Hypothetical From A Retired Criminal Attorney & Advocate For The Deaf

[fr...]

In order to comply with the appropriate rules, I would like to pose this hypothetical: Since 9/11, and other disasters (both natural and man-made, so to speak), what will BBs do as a back up if...God forbid one cannot get to the pharmacy for a refill of meds, or to one's physician for a script? The reason I am making this query/hypo is because a BB has raised a most important issue. She fears the real possibility of being "thrown under the bus" at some point during her taper by her physician. This has already happened to me with a too-short supply left of Valium in order to safely complete my Ashton Protocol off of Dalmane. But it got me thinking...with all the horrors going on in the world, how does anyone know for sure what tomorrow will bring insofar as reliance (some might call it "servitude") to a so-called profession that requires the doling-out-piece-meal of life-saving meds to be free at last of all benzos, as well as other meds.

Some may call it paranoia. I do not. My career depended upon looking at worst-case scenarios in order to save my clients. Plan A, Plan B, Plan C ad infinitum was called for as basic training. I regret of course that I was not so wise as to do this for myself. So, I am flawed in that way...and I'll take that hit.

Seriously, however, are there back-up items/meds out there for anyone, anywhere who finds himself or herself unable to access their life-saving prescribed medications: i.e., items that can be purchased over the counter to have on hand for an emergency if one's scripts cannot be refilled, etc.

I am specifically interested in anything that would calm the GABA A receptors in such an emergency...even if it is just as a temporary measure until one can resume access to doctors, pharmacists, and the like when the emergent situation is over.

That is a very good question but I suppose others would have started taking that unknown substance instead and it would be well known on the board. But then maybe someone else knows. The thread title is a little ...imposing...maybe why no replies yet...

I speculate that alcohol may have actually helped me early in wd, but of course I have no way of knowing this for sure and there is always the possibility that it could have caused problems for me and I didn't make a connection.

If they use benzos to get people off of alcohol why couldn't they use alcohol to get people off benzos? They are different drugs but they do hit the same receptors and act in a similar manner. I don't advocate trying something like this without knowing for sure that it can do more good than harm, but to my knowledge there really isn't much else out there.

Kava? Valerian? I don't know....

Hi:

I am not aware of any OTC drug that get truly get rid of benzos withdrawal symptoms except for benzos themselves. Some help with something like sleep, but not the depravation of the drug. But you make a good point about being put under the bus, so to speak. I think we all fear that. Betsy

Good question, as anything can and will happen. I have/had pondered this dilemma

over with my sig. other many, many times during acute withdrawals. What will happen if

a major catastrophic situation rears its ugly head anywhere in the USA. Where does one

go/get their medications if all systems are down?

One more reason to get OFF Benzos.  The question still remains, what about life

saving meds? Clearly, do we have the answers?

NFM