Does withdrawal make us hypochondriacs?

[os...]

OK, in an IDEAL world I would love it if everyone answered this honestly.

Are you or were you hypochondriac BEFORE withdrawal?

(I wonder who is prepared to answer that question honestly).

I have noticed that during my withdrawal I have obsessed over the craziest things, in my first year when I was bedridden for awhile, I got a small bedsore, it was hardly formed (yet sore) but it had not broken the skin.

I usually do NOT Google illnesses or medical conditions but on this occasion I did and I freaked myself out thinking my tiny bedsore was going to eat away at me and I briefly was quite scared.

Looking back I can see how absurd that was... but in my withdrawal induced warped thinking, it was a worry at the time.

I know we all go through some horrific stuff but wondered how many of us were hypochondriac BEFORE this started and how many of us lean towards being hypochondriac now?

Do we stress and worry over stuff that simply isn't anything other than withdrawal?

Do we read stuff here and start worrying about the same happening to us?

POTS, Graves, Hashimoto's, permanent brain damage, fibromyalgia, MS, chronic fatigue symdrome and the list goes on...

Is this all just a case of it being withdrawal or can withdrawal trigger serious illness or are we just being misdiagnosed?

Are we actually imagining stuff simply because we are sick with withdrawal and symptoms mimic other conditions?

Hi Oscar! I was not a hypochondriac before w/d. I was a TOTAL hypochondriac in the worst of it. It gradually got better and I became more rational about the way I reacted when things happened. At 27 months off I still have things happen but I don't freak out about it much any more (every so often I do slip back into hypocondriac mode!). I do believe catastrophic thinking and hypochondria are some of the worst symptoms. It felt uncontrollable but it does eventually ease off. When I get a chance I hope to answer your question on the protracted board about health (let's get serious, was the title, I think) but as this sort of ties in I'll add here that my health per blood work, etc. is excellent after quite a long, nasty w/d.

I had health anxiety before but the increased daytime anxiety I suffered during my zopiclone use made it MUCH worse than usual.

I thought the abdominal pain was colon cancer. I had a virtual colonoscopy to rule it out.

During the investigating of my abdominal pain the doctor thought I might have an AAA so I had an ultrasound to rule it out (okay this was my doctor not me).

I thought my muscle twitches were ALS. I saw two neurologists and had an MRI to rule it out.

And I'm only 39 with no family history of anything related to these so the chances were very low. But I convince myself that I have them.

Now that I'm drug free I feel much less anxiety about my health. It is partly because the benzos are a logical explanation of every symptom and partly because I've received psychological support.

Hi Oscar! I was not a hypochondriac before w/d. I was a TOTAL hypochondriac in the worst of it. It gradually got better and I became more rational about the way I reacted when things happened. At 27 months off I still have things happen but I don't freak out about it much any more (every so often I do slip back into hypocondriac mode!). I do believe catastrophic thinking and hypochondria are some of the worst symptoms. It felt uncontrollable but it does eventually ease off. When I get a chance I hope to answer your question on the protracted board about health (let's get serious, was the title, I think) but as this sort of ties in I'll add here that my health per blood work, etc. is excellent after quite a long, nasty w/d.

Good stuff zippy, glad your blood work came back good.

I have not been tested for anything as yet, I will probably seek to get a full medical in the first few months of the coming year... just to put my mind at ease on a few things.

Thanks for your honesty, I have been hypochondriac in withdrawal also... but before? Never. I have never stressed about health prior to this...

It pains me to see some even go for CT scans and stuff like that and to me that seems extreme... I don't know, maybe it's not? !!!  :-\

I had health anxiety before but the increased daytime anxiety I suffered during my zopiclone use made it MUCH worse than usual.

I thought the abdominal pain was colon cancer. I had a virtual colonoscopy to rule it out.

During the investigating of my abdominal pain the doctor thought I might have an AAA so I had an ultrasound to rule it out (okay this was my doctor not me).

I thought my muscle twitches were ALS. I saw two neurologists and had an MRI to rule it out.

And I'm only 39 with no family history of anything related to these so the chances were very low. But I convince myself that I have them.

Now that I'm drug free I feel much less anxiety about my health. It is partly because the benzos are a logical explanation of every symptom and partly because I've received psychological support.

Thanks Worried. That was honest. I need to Google ALS now.

Glad you are less stressed.  :thumbsup:

No.

