protracted withdrawal

[pa...]

Hi, I have been of benzo's now for  13 months and still have very bad side effects I quit sort of cold turkey ,not a full taper like others have done. does-any one think I should start over and reinstate and taper the right way or should I stay with out the benzos. right now I am suffering from very loud ringing in my ears, run down from lack of sleep,tight band around head,blurred vision. I am 76 years old and was put on benzos after discharged from the Army Post stress syndrome. Any help will be welcome. Thanks Pallo.... Pallo was my K-9 in the military 

Ah, pallo, thank you for your service and I'm sorry it came at the expense of having to go through benzo withdrawal.  How wonderful to have been a K-9 partner!

I don't see any information on the benzo you were taking…how long, how much did you take. Can you add that for me?

Here's how to do it.  Look for the orange button that says HOME.  To the right is the word Profile.  When you click it, you will see Forum Profile as a choice.  Click it.  Look for 'Signature' to type your benzo information in and click Change Profile and it saves the writing and adds it to each post you write on the forum.  Then everyone can see where you are in this process without asking.

13 months is not a long time when it comes to recovery from withdrawal. Cold turkey withdrawal is very difficult to go through and usually takes longer to recover from.  But you will improve as time passes.  It takes a long time for nerves to heal, but they do.

Challis  :)

There is a window for reinstatement but it's around two weeks.  Any longer than that and we run the risk of making things much worse than before.  13 months is a lot of healing time… 18 months is when someone can consider himself/herself in protracted withdrawal.

Are you finding that some of the symptoms are better now or even gone?

Thank you for the reply Challis I will input the Benzos that I have been on ,I have to think about them first and write them down . Have you known any one my age who had beat this mess after all these years on  Benzos ?

I've seen a lot of people in their 70s who've come here, kicked benzos, and moved on. I do NOT recommend reinstating. I did so after 3 months off benzos, back in December 2011, and when I jumped off c/t on May 26 of this year it just made things harder. If I hadn't reinstated for all of 2012, I'd now be looking at 27+ months off benzos, instead of closing in on 7 months.

There is no shortcut to healing -- you just have to wait this monster out. It'll come and go. Healing is not linear. So just hang in there and know that time will heal you.

Best wishes.

[08...]

Hello Pallo and congratulations on getting off these drugs. I was on benzos a very, very long time I'm not much younger than you and I'm also nearly 13 months off from a cold turkey. I've been through the withdrawal hell and I'm still a bit up and down at times but I'm so much better. I never believed I could heal, felt I had been damaged and my life was over but here I am making a good recovery and returning to being me.

Please try and hang on because reinstating could cause further problems. At month 9 I felt as you do but managed to get through and once that wave was over I started real recovery. You can turn that corner any time so please don't despair.

Hi, I have been of benzo's now for  13 months and still have very bad side effects I quit sort of cold turkey ,not a full taper like others have done. does-any one think I should start over and reinstate and taper the right way or should I stay with out the benzos. right now I am suffering from very loud ringing in my ears, run down from lack of sleep,tight band around head,blurred vision. I am 76 years old and was put on benzos after discharged from the Army Post stress syndrome. Any help will be welcome. Thanks Pallo.... Pallo was my K-9 in the military

Hi, I also did a fast taper, but I would never have considered reinstating.  I'd done that twice in the previous 13 years and it had led to several more years on Xanax in each case.  When you've been off for over a year, reinstatement isn't a good idea in my opinion.  But it's your decision, of course.

:thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply Challis I will input the Benzos that I have been on ,I have to think about them first and write them down . Have you known any one my age who had beat this mess after all these years on  Benzos ?

Actually, yes… Caddo1937 is around your age and I just checked his signature…he's 7 weeks off of a long taper after longterm use and doing well.  Nice guy…you can PM him if you want to.

Challis  :)

Thanks Tex 67 what are your symptoms now, I am going to take your advise and hang in there I am glad I posted and received your messages. Bob

If you have been off for 13 months and quit rapidly then the damage is done.  I personally would not advise reinstating any dose at any level at this late date unless there were unbearable symptoms, you are absolutely certain that they are withdrawal symptoms and not another health matter, and you see a doctor to determine that you are physically healthy, have normal blood work, and any other tests deemed necessary.

