!

I really don't want to go down this road of staying home and miserable. I think I have almost talked myself into going now. Thanks! Heaven help us all... :thumbsup:

i hope you have a good time :thumbsup:

theres always sweet potato pie, never had but supposed to be good ;)

love candied sw potatoes too

Sweet potato pie is awesome...hmmm, believe it or not, it is 1 am and I still am not sure what dish I am going to make. I am psychotic! I baked a bunch and they are still hot. My family always says, just make them mashed without sugar. I just hate to make something plain but with butter, salt and pepper, maybe a little cayenne they would be delicious. May have to do the easiest quickest thing tomorrow, it is getting late and I am still undecided. I looked up bunches of recipes online, there are so many! Lots have tons of sugar.

Also, I cannot have pie unless I make gluten free pie crust so that is a bit of trouble! I sure need to find a good and easy recipe for pie crust that is gluten free. Just love watching the others eat all their cake and rolls!

I sure hope I can get some rest tonight, I am awfully wide awake here so late. Gotta wind down. Some nights are really bad.

See you all back here on Christmas...Katia