I have noticed that during my withdrawal I have obsessed over the craziest things, in my first year when I was bedridden for awhile, I got a small bedsore, it was hardly formed (yet sore) but it had not broken the skin.

I did these kind of things also.

I usually do NOT Google illnesses or medical conditions but on this occasion I did and I freaked myself out thinking my tiny bedsore was going to eat away at me and I briefly was quite scared.

Looking back I can see how absurd that was... but in my withdrawal induced warped thinking, it was a worry at the time.

I Googled every little thing also.

I know we all go through some horrific stuff but wondered how many of us were hypochondriac BEFORE this started and how many of us lean towards being hypochondriac now?

Went through that phase and thankfully it is over and I have come to accept it is just the withdrawals.

Do we stress and worry over stuff that simply isn't anything other than withdrawal?

Yes.

Yes.

POTS, Graves, Hashimoto's, permanent brain damage, fibromyalgia, MS, chronic fatigue symdrome and the list goes on...

I have symptoms of every disease known to man.

Is this all just a case of it being withdrawal or can withdrawal trigger serious illness or are we just being misdiagnosed?

It is the withdrawals.

Are we actually imagining stuff simply because we are sick with withdrawal and symptoms mimic other conditions?

Yes.

No.

I did these kind of things also.

I Googled every little thing also.

Went through that phase and thankfully it is over and I have come to accept it is just the withdrawals.

Yes.

Yes.

I have symptoms of every disease known to man.

It is the withdrawals.

Yes.

This man is certified sane.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the candid answers.

It's exactly how I feel about withdrawal.

I won't be going to the Doctor's any time soon asking for any diagnosis.

The less we stress this stuff and accept it is withdrawal the sooner we will get better, of that I am convinced.

Eat well, rest and do a little exercise as and when able... and distract, much of this crap is illusion.

If we get all these diseases from withdrawal then why the heck would we wanna get off this stuff?

Focus on recovery... not stuff that isn't even what it feels it is...

We are withdrawing from a drug, of course we feel like crap.

I dunno if Im a hypochondriac or not, dont know what the exact definition of that is...

people say I am lol

I do know Im a "awfulizer".... I dont go looking for illnesses, but if something "occurs", Im instantly in the worst case senario...... I think I got HIV everytime I get laid, until I wait 3 months and get tested... again.....totally scared the entire time, every symptom in the book......shit like that....

Big time.  I actually thought I had MS & then they mentioned ALS, but that was from my constant muscle twitches, numbness & other symptoms all being caused by Ativan that they had just prescribed.  This was 14 years ago & the doctors were clueless.

Fast forward to today and tapering for the last few months.  Every day I think something new is wrong.  I had a pimple on my arm that I thought was skin cancer a few weeks ago. Chest pains & I think it's a heart attack. White stuff on my tongue & I think I have some fungal infection in my mouth. Coughing & I think it's cancer. On & on it goes. 

But, since I know that these are most likely related to withdrawals, I resist the urge to call the doctors.  I've learned not to call right away after scheduling multiple doctor appointments only to cancel when the symptoms go away.

I was a slight hypochondriac prior to all this though.  I definitely have compulsive behavior so it's just magnified during this phase of my life.

This man is certified sane.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the candid answers.

The less we stress this stuff and accept it is withdrawal the sooner we will get better, of that I am convinced.

Eat well, rest and do a little exercise as and when able... and distract, much of this crap is illusion.

If we get all these diseases from withdrawal then why the heck would we wanna get off this stuff?

Focus on recovery... not stuff that isn't even what it feels it is...

We are withdrawing from a drug, of course we feel like crap.

You are welcome and now you got it! :thumbsup:

Big time.  I actually thought I had MS & then they mentioned ALS, but that was from my constant muscle twitches, numbness & other symptoms all being caused by Ativan that they had just prescribed.  This was 14 years ago & the doctors were clueless.

Fast forward to today and tapering for the last few months.  Every day I think something new is wrong.  I had a pimple on my arm that I thought was skin cancer a few weeks ago. Chest pains & I think it's a heart attack. White stuff on my tongue & I think I have some fungal infection in my mouth. Coughing & I think it's cancer. On & on it goes. 

But, since I know that these are most likely related to withdrawals, I resist the urge to call the doctors.  I've learned not to call right away after scheduling multiple doctor appointments only to cancel when the symptoms go away.

I was a slight hypochondriac prior to all this though.  I definitely have compulsive behavior so it's just magnified during this phase of my life.

