Crippling insomnia at 6-7 months off

[...]

Hi all,

I can't believe my insomnia is now getting worse and worse after a long continuous improvement. Only got 2 hours of broken sleep last night. I feel like dying right now. I have been avoiding any sleep aid of any type. But now considering them. Should I try Benedryl or zzzzquil ? Anyone has good experience with it during w/D to help your sleep ?

Ed C

I use benadryl and melatonin . That combo helps me. If I don't sleep , my symptoms get much worse so I do take the benadryl and melatonin. Sleep is important in this grueling process so taking something that helps isn't the worst thing

Thanks Megan, how long were you on it and do you have any problem doing without it since ? I hope I don't jump from the frying pan to the fire ?

Ed C

Thanks Megan, how long were you on it and do you have any problem doing without it since ? I hope I don't jump from the frying pan to the fire ?

Ed C

I've been on it for about two years now, not every night and when I do take it it's almost always just one pill, .25 size.  Too much diphenhydramine can make one feel cloudy and hungover in the morning, and some people can become dependent on it. 

I use benadryl and melatonin . That combo helps me. If I don't sleep , my symptoms get much worse so I do take the benadryl and melatonin. Sleep is important in this grueling process so taking something that helps isn't the worst thing

Thanks Allen. I used Melantonin when I was still on antidepressant and benzo to help me sleep. It worked for a short while and then it quit working. I doubt it will work now. Do you take Benadryl alone first and found it was not effective then added Melantonin.

Ed C

Ed C

I've been on it for about two years now, not every night and when I do take it it's almost always just one pill, .25 size.  Too much diphenhydramine can make one feel cloudy and hungover in the morning, and some people can become dependent on it.

Thanks again Megan, was it effective even when you were a bit anxious at bedtime ?

Ed C

Yes, it always worked for me.  I wait till I'm about to nod off before going to bed, though, which usually takes about 30 minutes after taking the pill.  I will add that aside from serious problems sleeping the first few months off benzos, insomnia has never been a serious problem for me.

There are a few things you can try Ed. I know I've had insomnia off and on, all through this. Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

A few recommendations:

1. Many people on BB, myself included, used remeron in a low does for sleep. It has other side effects, but is very effective.

2. Sleep hygiene. Google it and follow the tips

3.  Exercise, sugar and caffeine. Self explanatory

4. Melatonin. Works for some. I use it periodically

5. Valerian root. I find this more effective than melatonin

6. Costco sleep aid. It has a few ingredients in it including melatonin. I find it very effective

7. Lemon balm. Not sure if u watch doc oz or not, but it's his recommendation for anxiety and insomnia. I have it and it's ok

8. Aroma therapy. I have lavender essential oil that I dilute and spray in my bedroom before sleep. I think it helps

Talk about some of these options with your doctor to make sure they are ok for u.

I feel your frustration. Insomnia is something I've battled my entire life, and previously used to use alcohol for. Sleep deprivation will not kill you. Are you working these days?  I know I'm not, so when I don't sleep I just remind myself with CBT that I can just relax all day and take care of my health. Sleep will come eventually.

Rest easy my friend!

This is key for me. There is a difference between being tired and being ready for bed. Regardless of how tired you are take the time to calm your mind down BEFORE you get into bed. Sit in a dark quiet room for 20 minutes. When you start yawning constantly and even nodding off then go to bed. If you don't fall asleep in 20 minutes get out of bed and sit on the couch again. Do not reward your mind with anything stimulating. Your mind will find the couch sitting so boring that eventually it will give up and let you sleep.

What is your current situation with zopiclone? I don't see a taper or discontinuation in your sig.

Hi WorriedDad, I am off all psych. medication. I discontinued Zopiclone on June, 9, 2013 as well. None of those drugs actually helped me more than a few weeks. I went downhill fast after that. I was always a good sleeper, well, until the first antidepressant pill. Then came the benzo, zopiclone, Remeron, trazodone......, every one of them played a role in messing up my brain and sleeping pattern. I am so scare now that I will never be able to sleep properly again.

