Author Topic: Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)  (Read 227986 times)

[Buddie]

Ha Z people, I have a tough morning. This weekend I measured the oxygen in my blood because of possible apnea. Coming friday or monday I will hear the result. Today is swimming and saxlesson day. Hugs from me, [...]  :thumbsup:

P.s. I just got [...] from a very nice lesson about chords on my wonderful alto sax….the weather is humid here and warm…
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 03:09:35 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Way to go NorCal  :thumbsup:

Hugs Team Z! [...] to see you all posting. I love reading all of our happenings. You all are a super group and I’m so glad to have known you! Hope today will be a joyous less symptoms day.
🤗🤗🤗❤️🙏
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

My [...] DR and I are trying to sort out and taper away from Ambien CR
 after a prior psy dr's solutions of ambien/benzodiazepine

Ambien CR question (this seems to be yes?)
Is it common to have inter-dose withdrawal from Ambien CR 12.5 mg after
I had been taking it daily for 3-4 years ?

About 3 months ago I began to have anxiety / tremors / panic etc. - mostly in the afternoons
from posts and help here it appears tolerance / inter-dose withdrawal shows different effects

Lunesta question ( have not seen comments on this )
Has anyone had continued inter-dose symptoms after change of medication ?
Is it difficult to fall asleep with Lunesta 3 mg?

- we changed to this - i can sleep a few hours eventually but it does not act as fast as the ambien
- is there a transition time between Ambien and Lunesta with symptoms often?
    - I still have a lot of anxiety etc episodes in the day ?

My [...] doctor has changed
 - Ambien CR 12.5 mg to Lunesta 3mg/d
 - a short 5mg/d taper of diazepam going to 0 mg for 4-5 weeks to address the anxiety/tremor

After we stabilize on the Lunesta the plan is to taper that also.

I did not realize the issues from the z-meds
This thread and BB are very helpful
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:28:09 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

I fell asleep and slept a lot [...] taking Lunesta.  Ambien gave me a less deep sleep and the interdose symptoms were really bad.  Ambien gave me very bad anxiety the next day, while Lunesta didn't so much.  I liked Lunesta a lot [...] than Ambien, although I didn't take the CR.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:12:52 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

Lunesta question ( have not seen comments on this )
Has anyone had continued inter-dose symptoms after change of medication ?
Is it difficult to fall asleep with Lunesta 3 mg?

My [...] doctor has changed
 - Ambien CR 12.5 mg to Lunesta 3mg/d
 - a short 5mg/d taper of diazepam going to 0 mg for 4-5 weeks to address the anxiety/tremor

After we stabilize on the Lunesta the plan is to taper that also.

I did not realize the issues from the z-meds
This thread and BB are very helpful

Well, I can't say I understand what your doc is doing exactly.  Is he/she adding diazepam?  Why?

They seem to want to tinker with one Z drug for another.   This is really common with docs. I get that the Ambien is CR but you don't want to take regular Ambien and taper off that?  It's a bit like jumping from one frying pan to another frying pan going from ambien to luniest.

If you are already on some diazepam, I think you could stabilize -- if possible  -- on that alone and reduce 5% every 10 to 14 days and consider a liquid micro taper off  the diazepam.  Ask for help on here on BB about how to do this by starting a tapering question thread.

Lunesta is just another Z drug.  3mg is the maximum recommended dose.  I tapered off mine with a jeweler's scale.  But one dose a day is tough since it hits like a hammer and then you are in withdrawal. 

Personally, I would not start on 3mgs Lunesta from Ambien.  There will just more drug to get off of.  Maybe 2mgs or 2.5 and see how you feel. 

We are all insomniacs here - but you'll see that you will be able to sleep without the drug eventually.  Take as long as needed. 

Hang on you'll get there

[Buddie]

I echo Wannabe because I do not understand why your doctor is giving you “ let’s see how this does” medications that will only add another that you’ll have to taper. I said I don’t know why but I do…your doctor IMO does not know what he/she is doing. Lunesta has its own issues as well and so does Valium ( diazepam).
If I were you….I would not take the Valium if you’ve only had a few doses here and there. I wouldn’t take anymore. I wouldn’t take the lunesta either. I would ask for REGULAR Ambien 10mg…two 5mg tablets. Because those are easier to taper. Yes Ambien has interdose wd and tolerance wd but as you taper you still can get some sleep at night. If it were me that’s what I would do….to me it is the lesser evil that your brain is already used to. I would taper 1/2 to 1 mg every 14 days. It was pretty simple when I tapered. I measured the 1mg cut by drawing a model of the pill on paper. Then marked the paper where each 1mg would be so I knew where to cut my pill. I used a thin sharp knife or razor blade. When it got to where I couldn’t cut anymore, I used a fingernail file to shave it down. When I got down to a crumb I jumped. Did I have wd symptoms? Yes but they were bearable because I tapered slow yet steady. I also mentally prepared myself that I would have symptoms and be uncomfortable for awhile. That’s part of it and requires acceptance. I distracted myself by making a schedule for during the day to keep busy. I did not take naps. Sleep restriction worked well for me and still does. I started a sleep hygiene and sleep routine when I began tapering to retrain my brain to fall asleep. It still works for me to this day.  :thumbsup: 
Sometimes you will struggle to sleep, not get much sleep or maybe not sleep at all. It is temporary and a direct result of coming off the medication. Expect it. Accept it. Your brain as it heal will return back to [...] sleep. Many including me are now sleeping [...] than I’ve ever slept with NO medication at all and NO supplements either. Just a [...] bedtime routine, no naps in the day, morning sunlight and a comfy bed while playing soothing ocean waves at bedtime. Deep lovely restful sleep about 7 hours nearly every night  :thumbsup:  All naturally so. The brain knows how to restore/repair. We have to give it the time and not interrupt it to let it do that. The last thing you don’t want to do is polydrug IMO. It’s a terrible situation to have more than one drug that gives WD. I can’t tell you what to do…but if I were you, I’d think long and hard about letting that doctor try this or that. Your brain is already suffering enough….that’s why you have symptoms already.
Best wishes to you. Big hugs 🤗 You can do this! Stay positive and have a [...] doable plan.

[Buddie]

Doctors giving individuals "let's see how this goes" drugs is how a large majority of people get on this forum. Total recklessness and frankly, a lack of intelligence. (The doctors, not anyone here.)

[Buddie]

Doctors giving individuals "let's see how this goes" drugs is how a large majority of people get on this forum. Total recklessness and frankly, a lack of intelligence. (The doctors, not anyone here.)
That’s exactly my point…that’s why it’s called “ practicing” medicine. I have such a greater respect for medication and supplements now. If I’m not dying, I’m not taking anything. I mean it will have to be absolutely necessary. I’ll try natural approach.  :thumbsup:
Hope you have a [...] day of feeling [...] 🤗

[Buddie]

Hi Zzers, today I got the result of my apnea research, conclusion; I have no apnea. Of course that is [...] news, but then I have to accept my morning/noon grogginess. Perhaps that will leave when I tapered my zopiclone. But I have also other medication that can cause the grogginess. I stopped watching the Giro Italy cycling tour on tv, too much images from the sky, which triggers my height anxiety. Huggsss [...]  :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

Hey [...] that’s great news…no sleep apnea! Way to go! Yes as you taper you know symptoms fade away. Some leave immediately when you’re done with tapering. Sorry you couldn’t finish wat hung the show. I also can’t watch fast moving things. Take care 🤗