Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Thanks Katz. Your sharing of your experience really does help. I'm actually sleeping ok, taking Melatonin at night and Thealine during the day. My anxiety is basically all day which is something I've not experienced since my teenage years. Did you experience that as well?

I did, Gw. It was a nasty cold turkey from that drug. Nighttime sweating and terror -- daytime dizziness and anxiety. My snail-like taper was much, much better.

Hope things turn out okay soon for you.

Katz

Was taking u-dream-supposedly an herbal out of Canada but was discovered with a molecular substance similar to zopiclone. I’m having terrible leg & body burning/tingling and dizziness. Don’t know if it’s from the zopiclone WD2 weeks ago (but I tapered for a few months)or the 1 year of klonopin. Have been having the leg/etc burning for months too. Not every day but when I get it-it’s horribly disabling. Thoughts?

As you can see from this thread -- some of these withdrawal symptoms last a long time, or abate then return or just lessen over time.  I wouldn't play with any herbal remedy while getting off zopiclone/ambien or any of the zz drugs even though you probably have insomnia or anxiety.  I know its hard but it gets better.  Hang in there.  WBB

• 2 weeks later...

A small update from my zopiclone taper; I am still taking a small bit from my half tablet, I am not feeling good, but it could be much worse. I will continue on a slow road because my mother has cancer en has become blind too. It is important for me to see her every day. The swimming pool is open here (thanks to more relaxed Corona rules) so I go swimming a lot. Kind regards,

Jeroen

I'm very sorry to hear about your Mom's health, but applaud your devotion to her while not feeling well yourself.  I'm glad to hear you've been able to swim again, I'm sure that has to help your state of mind.  Keep up the good work, you'll be free someday soon.  :thumbsup:

Has anyone heard of severe withdrawal after a two-week course of Ambien CR? Basically, I used Ativan nightly for roughly two years but eventually tapered off with only minor issues. After one to two months I started taking it again occasionally, roughly 35 1MG tabs over a 190 period. I had no issues taking it and would go a week or more without taking one. I decided I wanted to stop it forever but foolishly thought I needed something for sleep (sleep is the only reason I ever took the Ativan) as I was getting broken sleep at night. In insight it wasn't really that bad.

I took Zolpidem CR 12.5 MG for two weeks and on day 15 I decided to stop and suffered a MAJOR panic attack. I took Ativan around four nights thereafter but it didn't help. I am now 13 days without Zolpidem and I am messed up bad. Major anxiety, obsessively thinking about the whole situation, no appetite, no libido, brain fog....I was NOT this way just 20 days ago. I was happy, healthy and perfectly fine other than minor sleep issues.

I feel this is from the Zolpidem, it's almost like it is still working or something. Hard to explain. Is it possible to develop withdrawal at this level after just 14 days? I just cannot wrap my brain around this. The difference before and after this drug is truly unreal.

Also, can someone explain Acute withdrawal and kindling? Someone in another thread mentioned those terms but I am unfamiliar with them. Any insight is much appreciated.

I had similar experience with zolpidem ambien, I took 5mg zolpidem for 3 nights, they only put me to sleep for 2 hours and then restless and sleepless for the rest of night. One of the night I took 3 tiny doses so that when I wake up in 2 hours, I take another tiny dose, and wake up then again.By the third night, I started having severe agitation, anxiety, insomnia, and panic attack, went to hospital and they gave me clonazepam, I took Clonazepam for 4 days and six days after last dose of clonazepam agitation and anxiety came back. It might just be the zolpidem caused anxiety insomnia persisted for two weeks?

Kelvinbz, I share your confusion. In my case, the only thing I can figure is that the Lorazepam I took for a couple of years changed my brain chemistry and the Zolpidem was the breaking point. I hadn't taken Lorazepam daily in 6 months or more prior to the Zolpidem so I just can't see how I'm withdrawing from it. Over a 190 period I used a total of 35 Lorazepam tabs and 3 of them were after the Zolpidem in desperation.

I'm 21 days since I last used either and I've seen slow and small improvements but I'm definitely "well" yet. I do think that I will improve as time goes on but it SUCKS. One thing is for sure, I will NEVER take another benzo or Z drug in my lifetime!

How are your symptoms now?

Kelvinbz, I share your confusion. In my case, the only thing I can figure is that the Lorazepam I took for a couple of years changed my brain chemistry and the Zolpidem was the breaking point. I hadn't taken Lorazepam daily in 6 months or more prior to the Zolpidem so I just can't see how I'm withdrawing from it. Over a 190 period I used a total of 35 Lorazepam tabs and 3 of them were after the Zolpidem in desperation.

