Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Thank you Helen! Yup, just gotta ride it out ... and a true friend does not come in an Rx bottle, lol!

Jerry, sounds like it's really affecting you but hope it will even out, and help you, once you're adjusted!

Just checking in to say hi.

KB

I wouldn't be surprised if your former Ativan use is why your body developed dependence so quickly, you're smart to recognize the signs and take steps to get free sooner rather than later.

I like your taper plan, but of course if you run into problems you can slow it down.  :thumbsup:

I’ve on day 4 of first leg of taper from becoming physical dependent after only two weeks at 10 mg of zolpien per day. This first leg is at 5 mg (planned for 7 days) and I have been noticing a lot of intra day withdrawal symptoms, including agitation, anxiety and mood swings. Nothing too severe, especially since I know what they are, but uncomfortable and annoying nonetheless.

When I tapered off ativan 5 years ago, I split my daily dose into three equal parts to ease intraday symptoms. i don’t think I should do that with ambien as it hits so hard so fast I might end up in a sedated state all day, but not enough of one to sleep at night. I guess only solution is to stay at 5 mg nightly until the w/d side effects are more manageable, and then make my next cut. Luckily I still have my Gemini 20 scale from my ativan tapering days.

Any thoughts or am I on a reasonable path? Thank God I retired early this year so I don’t have pressure of work.

I wouldn't be surprised if your former Ativan use is why your body developed dependence so quickly, you're smart to recognize the signs and take steps to get free sooner rather than later.

I like your taper plan, but of course if you run into problems you can slow it down.  :thumbsup:

I’ve on day 4 of first leg of taper from becoming physical dependent after only two weeks at 10 mg of zolpien per day. This first leg is at 5 mg (planned for 7 days) and I have been noticing a lot of intra day withdrawal symptoms, including agitation, anxiety and mood swings. Nothing too severe, especially since I know what they are, but uncomfortable and annoying nonetheless.

When I tapered off ativan 5 years ago, I split my daily dose into three equal parts to ease intraday symptoms. i don’t think I should do that with ambien as it hits so hard so fast I might end up in a sedated state all day, but not enough of one to sleep at night. I guess only solution is to stay at 5 mg nightly until the w/d side effects are more manageable, and then make my next cut. Luckily I still have my Gemini 20 scale from my ativan tapering days.

Any thoughts or am I on a reasonable path? Thank God I retired early this year so I don’t have pressure of work.

Zolpidem is tricky, you may get some relief if you try to divide it but that may create holes in your memory because it's a hypnotic and if you have to function and drive it could be dangerous. 

I know the interdose is miserable, I suffered with it when I was taking it but to me it makes sense to save what you have so you can get some sleep, that will help your quality of life during the day.

As far as the speed of your taper, many have reduced by 10% and found that rate tolerable but your use was so short, I hate to see you take too long.  Just pay attention to your symptoms and if they become unmanageable, make adjustments.

I quit both Klonopin and Ambien cold turkey and the Ambien was much, much easier for me, I'm not advocating just passing along my experience.  :)

Hugs Team Z! I’ve been missing y’all. My absence is due to waves kicking me. I’m always thinking of y’all. Huge welcome to the newbies. I wish you well in your tapering. I know you can do it. Keep a mental bat handy to knock any doubt away. Your symptoms as stated are definitely tolerance. Your bodies are telling you to get off your Z drug. Be wise and listen! It may not be easy to handle but it’s doable and for your well being. Take one hour at a time. Any time after you take a dose and you feel better that’s clearly tolerance. The plan with the fast drop down is fine in my opinion as Pam stated that you wasn’t on it long. Don’t expect to be comfortable for awhile especially if you have other medications in your system. Sounds like you both are ready. That’s awesome!!!!

Best wishes to you!

Kachina you’re doing well and I know you have your rough times. I like your attitude and the way you incorporate self help. Keep focused on that. You’re awesome girl!!!

Pam as always you’re a beacon of light to many of us. We appreciate your dedication to being a support! Super hugs to you!

Jerry I wish you a more comfortable day and all you can do is your best. Keep the faith and stay the course. And keep playing that sax!

Deanna I hope you’re ok. I’m concerned about you dear friend. May your absence be because your better and enjoying each day. If it’s because of a shift in your symptoms please know I’m thinking of you.

John, Helen, Twd and whoever I missed I’m sending healing vibes your way.

Tomorrow I’ll be 15 months! Woohooo come on healing let’s be done!!!

