Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Like Carol, I had terribled wdwls from Zopiclone after CTing from 4 years use.

The wdwl sx were identical to the wdwls I had from valium after I finally healed from the zopiclone so for me, it seems it was hitting the same receptors as a straight benzo.

Some BBs do seem to taper straight from zopiclone but it does have a short half life which can lead to interdose wdwls. Crossing to valium may make for a smoother taper if this is an option.

Best wishes.

[3b...]

Hello everyone,

Further to ihopes suggestion to cross and taper from Valium.... I believe she is right...... the medical protocol used here in Australia as Zdrugs do work on the same receptors.  [/size]I have had this discussion about Zdrugs and how they are tapered with an Alcohol and Other Drugs Dr.

[/size]

[/size]Towards :mybuddy:

At the bottom of this link you will find the equivalency chart for zopiclone and other z drugs and all the other benzod if you want to cross over  http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

Remember that these equivalencies are estimates only, because each of these is a unique drug with different properties. Secondly each person has a varying response to them.

I so wish that I would have done a cross over to a longer half life drug.

Probably would have been a lot less pain and disruption to my life.

I did briefly try some Valium after being off for 6 weeks.

It heightened the depression to extreme proportions. I decided to stick it out without anything.

I foolishly thought that it would be about 6 months to healed.

I have a strong will and thought, I could tough it out for that long :)

Haha! 2 years and still not healed although much better.

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Glad i found this group! I have been on ambien and trazodone since late November 2013, settled in on 3.75mg ambien and 300mg trazodone. Was hoping to taper off the ambien onto the trazodone. (I have taken trazodone before and had no trouble tapering when the time was right...although I was only on 50mg then.)  I need advice on the best way to get off this ambien. Unfortunately I probably wont be able to do much about it until May when I have 3 weeks off of work... I also have a week off the first of April. Should I try a slow taper up to then to lessen the drop? What should my plan be. I am miserable that I have to be on this stuff (insomnia with massive anxiety led me to it). Also any advice about how to deal with how bad my eyes look in the morning would be great... I am self conscious about how bad I look at work (the least of my worries, I know).

Hi kayden,

Generally speaking I believe a one month taper for z-drugs is good for most people. That being said I think you need to take into account your current list of symptoms, how long you've been on it, and the dose.

I filed my pills down a little bit more each night until I had only a sliver left. I then took ZzzQuil for one week to break the psychological dependency on zopiclone. I now only use melatonin and magnesium and for the most part am sleeping like a baby.

Sleep hygiene is also absolutely critical in this process.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hello All, I just wanted to let everyone here know my story about my short-term use of Zopiclone. It is a VERY dangerous drug that should be tapered if you are trying to come off. Unfortunately, I didn't find this site until after my ct. I started having severe interdose withdrawal within a WEEK! I had no idea what was happening to me or that it was the Zopiclone. I stayed on for another cpl of weeks until I figured it out and ct'ed. I was in such bad shape that I really didn't think I would make it. Zopiclone hit my receptors quickly and did unbelievable damage. I am still not healed after 2 years and I was only on for such a short time. I pray that my body eventually heals. Please be careful with Z drugs! They are just as dangerous if not more than benzos.

Hello All, I just wanted to let everyone here know my story about my short-term use of Zopiclone. It is a VERY dangerous drug that should be tapered if you are trying to come off. Unfortunately, I didn't find this site until after my ct. I started having severe interdose withdrawal within a WEEK! I had no idea what was happening to me or that it was the Zopiclone. I stayed on for another cpl of weeks until I figured it out and ct'ed. I was in such bad shape that I really didn't think I would make it. Zopiclone hit my receptors quickly and did unbelievable damage. I am still not healed after 2 years and I was only on for such a short time. I pray that my body eventually heals. Please be careful with Z drugs! They are just as dangerous if not more than benzos.

Redeyes

First of all I am sorry for your ordeal.

I agree with you. It seems that we all react differently to drugs.

I was able to take them sparingly for years but it eventually when my father was ill, i started taking them every night and then it happened to me. unrecognized  Interdose withdrawal.

My father had died at the same time so I got diagnosed as depressed and anxious and given ssri drugs

Every one of them just kept sending me through the roof because of my damaged nervous system.

Ended up taking a lot more zop and and lot of trazadone for 8 months more before I found out the truth.

I am over 2 years off and still not healed.

Carol

Can you please describe what kind of problems and symptoms you experienced with the zopiclone?  I had been taking ambien off and on since 2009 and trying to figure out if my current symptoms are due to the ambien.