Ed C

There are a few things you can try Ed. I know I've had insomnia off and on, all through this. Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

A few recommendations:

1. Many people on BB, myself included, used remeron in a low does for sleep. It has other side effects, but is very effective.

3.  Exercise, sugar and caffeine. Self explanatory

4. Melatonin. Works for some. I use it periodically

5. Valerian root. I find this more effective than melatonin

6. Costco sleep aid. It has a few ingredients in it including melatonin. I find it very effective

7. Lemon balm. Not sure if u watch doc oz or not, but it's his recommendation for anxiety and insomnia. I have it and it's ok

8. Aroma therapy. I have lavender essential oil that I dilute and spray in my bedroom before sleep. I think it helps

Talk about some of these options with your doctor to make sure they are ok for u.

I feel your frustration. Insomnia is something I've battled my entire life, and previously used to use alcohol for. Sleep deprivation will not kill you. Are you working these days?  I know I'm not, so when I don't sleep I just remind myself with CBT that I can just relax all day and take care of my health. Sleep will come eventually.

Rest easy my friend!

Thanks Svenhoak, I tried just about everything including whats on your list with not much success when I was on anti-depressant, benzo and other sleep aids. I also walk for 30 min. A day and don't drink coffee. Sugar is next it zero as I never liked sweet stuff anyway. I also follow the sleep hygiene every night.

My sleep was getting better and better for the past three months, average 6-7 hours a night. I don't know why the insomnia just roared back with no reason. Just frustrating.

Ed C

I am so scare now that I will never be able to sleep properly again.

Hi Ed. I felt the same way. I averaged 2 hours per night for 3 months. I am now sleeping great. I can't say for certain what it was that changed things for me or what you need to do but don't lose hope. I (and many others) are proof that you can totally ruin your sleeping abilities and recover from it.

Hi Ed. I felt the same way. I averaged 2 hours per night for 3 months. I am now sleeping great. I can't say for certain what it was that changed things for me or what you need to do but don't lose hope. I (and many others) are proof that you can totally ruin your sleeping abilities and recover from it.

Thank Worriedad, I needed to hear that affirmation again. I still believe this body of mine will heal from the devastation caused by the drug cocktail. I think I am going to tough it out tonight and do without any sleep aid again. Well, they say insomnia won't kill you. Actually, I wish it does to end this misery for me. :-(

Keep on healing buddie.

Ed C

Hi Ed-

You probably saw this, but front page (as I recall) NYT story about insomnia and cognitive behavioral therapy, and depression.  HUGE strides either made or at least suggested re how insomnia can be vastly improved with what is called CBT-I.  Apparently a combo of sleep hygiene & some more targeted discussions, with high success rates in a very short time.  Just one study complete so far with 3 or so more in the pipeline, federally funded.

Hoping so much that You can locate the article & that it might lead you to something that might help! 

I too got hit really hard at months 5-6.  A lot of people here suggest various remedies for sleep but for me personally if my benzo withdrawal decided that I'm not sleeping tonight than guess what?  I'm not sleeping tonight no matter what I take.  I take some Trazadone these days but I'm not sure if it's really helping.  I've had many nights where I took 100mg Traz at night and still didn't sleep the whole night.  It seems like with withdrawal based insomnia you pretty much just have to ride it out.

I too got hit really hard at months 5-6.  A lot of people here suggest various remedies for sleep but for me personally if my benzo withdrawal decided that I'm not sleeping tonight than guess what?  I'm not sleeping tonight no matter what I take.  I take some Trazadone these days but I'm not sure if it's really helping.  I've had many nights where I took 100mg Traz at night and still didn't sleep the whole night.  It seems like with withdrawal based insomnia you pretty much just have to ride it out.

I tend to agree with you roast3d, I intended to tough it out tonight and see what happen. I hope just how quickly the insomnia reappeared, it can disappear just as quickly. Are you sleeping ok these days ?