I'm 21 days since I last used either and I've seen slow and small improvements but I'm definitely "well" yet. I do think that I will improve as time goes on but it SUCKS. One thing is for sure, I will NEVER take another benzo or Z drug in my lifetime!

How are your symptoms now?

I just couldn't sleep at all after Ambien panic attack, and when I stopped 4 day clonazepam 0.5mg that anxiety returns in a week, so now I reinstated 0.375mg clonazepam and anxiety, insomnia are gone, planning to slowly wean it down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pamster,

I am still on the same amount of zopiclon. I doing a hold because of my sick mother who is in a hospice now. We don t know how long she has to live. Yesterday was special because we went with her to the beach, with a special ambulance. Even though she is blind, she enjoyed it.

Jerry

Hello Pamster,

I am still on the same amount of zopiclon. I doing a hold because of my sick mother who is in a hospice now. We don t know how long she has to live. Yesterday was special because we went with her to the beach, with a special ambulance. Even though she is blind, she enjoyed it.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

You're wise to hold, you have much more important matters to attend to like the lovely day you had with your mother.  I'm so glad you were able spend that time with her, and even though she can't see I can just imagine how the ocean breeze felt on her skin and how the fragrance of the ocean enveloped and comforted her.  Combine that with being surrounded by her loving family, I can only think she must have been truly happy at that moment. 

Pamster

• 4 weeks later...

Below is the VERY long story in case you think you can be a friend or want to know how exactly I get involved with Ambien. Also, I would love advice or knowledge on what could have caused the severe 24/7 stomach pain.

I have taken Ambien for many years, but usually a month or two at a time. I never had more than a day or two getting over the insomnia from using it. I never abused Ambien either. However, for the past two years, I have gotten some terrible chronic stomach pains that begin after a week or two of depersonalization. The second time it happened, I knew that mood enhancer were responsible or this attack that would start with depersonalization/derealization then lead into a panic attack that would result in a three month long stomach pain. The symptoms from both times all matched up, and the stomach pain was a gnawing, stabbing pain that lasted ALL day and ALL night. I noticed that I would get very depressed, anxious, and have depersonalization and derealization. Usually the stomach pain would last three to four months, and I noticed that taking an Ambien to sleep would get rid of the pain all together and allow me two to three hours of sleep. The second attack that happened in August 2019, showed me the Ambien would stop this weird inner restless feeling that I had all day. It was very scary and would feel like my head was not attached to the rest of my body; I felt out of sorts.  I would only use the Ambien about the first month of pain and then just deal with it until the pain went away, so both times, which were a year and a half apart, the stomach pain and depression would last about three months and then just disappear. Following the second stomach attack, which I believed was caused by the combination birth control (I have PCOS), I healed from stomach pain in about three months, but I had this persisting anxiety with panic attacks. Before getting sick, I never experienced panic attacks. I am a timid person, but I would not say anxious. I have been depressed most of my life, but I would call myself functional: I am a full-time teacher of History and Reading and am getting my PhD in Adult Education. Throughout my degrees, I developed a severe addiction to energy shots like Redline. I believe that the drugs in conjunction with the shots is what possibly triggered the attacks due to stimulation and the vitamins and supplements found in energy shots. Redline has 5 HTP, so I thought maybe I had Serotonin Syndrome because I was taking Magnesium, St. John’s Worth, and a couple of other nootropics while still ingesting Redline the first time I got sick two years ago. After this second attack, I finally decided to get help and seek a therapist for my anxiety. I originally wanted to just do therapy with no medication as I have had really bad experiences with medication. When I was in my early 20s, a PCP gave me Adderall, Xanax, and Zoloft all at once to take. I don’t remember any of the dosages, but the Xanax was blue and not peach colored. I became an emotionless zombie with no appetite and I would go into deep sleeps for days. I also had that feeling I described earlier of feeling out of sorts in my own body. The feeling was so uncomfortable and unbearable. I prayed for help. After stopping all meds and being told by my PCP that I was being noncompliant, I felt better after about three weeks. Although, looking back, I realize that after that ordeal, I was apathetic and became a home body. I believed--and still do--that with therapy I could ease my anxiety and learn ways to cope. My therapist urged me to speak to a psychologist, so after being pressured, I finally made an appointment with the psychologist.  I should mention that this happened maybe a month after the second attack. He seemed--and is--so nice that although I was weary, I trusted him. He said that he believed antidepressants did not work for me because I was bi-polar and that an anti-psychotic would help. He prescribed Lamotrigine and about the third month in, we added Busporine. About a week on Busporine, I started to feel tingling on my legs and arms, accompanied by brain fog and really bad bloating. A couple of days later, the stomach pain started. I freaked out that I stopped the Lamotrigine and Busporine all in the same day. I called the psychologist and told him that the last time this happened, Ambien helped for the nighttime. So, I begin to take 10 mg Ambien at night. About three days into the stomach pain, I got akathesia, depersonalization, insomnia, wired-brain feeling, loss of appetite, and headaches. I am still not sure if what I experienced are those medical terms exactly, but they are the closest definitions of what I was experiencing. My inside felt out of sorts and it felt like I was trying to crawl to get out of my body. The world during these episodes looks as I I am looking through it from plexiglass. Nothing brings me joy, and although I can see that something should excite me or elite an emotion, I feel nothing. I thought I was going crazy. I called my psychologist again and he said that I was feeling so bad due to caffeine withdrawal. I doubted it at the time because caffeine could not have done all of that. Two to three weeks later, I was feeling better, but the stomach pain persisted so I continued taking the Ambien. Although the akathesia went away, I had the worst depression I had ever felt before. I would wake up around 3 or 4 in the morning just so sad that I was alive. I prayed for death each night. When I brought this up to my therapist, I was told that my disease was getting worse and that I needed to get back on drugs. I decided no. Around Christmas, the pain in my stomach was so bad and I would often run out of my Ambien quickly, leaving me with two weeks of no Ambien. Perhaps the excruciating pain was withdrawals? In February when the pain would not let up, I was put on Seroquel, but stopped taking that when I became tongue-tied. To try to get off the Ambien, I was prescribed Xanax, but warned to only use it at most once a week. However, I felt awful on Xanax. I would get that weird floaty feeling and feeling like I was out of sorts on the inside. I continued Ambien from December to March before realizing that I had a problem. Because it was such a good pain reliever, I got to where I would take up to 40 mg a day. I was getting the extra from my sister-in-law, paying upwards to 1,000 dollars. During all of this, the psychologist did not believe that the medications caused any of this. He and my therapist believed that I had a GI issue or that the energy shots caused damage to the lining of my stomach. I went to see a GI and after an ultrasound, endoscopy, and an MRI, no damage was done to my stomach except for gallstones. I did not—still do not--believe that gallstones were the cause of my pain because my gallbladder or back was not hurting. My pain was below my chest and often going down to the lower intestine. We still decided to get my gallbladder taken out to see if it helped. After getting my gallbladder out, the pain did not subside at all. I then began to get the worst migraines and nightmares I had ever experienced in my life which led to more Ambien. All I knew was that Ambien killed any pain and made me happier. I am guessing I was experiencing interdose withdrawal?  Around April I had my psychologist give me a script for every 16 days so that I could have two Ambien a day. He was aware of my tolerance but not my addiction. One time when I used up my bottle in three days, I lied and said I flushed it down the toilet so that I could get another bottle; it worked. By the time I went cold turkey off Ambien, I had been taking up to 100 mg a day. I was taking it for stomach pain, migraines, and overall sadness. I honestly was not taking it for the high. I noticed that without it, I would get anxious, have horrible migraines that I never felt before, and stomach pain. One time, I tried committing suicide by taking 100 mg, drinking, and cutting up my arm to deal with the depression and sadness. My arm four months later has still not healed completely! I did not fully understand withdrawal or addiction of this drug until my third attempt at cold turkey. My psychologist knows hardly anything about benzos and even stated that he never prescribes benzos because they are so addicting, so he did not have a tapering plan. I have been doing all of this on my own with help from the internet.

From my months of research, I believe that without a doubt the drugs caused my stomach pain. Knowing what withdrawals feel like, I know 100% that I was experiencing withdrawals from either Lamotrigine or Buspirone in the beginning. I believe that the stomach pain has lasted so long because of keeping the Ambien longer than I did the first two times I had attacks. I believe that my attacks are of the nervous system and not actual digestion issues. Either the drugs themselves make the nerves in my gut go haywire, or it is having a stimulant (energy drink) mixed with another CNS drug. I am not defending energy shots AT ALL, but I never experienced stomach pain when I was solely on them. I was able to figure out that the first time Magnesium and Nootropics are possibly to blame, and the second time was certain vitamins like B12 and Magnesium, or even the pill. When I would take B12 during my attacks, I thought I was having panic attacks, but now I think that it was cortisol surges. The migraines and nightmares were due to interdose withdrawals. Every time I would stop Ambien, I would get the worst stomach pain for two or three days and then the pain would become numb and bearable. As of right now, 8 months later, I have stomach issues, loss of appetite, and nausea, but the pain is not gnawing and eases up at night.

My symptoms of withdrawal throughout the 1 month and 15 days include:

Insomnia at first

Inability to nap or stay asleep late due to cortisol surges

Feeling like my head was going to roll of my body, so I had to stay in a laying position all day

Tremors

Nervous system literally went haywire; I could not type or sit up straight

SEVERE fatigue. I feel like I am going to pass out ALL day

Tired and strained eyes

Flu like symptoms

UTI pain

Caffeine sensitivity. I can have one cup of coffee in the morning. Anything after makes me have a panic attack

Brain Fog and pressure on my head

Numbness in hands and feet

Calves hurt

Bloated

Nausea

Appetite for sugar

Ate a lot at first and now I can either eat sensibly or have no appetite

Akathesia

Depression

Depersonalization

Derealization

Anxiety

Apathy for EVERYTHING

Inability to read or think at all

If I have my head hanging down to read or something, I get lightheaded and feel woozy

Sensitivity to light and sound

Loss of typing skills in the beginning

Short term memory is terrible!

Long term memory is better than great. I have memories of things that happened a long time ago. Things I did not think affected me at all.

Bitterness

Acne (probably because my hormones and chemistry are all over the place)

Hair thinning

Suicidal

Talking, raising my voice, or standing too long makes me feel like I will pass out

Cravings for Ambien, but they went away within three weeks. Now, I only crave Ambien to alleviate symptoms

Can’t eat turkey. May be due to the serotonin and melatonin found in turkey

Can’t eat almonds

Antacids help my stomach, but I try not to use them because they can lead to kidney stones

Lastly, the first couple of days of withdrawal, I would feel like I was disintegrating into the bed at night. I would get so weak that I thought I was fading away

I'm glad to hear you're Ambien free, it's a nasty drug, I didn't have all of those when I quit Ambien cold turkey, but I did when I quit Klonopin cold turkey.  I've read of many members who have suffered severe Ambien and Zopiclone withdrawals, it acts much the same way as benzo's.

We understand what you're going through, I do hope things ease up for you soon.

Hi Pamster,

My mother died a week ago. Last monday was the cremation. It was a kind of rollercoaster period. Many many visiters at mij fathers home. Many flowers too. And the cremation was beautiful. I did a speech and played on my saxophone. The hall was packed with a 100 people. My father and 4 others also did a speech. We had music, photo’s and some movies.

I wanted to sleep well, so I took some extra zopiclon, tiny bit extra. And now I am back at my previous level. Perhaps it is time to taper now. I think I will give it a try. How are you doing?

Jeroen

Hi Pamster,

My mother died a week ago. Last monday was the cremation. It was a kind of rollercoaster period. Many many visiters at mij fathers home. Many flowers too. And the cremation was beautiful. I did a speech and played on my saxophone. The hall was packed with a 100 people. My father and 4 others also did a speech. We had music, photo’s and some movies.

I wanted to sleep well, so I took some extra zopiclon, tiny bit extra. And now I am back at my previous level. Perhaps it is time to taper now. I think I will give it a try. How are you doing?

Jeroen

I'm so sorry for your loss but it sounds like you were able to give her a wonderful service, I'm always amazed when family members are able to stand up in front of a room full of people and speak.  It requires so much self control when emotions are raw, my hats off to you for being able to do this and to play the saxophone as well.  You took such good care of her and gave her so much of yourself and I know how difficult all of this has been while suffering with symptoms. 

I don't blame you a bit for taking the extra to sleep, extraordinary circumstances require us to be flexible.  I wouldn't be in a rush to taper since it's only been a week, you know how grief is, it comes in waves that can take us by surprise.  But if you feel ready to start then we're here to support you.

Oh, and I'm doing very well, life after benzo's and z drugs is wonderful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday evening I restarted tapering zopiclone. Already this evening I experience it as tougher than normal, even though I tapered very little. ....tomorrow I have an important meeting, so tonight I go back to normal and taper again tomorrow evening. Wooow this is not what I expected it to be...

Jerry

Yesterday evening I restarted tapering zopiclone. Already this evening I experience it as tougher than normal, even though I tapered very little. ....tomorrow I have an important meeting, so tonight I go back to normal and taper again tomorrow evening. Wooow this is not what I expected it to be...

Jerry

What are your symptoms, are you dealing with interdose?

Ha Pamster,

I feel more depressed than normal. Yesterday night, again I took less zopiclon, the evening before I took my regular dose. I think that is a good way to start.

Jeroen

Hello there,

I’m so glad to finally be here! Feels like I am amongst people that understand what’s happened to me for the first time. :)

I am currently weaning off zopiclone after hitting interdose withdrawal back in November 2018. I was having problems with anxiety leading up to this point, had never had any problem with it before but didn’t connect the dots. Then in November 2018 I was completely unable to sleep with out zopiclone. No naps, nothing. Drs immediately put me on lexapro because they said I had generalized anxiety. They also put me on mertazapine which again didn’t help with sleep. They tried me on 2 rohypnol a night (I know) and still only got a couple of hours 4 at most. Then they put me on amitriptiline, then dotheipine, then zyprexa. None made me sleep, still had to take sleepers. I weaned off all these on my own, gradually.

The lower I go in wd I feel less anxiety and depression, but every time I reduced I have crying spells about 3 days in to new dose, I know that’s normal. Feel like I’m never going to conquer this. I’m down

To 3.75mg zopiclone and using 1.5mg Valium to ease interdose. Any suggestions I would be so great full for. Most nights I’m only getting 3 hours sleep, but last night (night 6 of new dose) I got 4-5 hrs, so today I don’t feel so hopeless. I’m reducing by 1/8 tablet (7.5mg) per fortnight.  Thank you!

Welcome Shayna, I'm so glad you were able to figure out what the culprit for your troubles was, it's too bad you had so many other drugs thrown at you but your story isn't unique, well I haven't heard a Dr prescribe Rohypnol before.  :o

I'm glad you're getting some relief for the anxiety and depression but I can see your battle isn't over by a long shot.  Since you already have access to Valium, have you considered crossing over to it completely as suggested by Professor Ashton?  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s12

I am still on little bit less than 3,75mg zopiclone. It is going to be very hot here the coming days, so therefor I still wait with the next step. It is almost 4 weeks ago that my mother died. At the cremation I felt some sadness and I cried. But the last 4 weeks I felt nothing. I am emotionally flat for 18 years apart from some exceptions like the recent one. Shayna, success with your taper! Keep us up to date, I will do the same.

Jeroen

Hi light space and pamster

Light space I am so sorry to hear about ur mum x I really feel for u having to go through this during such an already difficult time.

I had a zero sleep night last night. I had such a good day yesterday after a 4-5 hr sleep night. Now it’s 3:45am and I am struggling again.

Lightspacer how much sleep are u getting? God if only I could get 4 hrs a night I could at least function.

I’m so glad to have support. I am trying a sleep meditation that I saw on insomnia board to try and calm myself. Sometimes I just want to jump now, since I’m suffering anyway.

Pamster I have read about Valium crossover. I am scared. I have a son with autism and a husband who is disabled from a stroke so I need to sleep. X

I'd keep going down but it is tempting to jump. Crossing over to valium isn't for everyone who is coming off a sleep drug since they are very different drugs.  The general consensus (which is not absolute) is to taper the sleep med first.  I have a very troubled teen at home, tooand I know how hard life is -- especially in a lock up. 

You will read all over the benzo forum how sleep eventually returns.  That was true for me -- off Ativan then Ambien then Lunesta.  If I don't drink alcohol or have too much caffeine -- I can get enough sleep most days.  You'll get there, too, and be glad that you did.

WBB

Shayna, I feel for you. I was in somewhat the same situation with my drugs.

I tapered off my 10 mgs of Ambien (zolpidem) by cutting a bit at a time. I got 5 mg pills and cut them into fourths. I reduced therefore by 1.25 mgs every 2 weeks. When I got to the last fourth, I cut it up, too, as best as I could. When it was done, I really didn't have wds from the drug. Maybe a few headaches and a bit of dizziness. It wasn't helping me sleep anyhow -- I found different non-drug sleep aids. I've posted about these dozens of time, but if you want to know what I did. you can PM me.

I opted to not roll my zolp into valium and add it to my valium taper. By then I had had quite enough of valium wds. It was really not a good drug for me (original drug was Ativan).

So . . . just letting you know my experience.

Hope you feel better.

:smitten:

Katz

God I am so greatful I found u all! I feel so much less alone. It’s such a lonely thing, sitting here in the darkness night after night while my family sleep. I can’t sleep at all without meds, not a wink so I can’t even nap during the day. Do you experience that oregonkatz or WBB? We’re u having same issues with sleep at the end of ur taper? Xx so glad ur both off now x congratulations  :) :)