Sorry to hear that you went through something similar Carol...I pray this year is our year for full healing. :)

Hennypenny... I initially started having severe panick attacks out of no-where and i was only getting 2-3 hrs of sleep a night and i would wake up with severe anxiety. I cold-turkeyed after 3 weeks and the doors of hell opened. I had about 50 sxs including electric shocks, vertigo, bladder incontinence, flashing lights in eyes, rashes, ibs, bloodshot and burning eyes, hair loss, tinnitus...just to name a few. Hope that helps.

Hello. .I am new to this forum. Have been looking for a year now on getting off Ambien (zolpidem). I have been taking 10 mg nightly for seven years. I am looking for the tapering method used by members here. Would someone explain the exact taper method they used and the length of time it takes. Please someone explain this to me in layman terms.

Hello. .I am new to this forum. Have been looking for a year now on getting off Ambien (zolpidem). I have been taking 10 mg nightly for seven years. I am looking for the tapering method used by members here. Would someone explain the exact taper method they used and the length of time it takes. Please someone explain this to me in layman terms.

Are you suffering interdose withdrawal like daytime anxiety or physical symptoms?

I would aim for a one month taper but see how it goes and slow it down if you need to. So try 7.5 for the first week.

Some things that helped me during the taper were magnesium, melatonin, and good sleep hygiene.

Are you suffering interdose withdrawal like daytime anxiety or physical symptoms?

I would aim for a one month taper but see how it goes and slow it down if you need to. So try 7.5 for the first week.

Some things that helped me during the taper were magnesium, melatonin, and good sleep hygiene.

I haven't started the weaning process yet.. I was looking for someone to assist me in their knowledge of how to go about doing this.  D not know how to measure 7.5mg from a solid 10mg of ambien..it's not ambien cr..it's generic ambien..Do you mean 3/4 of the ambien? I'm confused and scared...Thank you so much

Yes, 3/4 of a 10mg pill would be 7.5mg.

Do you have the round pink pills?  I use one of these pill cutters and it works great;

http://www.target.com/p/easy-care-tablet-cutter-with-safety-shield/-/A-11200382#prodSlot=medium_1_1

You can get them at Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc....

Raymond my pills are white ..but will check out the pill cutter..ty.what should I expect the withdrawals to be like? How long on 3/4 before I drop to a half? You have really come through for me..I was us feeling this site was no for ambien taper and I was in the wrong place...Thank you again...

Carleeta,

I haven't started my Ambien taper yet, so I can't comment on withdrawal symptoms, but I'm sure everybody is different.  Some will have an easier time, some will have it a little rougher.

As far as how long to hold at 3/4, I think WorriedDad gave some good advice.  Aim for a week, but hold for longer if symtoms are bad.  This is what I'm going to do once I start my taper.

I started feeling better when my taper started. I believe that is more common with short acting benzos and z-drugs as you are lessening the daily swings in dose. Hopefully you both will also feel better while getting off this poison.

Ok everyone who has been patient with my pushy questions all over this forum looking for help ASAP in getting off ambien...

Here I am getting ready to  start my 3/4 of 10 mg tonight..

Tonight will be the start..

Ok everyone who has been patient with my pushy questions all over this forum looking for help ASAP in getting off ambien...

Here I am getting ready to  start my 3/4 of 10 mg tonight..

Tonight will be the start..

Good luck! Please practice good sleep hygiene. It will improve your chances of success. Through this process always view things positively. Getting off this stuff is tough but very rewarding!

I'm sure this will be tough..Don't know if I can do it, although I'm going to give it a try..

All we can do is try and see what works..If I can't stand the withdrawals in a day or two I will go back up to the 10mgs.

Too scared to push my limits..

I'll keep listening to what my body is telling me.

I'll post tomorrow on tonight's outcome.

WorriedDad..After reading your reply on sleep hygene I feel I'm not ready for this 3/4 of 10 mg ambien cut.

Right now I have much stress in my life and expect more changes on the way from now til April.

Changed my mind to start this tonight. Will be seeing psychologist on Saturday and will discuss this issue with him. My psychiatrist isn't that helpful because he wants me to stay on it...

Will talk this over with phd first.

will keep everyone posted soon.

Even the manufacturer of this drug says 2-4 weeks max. Your pdoc is ignoring the people who actually stand to make money off this drug. That is irresponsible. You can tell him/her I said that.

WorriedDad. .I have been on ambien for about 9 years..The psychiatrist i had 9 years ago prescribed it for me. That psychiatrist retired a few years ago...This new psychiatrist is the one who wants me to continue it. I'm sure he doesn't know how to tell me how to get off...i told him I feel addicted to it and he says "that's ok if it works for you". I'm the one who wants off of it.....

will see what phd thinksk.....

I will keep you all posted...