Ha LadyDen, congratulations with your 15 month off celebration. Very good! You are a super woman!  :oXo:

I am in a very rough period, changing clozapine brand is hard. I already mentioned it before. In Dutch we say “ I am walking on my teeth meat!” My father was here this evening and together we watched the Dutch football league and a program with classical music. I made french fries for us. After he was gone, I tried to play some sax, but it was not the right day for it. I am jealous on my cat who is sleeping a lot, and is not bothered by anything. Huggs for all the Z-team members…luck with your tapers too!  :thumbsup:

Hi All, happy Monday! Congrats Lady D on 15 months. Sorry you’re still suffering after all this time, no fair. No fair for any of us. Well I’m working on week four of my jump. So far so good. Still have physical symptoms such as burning feet, fingers, and mouth, but the mental stuff and anxiety are mostly gone. Wow! I can endure the physical things now that I have my head back. Sleep continues to be a mixed bag but it was when I was on the meds as well. Back to work in two weeks and I think I’ll be ready. Thinking about you all. Keep on keeping on.

kc1952!! You sound confident and it's great you're getting off soon ... I mean soon after starting! I, too, was off work when I tapered, that's a gift. Happy Retirement to you!

LadyDen, great to see you here chiming in and cheering everyone on!!!! Let the love back in as we cheer you on! 15 months is a BEAUTIFUL thing. Awesome!

Jerry, very nice to have you back! Funny Dutch saying about the teeth! Sounds like you had a good night with your Dad.

Hey Pamster!! Nice to see you here as always.

John, woo hoo!! Great, good, wonderful--- you had some very rough mental symptoms and what a beautiful thing to see they're gone with the ambien being stopped.

Yes, Deanna, hope you're well ... hope you're not in waves with LadyDen as you two finish your 5th quarter OFF!

September 24 is one year since I took that teeny tiny slice of ambien off and took 9.50mg ... NEVER TO TAKE 10 AGAIN!!!! Looking back I see I stayed for 3 weeks I was so nervous about going down! Wow, so much has changed. I've started a whole new career for one. Been feeling a bit of stress and Fall S.A.D. and wishing I could sleep longer nights ... poor me! But, thankful for my phone and podcasts to listen to in my bed and for falling back asleep sometimes too. Grateful for my life and for the HORRIBLE symptoms I NO LONGER HAVE. Who knew? I did not. I did not know that all of that horrific crazy confusing mysterious pain I had was the ambien and would leave by about when I got down to 2mg.

Cheering You On Friends, thanks for being here!

Kachina

Hi All!  It's good to check in with y'all!!

John, a big CONGRATS to you! You've done so well!  I couldn't be happier for you that you'll get back to work and hopefully live happily ever after.  I believe work can be nicely distracting and if you aren't bothered too much by your physical stuff then you'll be golden.  Of course work can be stressful, and stress is THE enemy, so if you find yourself with returning symptoms just take it easy and know it will eventually reced again as you get used to your new daily routine.

My dear LadyDen - THANK YOU for thinking about me.  I've been doing mostly better indeed, and just like GardenG after a nice period I'm feel my normal wavey stuff again - so just doing what I know I need to do and ride it out till the next baseline!  15 months for you! WOOHOO!  Closer each day to the end of this nightmare.

Jerry! Welcome back!!  Sorry you are struggling but so glad you are back to joining us  :smitten:  Are you thinking of continuing your taper again?

Kachina - I'm just like you with the lowered mood around this time of year.  I have a lightbox and started using it on Sept 1st!  Usually I up my dose of Vit D, but can't take supplements yet so I make it my business to sit in the sun 15 minutes a day no matter what.  I follow the afternoon sun with my chair and sometimes am sitting in my asphalt driveway.  Neighbors must thing I'm nuts, but whatever.  Stay away from the depressing stuff and watch some comedies!!!

Helen and KC, I hope you are making it through....I've missed everyone  :smitten:

Hi All!  It's good to check in with y'all!!

John, a big CONGRATS to you! You've done so well!  I couldn't be happier for you that you'll get back to work and hopefully live happily ever after.  I believe work can be nicely distracting and if you aren't bothered too much by your physical stuff then you'll be golden.  Of course work can be stressful, and stress is THE enemy, so if you find yourself with returning symptoms just take it easy and know it will eventually reced again as you get used to your new daily routine.

My dear LadyDen - THANK YOU for thinking about me.  I've been doing mostly better indeed, and just like GardenG after a nice period I'm feel my normal wavey stuff again - so just doing what I know I need to do and ride it out till the next baseline!  15 months for you! WOOHOO!  Closer each day to the end of this nightmare.

Jerry! Welcome back!!  Sorry you are struggling but so glad you are back to joining us  :smitten:  Are you thinking of continuing your taper again?

Kachina - I'm just like you with the lowered mood around this time of year.  I have a lightbox and started using it on Sept 1st!  Usually I up my dose of Vit D, but can't take supplements yet so I make it my business to sit in the sun 15 minutes a day no matter what.  I follow the afternoon sun with my chair and sometimes am sitting in my asphalt driveway.  Neighbors must thing I'm nuts, but whatever.  Stay away from the depressing stuff and watch some comedies!!!