OMG! You sound JUST like me!  I thought I had the same things!  ALS/MS, moles that may be cancerous, thrush, and on and on.  Wow. :o

I looked up pale stools earlier on Google... the page I found said I would be dead in 10 years.

I laughed... screw Google and all that crap... it's withdrawal and stuff is out of whack.

What is ALS?

I bet the "S" is for syndrome.  :D::)

I'm in the middle of my taper and convinced I'm getting

permanent brain damage.... Not from benzo use but from that stupid drug

Lyrica I was put on.

Ive been convinced by all the reading that I shouldn't get off it until I finish my taper.

I believe it's caused so many cog issues....stuff I didn't have at a previous failed c/t

So I'm stuck on it for a long time...will be brain dead by then  >:(

I became a total hypochondriac. Normal body functions would throw me into a panic. It happens to me still but less intense. My doctor said I had "health anxiety" the withdraws off klonopin caused a lot of very scary health symptoms. Tight chest, headaches, heart palpitations, and weird sensations in every part of my body.  I think for me I had to learn how to be in my own body without 2.5 mg of medication that numbed me on a daily basis.  I really started to heal when I found this site and other information about the awful benzo withdrawals. For months I had no idea what was causing the daily symptoms. I became obsessed with thinking I had cancer I couldn't shake it. I still get afraid that these withdrawals will come back but since I got below the 1mg mark all symptoms are less intense. 

I don't feel that I have an exaggerated concern over my health. I may have had hypochondriacal tendencies many years ago but sort of outgrew it as the years went on.

Besides, is what we feel an exaggerated response? Who wouldn't feel anxious if presented with so many symptoms?

I think even a "normal" person would become rattled by this process!

I have to say I'm a little offended as I actually do have Graves'. 

I think when you are told by professionals that you are not experiencing what you are experiencing you begin to look towards other things as the source of the problem.

WWWI

I had a rash recently and just knew it was MRSA, but it wasn't.  It's almost cleared up now.

Normally, I don't think I'm a hypochondriac though.

I have to say I'm a little offended as I actually do have Graves'. 

I think when you are told by professionals that you are not experiencing what you are experiencing you begin to look towards other things as the source of the problem.

WWWI

I would be more inclined to think that withdrawal mimics Graves and that is why some doctors will make such a diagnosis... after all, they seem to know squat about benzodiazepine withdrawal... I am a bit past trusting "professional" doctors at this point...

If you have Graves WWWI, chances are it will automatically heal as you heal from withdrawal... ihope said the same thing... it all went away which is really encouraging...

If indeed we can contract these illnesses as a direct result of withdrawal, then isn't that just the most disgusting thing ever?

I hope you feel better soon WWWI.

Oscar

I appreciate your good wishes and thoughts.  I believe the trauma of w/d had something to do with triggering the disease, since severe trauma can be a triggering event.  However the fact is that Graves is an entirely separate autoimmune disease where the immune system starts attacking the thyroid thinking it's a foreign invader.

I have gone through  RAIU, TSH, T3 and T4 testing and a year of antithyroid treatement as a result of positively testing for elevated antibodies.  To suggest as you do that "I would be more inclined to think that withdrawal mimics Graves and that is why some doctors will make such a diagnosis." is not accurate, is a little naive and dismissive and I would suggest that you do some research before making such a statement.

WWWI

Hi Oscar . I have thought about this question carefully. I believe I was a  hypochondriac when I was in tolerance. This was when I had no idea what was wrong with myself. I hadn't heard of benzo w/ds. I was unaware that my life was going to become so much more miserable.

In tolerance I was an absolute mess! Convinced I had MS , lupus and all sorts of other illnesses. It wasn't till I started tapering and started documenting my s/s that I could see clearly that it was all benzo related. That was when I came to be in acceptance. I stopped my hunt for answers. I accepted that what was wrong with me was entirely caused through benzos.

No more hypochondria! 

Hi Oscar . I have thought about this question carefully. I believe I was a  hypochondriac when I was in tolerance. This was when I had no idea what was wrong with myself. I hadn't heard of benzo w/ds. I was unaware that my life was going to become so much more miserable.

In tolerance I was an absolute mess! Convinced I had MS , lupus and all sorts of other illnesses. It wasn't till I started tapering and started documenting my s/s that I could see clearly that it was all benzo related. That was when I came to be in acceptance. I stopped my hunt for answers. I accepted that what was wrong with me was entirely caused through benzos.

No more hypochondria!

:thumbsup: