How long did your acute phase last?

[ba...]

Hi babyrex,

While it is different for everyone my acute stage lasted about 2 months. During that time the worst part was the first 6 weeks. It was pretty rough but I did not do a long and slow taper.  I know this period of time is hard to tolerate but you it will get better.  There were days I cried into my computer keyboard because I was miserable.  This is the time to be kind and gentle with yourself.  Use those tools of distraction and let your body heal, it knows how. It does.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Thank you for your reply, pianogirl.  I know I shouldn't be putting a time-table to withdrawal, but this is insane.  I'm getting no relief 24/7 and it's kind of scaring me.  Your words give me hope and I appreciate that.

:smitten:

I know the fear babyrex, and I know it will go away.  Put all your trust in your cns, it will find balance once again.  I'm sending you strength and hope......

PG  :smitten:

PS.  Duck, the acute phase is when you are just off benzos and can vary from weeks to several months. It tends to be the time of the worst symptoms.

Thanks pg I can remember spending about 4 weeks not being very good with really bad  w/d symptoms and those went.

I am not out of the woods yet. I was on sleeping tablets and now I can drop off and if I wake up I can drop back off. I May not have many hours of sleep but at least the sleeping tablets have gone :thumbsup:

I am just about 4 months benzo free so it is early days for me.

Duck :smitten:

Thanks again PG.

Thank you Sal.  I hope you get some relief soon!

Hi Duck!  I'm glad you're back!  Gosh I hope I get a little relief in a week or two...

Thanks again PG.

Thank you Sal.  I hope you get some relief soon!

Hi Duck!  I'm glad you're back!  Gosh I hope I get a little relief in a week or two...

Thank you babyrex

Remember we are all different and my motto is one day at time.

I know it is hard for all of us some more than others.

Duck :smitten:

Hi Baby,

I'm sending healing thoughts to you.  I know what you are going through.  I had the most wonderful day yesterday. When I have those days I try to do too much.  Today is not so good.  Just pamper yourself.  Hang in there, it really will get better.

Mama2  :smitten:

Thank you Innadaze!  I suppose some may be disappointed in 3-4 months, but for me this is good news.  I've already had months of hell, I can take a few more months.  :)  I just need to be reminded that I won't be in bed forever...  :sick:

Thank you Mama!  I'm so happy you are doing better!  Hopefully I'll get a window, if not, at least be less symptomatic.

Hi Baby. I'm 15 weeks off tomorrow. Still very symptomatic. It is exhausting and I'm ready for a break. However, I am in a bad wave right now. The worst since I ended my taper. The great news is while I wouldn't say I'm having symptom free windows yet, I did start getting days with a significant lessening of symptoms....days where I am out of bed and participating in life-not without pain yet but still so much better! Hang in there! It will begin to happen for you! Even now in a big wave I am more functional than in the last 2 years!

Hugs to you!

Hopeful Girl

Hi Baby....it feels like is goes on and on, huh? I am sorry you are having a tough time. So much wisdom in the posts here and one main theme is give it time. I'm usually good about adopting that philosophy but some days I just want to shout enough already!!!!!

The past three days I had a lightening of symptoms for several hours each afternoon to the point I was about 50 % Me. It was wonderful. Like Hopeful, I still had the symptoms but they were light enough to allow me to relax and see the progress. I know my situation is different in that I am still tapering valium...but I am recovering from xanax too.

Hang on Baby...your body knows what to do and it is healing cell by cell. Our time to celebrate feeling well is coming. The effort you have put into tapering will pay off in a wonderful way.

Love to you,

Carita

Thank you Hopeful!  I'm so sorry you are in a big wave right now.  But I am happy to hear you are able to participate in life again!  It sounds as though you've had significant healing even with this setback.  Your doctors put you on a horrifically high dose, so it seems to me you are doing pretty well all things considered.  You've been a real trooper throughout your withdrawal.  :thumbsup:

Thank you sweet Carita.  I am happy you are having partial windows!  Wonderful news!  It's so easy for me to forget this is all part of the healing process, and instead I wallow in my pain and suffering.  :'(  It's all so unrelenting, so it does my heart good to hear you are beginning to feel better.

Thank you Innadaze!  I suppose some may be disappointed in 3-4 months, but for me this is good news.  I've already had months of hell, I can take a few more months.  :)  I just need to be reminded that I won't be in bed forever...  :sick:

Thank you Mama!  I'm so happy you are doing better!  Hopefully I'll get a window, if not, at least be less symptomatic.

Oh yes, you will be getting better and won't be crippled with the w/d forever. Eventually it goes from mostly "hell" to "miserable" then "crappy with brief periods of ok", etc...... Every day you are getting better, even when it feels worse. Many think the most healing takes place during those nasty waves. Take care!  :smitten:

Oh yes, you will be getting better and won't be crippled with the w/d forever. Eventually it goes from mostly "hell" to "miserable" then "crappy with brief periods of ok", etc...... Every day you are getting better, even when it feels worse. Many think the most healing takes place during those nasty waves. Take care!  :smitten:

Thank you for making me laugh Innadaze! :laugh: I'd settle for miserable right now!

HI Brex,

Innadaze described it well. From near death feeling to miserable to maybe I'll survive after all !

My acute phase appears to have been about 3 months long and started to lift about 2 weeks before the end of my taper....thank God !!

Hang in there Brex, it does get better !!  :thumbsup:

Patrick

Thank you Ama!  Three months seems to be the average for most buddies.  I'm glad you are getting your life back. It's wonderful to be reminded that it does get better.

Carita,

I think this question gets asked so much that there should be a "withdrawal Q&A" section so it doesn't get asked over and over and over.

Innadaze is spot on: 2-4 months is a good average. I did a c/t off Valium after 15+ years, so my first two months were hell, months 3 and 4 were "do-able," and it's been up and down from month 5 to month 7, which I will hit the day after Christmas.

All in all, after about 5 months it's just been all over the place. Some good days. Some bad days. Mostly "crap" in between days, but over time the "crap" has gotten slightly less "crappier," so I'm hoping to be "crapless" by about 12-14 months.

As someone pointed out, you did a sensible taper, so things MAY be easier for you. No guarantees, though, as I've seen some taperers do great and others do really bad. It's just really a different experience for everyone, with some broad generalities, but not enough specifics to give more detailed time-lines.

As I've learned to say: "It will be what it will be."

Thank you Tex!  It's weird. Just as I was typing a reply, my tinnitus suddenly disappeared...for a minute.  :laugh:  It's back now but not as bad.  This is one more sign of healing.  No matter how much we read about waves and acute withdrawal, it never seems to penetrate our benzo beleaguered brains.  We adhere to the psychotic responses and envelope them much like an oyster does to a grain of sand.

I can take pain.  Just not this much.  But I am getting better even if I don't know it yet.