Helen and KC, I hope you are making it through....I've missed everyone  :smitten:

Deanna, I like your "chasing the sun" plan! I love to get some rays on my skin just for the uptick in feel good moments.  That's a cute image of you out in your driveway. 

I'm having a rough go of it. Debiltating migraine, stiff muscles, weird and uncooridnated walking issues.  I seem to go in and out of that sort of thing. Hoping tomorrow I pop "out" of it again.  I know I'm on the path to recovery. It's just a long and crooked path.

Take good care,

Helen

Zolpidem is tricky, you may get some relief if you try to divide it but that may create holes in your memory because it's a hypnotic and if you have to function and drive it could be dangerous. 

I know the interdose is miserable, I suffered with it when I was taking it but to me it makes sense to save what you have so you can get some sleep, that will help your quality of life during the day.

As far as the speed of your taper, many have reduced by 10% and found that rate tolerable but your use was so short, I hate to see you take too long.  Just pay attention to your symptoms and if they become unmanageable, make adjustments.

I quit both Klonopin and Ambien cold turkey and the Ambien was much, much easier for me, I'm not advocating just passing along my experience.  :)

My tapering has been going well. Tapered down to 5 mg for 5 days, then to 2.5 mg and held at that for 6 days. Generally feel fine on first day of lower dose, then have symptoms on day 2 and 3, and symptoms begin to subside on day 4-5. This time on first day at 1.25 mg (after 6 days at 2.5 mg) I’m really feeling the anxiety. I’ll just deal with it, do some deep breathing and use the benzo/Z drug refrain…it’s all brain chemistry…oh well!

My tapering has been going well. Tapered down to 5 mg for 5 days, then to 2.5 mg and held at that for 6 days. Generally feel fine on first day of lower dose, then have symptoms on day 2 and 3, and symptoms begin to subside on day 4-5. This time on first day at 1.25 mg (after 6 days at 2.5 mg) I’m really feeling the anxiety. I’ll just deal with it, do some deep breathing and use the benzo/Z drug refrain…it’s all brain chemistry…oh well!

Funny thing..as anxious and spacey as I feel, my bp and pulse are quite normal at 122/78 and 60. It really is all in my head. I should just go about my day and not obsess…easier said than done.

Good to hear from you all. Thanks a lot John for the cheer! Yes, we'll take each day as it comes best we can. Love reading that your mind is good and you can deal with the other symptoms. My mind isn't that good, haha!! I truly do get upset and "poor me" when I have the short nights, SOMETIMES. But I work on that attitude and making my awake time just right even if it's at odd hours.

I, too, think of our group often and you provide a strength ... and a comfort. I am not alone in this struggle and could not have done it without you~~  :smitten::thumbsup::smitten:

Deanna, yes, I like the image of your neighbors watching you as you move your chair with the sun in the driveway. Now the morning walks are before my husband goes to work and the sun isn't shining on us. Booooo Hooooo, must do the chair dance at home! And get my light out. How do you use your Lightbox?

KC glad you're doing well, congrats on your taper!!!

LadyDen and Deanna, hoping the Fall brings a huge jump in healing for you and windows that don't close.

Becks, thinking of you! And the others who aren't posting much. :smitten:

Jerry, yes, totally jealous of the pets and my husband, all of whom can sleep so easily whenever they want!

Helen, sorry you're struggling like that. Deanna told me about curable health, you can google it and see if it calls your name. It works on healing our brains and Nuero plasticity. I believe it helped me in my taper and I still use it. It's an app with a lot of resources and it's for chronic pain but I believe it's good for many symptoms, including anxiety and migraines. Nicole Sachs healed her migraines through it and has some good stuff to say on youtube.

Twbd1ila???? How's it going, are you still planning to take time off to jump? Are you going down at all in preparation? How's it going? How's work/sleep/symptoms?

Kachina,

Thank you for the reminder about Curable and Nichole Sachs. I appreciate the suggestions.

I hope you continue to hang in there. You're right. You're definitely not alone. 

Helen

Hey Team Z! Looks like everyone is trudging all as best as they can. Although we’re miserable in various ways we are still fighting and making improvements. We truly are surviving warriors. I love our group how we’re loving and supportive. I’ve read all your posts. Is it not amazing how all of us stay strong in this? Some have sleep issues, pains, depression, boatiness, exercise intolerance etc as their main issue but we endure day after day. In my opinion that’s to be commended. So many on here give up and go back on their meds. I’m grateful that I’m not one of those and my heart goes out to everyone.

Thanks all of you for wishing me congratulations on my 15 months. Woohooo I’m hoping I wake up one morning healed. I know I will but I’m hoping it’s real real soon. Like tomorrow would be great  :laugh:

Becks I’m here sweetie. I’ve been going through waves ( they’ve gotten better now) and my DIL and her baby ( my 5 month old granddaughter) has COVID. Plus I’ve got a few other things I’m dealing with. So far I’ve been able to not let the stress rev me up. How are you doing?

