withdrawal symptoms even after taper???

[...]

I have been cruising this board and it seems that most people still have symtoms even after getting off the benzo.  Am I reading this correctly???  I was under the false impression that I would be back to normal once I stopped taking this junk!!!  Went on ativan due to anxiety, so when I get off is it possible the anxiety will return full force?

Hiya Cal!

It depends on a few things:

1. It depends on how long you were taking the drug and at what dose. Statistically speaking, the higher the dose and the longer the use, the harder it can be. That's not to say it's a sure thing, as many people have gotten off the meds after being on them for YEARS and YEARS without nary a symptom, but for many there are symptoms that hang around after prolonged use.

2. How bad was your underlying condition? Drugs do ONE thing and ONE thing only - they MASK symptoms. They do not cure the condition if you have anxiety, they do not repair the mind if it's having trouble with panic... they simply make you calmer so that the symptoms do not bother you. I have a severe panic disorder, but am learning that what I NEED is some cognitive behavioural therapy, not drugs. So far, I'm doing ok, but it takes time to deal with the underlying disorder, since I had it masked for 21 years.

3. How well do you treat your body? Are you fit? Active? Do you eat well? Do you exercise? Do you eat fast food? These are all things that can help/hinder your w/d, even after the drugs are done.

The bottom line is this - nobody is 100% sure how long withdrawal can last - it's all up to the person going through it. A positive attitude, a healthy lifestyle, the desire to change - these are all things that will affect how you get through this and if you're beginning to worry (and that's natural), you need to step away from the situation for a while and take control! As for the anxiety coming back full force, I won't lie - it can. Mine did, but again, I had NO way of knowing how to cope with situations I haven't had to cope with since I was 14!!!! So for me, I had to relearn how to do these things, a process I am doing now. It isn't all that fun, but I make of it what I have to. I am choosing not to live my life as a victim, which is what many people end up doing. They see the symptoms, allow themselves to succumb to them and fall into a horrible trap... but it's all up to YOU how you get through this.

Don't worry about what is to come. The future doesn't exist. Deal with the present and understand that what you do NOW will affect what could come soon. No matter what, YOU WILL BE FINE! :) Trust me, I'm doing better each and every day!! :)

-Petey

hi Cal,

Everyone is different. Some still have some very bad symptoms, others don't. I did not. Anything I had or have is mild. Don't think right away that you will feel bad for a great lenght of time. You may not. I sure hope you don't  ;)Kel

Also- if you were put on this for anxiety, then you need to have a way to cope. It is true that you hace to face things for them to go away. But I will say my aniety was so much worse on the meds. If you are a person who doesn't deal well with strees, it may be harder. If you tackle things head on, it'll probably only be a little bump in the road. Meditation, breathing , visualization are all good forms of coping

yea, I was put on this for anxiety.....I was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Which has since been removed and it was benign, 100% recovery from it with surgery.  So as far as that goes, my anxiety should be gone...NOT!!!!!

Anyway, I have discovered that I have had panic attacks before, just didn't know that's what it was at the time.  Dealt with it and moved on ;)

I used to think I did deal well with stress, but this brain tumor thing put me over the edge  :-\

Now I am dealing with 2 daughters leaving home and I have pretty much put my LIFE into them.  I still have 3 at home, but, man, I haven't dealt well with these 2 leaving......also around the age that perimenopause may be kicking in, winter is around the corner and i HATE winter.....Alot going on, but I need to remember to deal with what is now and not borrow trouble.  :nono:

I've suffered from anxiety/panic issues for over 21 years now. The meds kept me safe from the symptoms, but now that I'm off of the meds, I am forced to deal with the symptoms of panic/anxiety all day, everyday. You'd think this is a bad thing, but it's really not - it's forcing me to learn and understand how to cope with these feelings, which is what those asshole doctors should have recognized when I was 14... Yeah, I'm angry about it, but I can't live in the past. :) Suffice to say, it's hard for me to know if my anxiety is worse because of w/d or what, but one thing is for sure...

I am going to get this no matter what (and so will you). :)

-Pete

Yeah, pete, I am actually starting a 16 week course called Attacking anxiety & depression.  Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the meetings, but I will do the course on my own.  It helps to retrain your mind into thinking what you need to be thinking.  Gives the control back to the person. 

Hmm, I don't know who the course is by.  The person running the support group said it costs around $500 but she bought it on ebay alot cheaper.  She has permission to copy the evaulations and she is "tweaking" the program for the needs of her group. 

I will be participating by only doing the evaluations and lessons on my own as I am 150 miles from where the meetings will be held.  The leader thinks it will benefit me greatly even on my own, better than not doing it at all.  I will have telephone suppport from her, too.  Wish I lived closer and could benefit from being with these people.  I may try to make a couple meetings, but with the anxiety and w/d symptoms, don't know if I'll be able to  :(