Anxiety Returns with a Vengence- 6 weeks

[kr...]

Six weeks ago I took my last does of Clonazepam.  I was taking it for a total of about 9 weeks...like lots of others I accidentally became addicted after I started taking it daily to deal with work stress.  At first it was easy for me to attribute my symptoms to withdrawal.  About 3 days ago I woke up with full blown anxiety and I just can't shake it.  I am now totally convinced that my remaining fatigue, general malaise, weakness in legs (although it has improved), intermittent pain in my right side ribs etc. are symptoms of some sort terminal disease.  I have struggled with health related anxiety in the past - but it is very bad for me now.  Has anyone else who was a short term user experienced really bad anxiety at 6 weeks out?  Any suggestions on how to cope.  My scary thoughts are difficult to handle - I get so worried about how my impending death will impact my kids (that sounds so absurd when I type it out).  Thanks!

I hate to say it, but even with your relatively short-term use, it sounds as if you're in withdrawal. That the bad news. The good news is that if it's been six weeks since your last dose you are almost through the very worst part of acute withdrawal, which tends to last about two months, before gradually easing up.

The other good news is that most short-term users have relatively moderate withdrawal symptoms, although what's "moderate" to me may seem overwhelming to you. Hang in there. Things should slowly ease up for you in the weeks and months ahead. What's important is to try and find a way to reduce your work-related anxiety/stress and to avoid taking more benzos, which could end up in you becoming even more dependent on them.

Hang in there. You should feel better by early January, if all goes well for you.