Kachina it’s marvelous how when we look back we really see how bad off we were. Makes you wonder how we didn’t know it sooner but that’s the severe deception of these meds. They mask themselves as the culprit of most of our illnesses. What a blessing to be off that poison! You’re doing fine being off as I knew you would.Keep pressing forward giving yourself time to heal your sleep. I can’t wait until your one year milestone.

Deanna I just get up everyday see how I feel and go from there. I make a plan accordingly. Also I try to do at least one thing fun while out of bed. Lately I’ve been painting . Sitting on my patio listening to the birds sipping decaf coffee or watch Netflix ( Reign) while out there. My daughter comes out there too and we laugh and watch silly tik tok videos. I’ve been teaching her how to draw. I just refuse to keep laying all day in this bed while life pass me by. When I’m feeling half way decent I’m up finding something to do. In this recovery every little thing counts.

Everyone else Jerry Helen John Sammy TWD KC you all are brave warriors! I’m wondering which seasons of the year doo you like best and why? What are some of everyone’s funniest moments growing up or as an adult?  Name a place you’d like to visit and why?

I’ll start with me. When I was a kid my grandma use to make tea cakes. She would leave them on the kitchen table overnight.. Normally I’m a very still and quiet sleeper but when I knew she made those tea cakes I’d be so restless and plan to go sneak one when she goes to sleep. But she would put an extra heavy quilt on me and I couldn’t lift it to get out of bed.  :laugh: I’d wear myself out trying half the night. I think she knew that because it’s mighty funny I don’t get an extra heavy quilt when all the tea cakes are gone.

A place I’d like to visit is Paris because being from Louisiana everything is French inspired seeing it’s purchased from the French. There’s Native American,  English and African influences as well. But I’d like to see the difference in their cuisine, culture, etc and how much we’ve changed it in America.

Americans have changed other cultures originality especially in foods. For example our Chinese food is way different than eating in China. This is also true with Mexican food and various others.

Just wondered if anyone on here ever temporarily tried reinstating zopiclone? Just so had enough of this after 32 months of it. Mental symptoms have' not  been consistantly severe whole time. Got worse for me personally after taking SSRI's. Even thought I know they  help other people. But after family stress this year gone several steps backwards. Have got few left and you can get them on line in UK. Don't won!t be hooked on meds again, but so tired not improving and living like this I know there are no guarantees.

If it is extended release and you are using a prescriber, ask for the same dose in regular form and then dry cut with pill cut.  If you want to micro taper instead, I'd use a jeweler's scale - $30.00 or so from amazon (with a little bowl that comes with).

If you are confused about how to zero out the scale and scrape off % every week -- write SG57 on here -- he was a great help to me.  Tell him wannabebetter sent you and thanks him.  There are a couple of other people on here that are really helpful with tapers.  Or just post a request and start your own thread on it.

wbb

Ladyden, sorry to hear about your DIL and her baby.  How are they doing?

They’re feeling better today. Thanks Becks. It was very scary seeing a 5 month old being sick.

Sorry Leann I can’t advise you on going back on a Zdrug. But IMO I would avoid it because it won’t be long before you’ll have to come off it again. That will make things much worse! Kindling. I hope you can continue to just push through. It will improve eventually. You taking SSRI may be contributing to some of your misery as well. I wish you the best in feeling better. Hugs!

SuperJess I’m sorry but I don’t have any experience in zoplicone at all. I’ve taken zolpidem ( ambien) and dry tapered those. Shayna was taking zoplicone maybe you can pm her to ask. She’s rarely on this thread anymore since she finished her taper. But she checks her messages every so often. I wish you the best. I agree with Wanna that it does make a difference if you’re taking extended release. I had to switch to regular then taper after my body adjusted.

Hugs to Team Z! Seems like everyone is busy or feeling rough or better. Which is why we’re absent days at a time. I’m doing fine most of the week with a big wave once a week. Today was my big one. I’m still having waves in varying degrees but most of them are about 4 to 5 on a 0 to 10 scale. Which I’m grateful for! I have windows in between. I’m on month 15. Hoping that very soon I’ll be completely healed. I am getting a new symptom pop in very briefly sometimes or an old one pop in when I’m in a wave. But it’s mild and short visits. Today was a burning sensation in my eye as if I had a heating pad on it. Weird! Just one eye! Weird! Lol

Anyway I hope you all are doing ok and enjoying something fun each day. I’m thinking of you. How’s it going?

Hi Z people, tough times for me too. I think it is still related to a brand change of my clozapine medication. It is not really a wave, because it is tough each day. Huggs… Jerry