Ed C

I hope just how quickly the insomnia reappeared, it can disappear just as quickly.

I have a theory on this. Just like benzos cause a down regulation of GABA receptors which reverses itself after withdrawal, I believe the brain makes adjustments through periods of insomnia. It up-regulates the things needed to help you sleep and down-regulates the things that keep you awake. It takes months for these changes to occur but eventually the changes are sufficient that you can sleep again. Unfortunately, for many of us it appears to be a cycle that repeats itself but at least we get reprieves :)

What is your current situation with zopiclone? I don't see a taper or discontinuation in your sig.

Hey Worriedad, that sounds good to me. I'll take that theory any time ! The Bible says we are fearfully and wonderfully made by our Creator. I have to believe our bodies can and will heal themselves, if we allow them.

Take care my friend.

Ed C

Hey Ed,

You will sleep again....then you won't again...then you will again. Eventually you'll come back to what you know before benzos. You need patience...lots of it. At 6-7 months almost nothing helped except for amitriptyline in very small amounts. At 9-11 moths my sleep has improved considerably then went really bad again at 15 months. Now is acceptable again and a little bit of benadryl helps when really needed but I try my best to avoid everything. I'm afraid of jumping from the pan into the fire, they're all addictive.

Take care,

Miti

Thanks Miti, that really encourages me. I finally gave in last night and took a Benedryl around 11 o'clock. I slept ok, about 5 hours. But not waking up refreshed, not  groggy either, don't know how to explain the feeling. I do feel more nervous, fear, hollow in the stomach and overall insecure in this world type of sensation. I am not sure if it is the effect of Benadryl or this is my normal day anyway. Well, one day at a time, I guess.

I noticed you are only a short term user. Do you think you are 80% healed ? How long have you been off benzo or any type of psych. med ?

Ed C

Hi all,

I can't believe my insomnia is now getting worse and worse after a long continuous improvement. Only got 2 hours of broken sleep last night. I feel like dying right now. I have been avoiding any sleep aid of any type. But now considering them. Should I try Benedryl or zzzzquil ? Anyone has good experience with it during w/D to help your sleep ?

Ed C

Ed

Can you do any exercise  , until you are very tired , and not  pills ?

I had insomnia 12 years on Clon and when quit benzo I start  bike all days nights  for past  2 years and my sleep was never better .  Like  you  I will slept  hour or two , but after be out on fresh air  , bike or walk fast  ,  Last was  hour before sleep .  I don't take any drug  28. months , only exercise and fresh air.

I noticed you are only a short term user. Do you think you are 80% healed ? How long have you been off benzo or any type of psych. med ?

Ed C

Hi Ed,

I'm almost 16 months off after very low dose of "assorted" benzos and sleeping pills (ativan, xanax, zopiclone). Unfortunately I realized not too long ago that this was the second time for me and maybe that's why I had such a violent reaction, my CNS was pre-sensitized and probably I'm sensitive for life. Around 2005-2007, I don't remember exactly, I was prescribed Librax for what my doctor at that time said was IBS. I took it for few weeks, a month, and I stopped C/T because it didn't do anything. I went through similar symptoms at that time except for insomnia and maybe that's why I went much easier over the WD. The length of time and the dose didn't seem to count this second time. I had a really bad reaction to the poison and I experienced many of the symptoms that long term users have. I went through months of almost total insomnia. I didn't think I'll make it.

Am I 80% healed? Some days (or nights) yes some other I'm nowhere close to that. I'm still going through waves of insomnia, muscle aches, mental fog, derealization, digestive issues, blah, blah, blah... What can I do? I come here and vent from time to time, I feel like a zombie after few sleepless nights but overall I'm getting better. Veeeeeerrrrrryyyy sssslllooooooooowwwwww but I move in the good direction. I didn't touch a drop of alcohol since Sep 2012, I try to avoid any sleep aids and supplements.

Miti