You will just have to wait it out.  My research shows the average length of time is 5-10 years with windows and waves that should decrease in severity over time.

Best wishes.

I don't know what research you have done that you came to the conclusion it takes 5-10 years....But, I came to the conclusion that everyone heals differently.

I don't know what research you have done that you came to the conclusion it takes 5-10 years....But, I came to the conclusion that everyone heals differently.

It is just an average.  Some people have no withdrawals and some people have protracted withdrawal for the rest of their lives.  So it is not a conclusion but an average based on research that it is 5-10 years.

It is just an average.  Some people have no withdrawals and some people have protracted withdrawal for the rest of their lives.  So it is not a conclusion but an average based on research that it is 5-10 years.

pallo,

i am 19 months away from the c/t and 15 months away from the last "rescue' benzo which did set me back quite a bit so that's why i count from those two dates. i took about 3 "rescue" dose's in the last 19 months and i will say they really did set me back.

i also think that everything you are experiencing is very normal for the time away from the cold turkey from benzo's. i was actually having some symptoms tonight that made me feel like i was back in acute withdrawal again but then it just passed.

rebel,

yeah, that is a scary kind of average. but i think it's probably true for some. i spoke with Una Corbett who is the co-ordinator

for BAT (battle against tranquillers) in the UK and whether or not this is the truth she said that she doesn't consider someone

"protracted" until over 5 years. i thought that was interesting.

but that is a scary average and i sure hope i can have some healing before 5 years ::) i sure hope we all can on this forum.

pallo,

i am 19 months away from the c/t and 15 months away from the last "rescue' benzo which did set me back quite a bit so that's why i count from those two dates. i took about 3 "rescue" dose's in the last 19 months and i will say they really did set me back.

i also think that everything you are experiencing is very normal for the time away from the cold turkey from benzo's. i was actually having some symptoms tonight that made me feel like i was back in acute withdrawal again but then it just passed.

rebel,

yeah, that is a scary kind of average. but i think it's probably true for some. i spoke with Una Corbett who is the co-ordinator

for BAT (battle against tranquillers) in the UK and whether or not this is the truth she said that she doesn't consider someone

but that is a scary average and i sure hope i can have some healing before 5 years ::) i sure hope we all can on this forum.

Hi Pretty-

I appreciate that you tried to validate this statement but, for me, this is probably the most disappointing (to put it mildly) news I could have read this morning. I'm almost 8 months off a fairly long taper and feeling like I will never regain my life again  :(. To me 5 years is just undoable. Sorry.

rosa

Don't worry, Rosa. 5-10 years is pure conjecture. I'm in my fourth month post-jump and there is a very slow but noticeable upward trend in my healing. It's just the non-linear nature of the beast that sometimes makes it hard to discern progress.

The length and severity of protracted withdrawal depends on which medication you were on, how long you were on the medications and how fast or slow you tapered off of them.  Everyone is an individual and will react differently.  Additionally there are many other variables in your life that can effect this.

For a very basic primer (scroll or click to "Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome#Protracted_withdrawal_syndrome

See my signature to see how I screwed this up and caused my protracted withdrawal.  I have been told that because of this I will NEVER stop having protracted withdrawal symptoms and that my brain is permanently damaged.  Personally I think this is somewhat misleading or perhaps just bullshit and the length of time and severity of protracted withdrawal is heavily influenced by your attitude and behavior.

Don't despair and don't focus on it.  What is done is done and the more you can focus on being positive, eating/drinking/exercising, CBT/DBT, meditation, and just maintaining a generally healthy lifestyle both physically and psychologically will produce dramatic positive results.  Take good care of yourself in every way, be aware that protracted withdrawal exists, don't over focus on it but also, don't get caught off guard if it hits you.

I am in protracted withdrawal, I know what to expect, I don't fight it, I just accept it for what it is and do the best I can to help myself in every way possible.

I support all of the people in protracted withdrawal and will do anything I can to help them.  Please feel free to contact me on this forum any time.  I am here for you and I totally understand.

Rosa, I agree, that was unnecessary, and there is no data to back that up. In fact, if you look at the success stories, most are written between 6 months-36 months, with most trending towards 12-18 months. Yu have a long ways to go until that 18 month mark, a lot can change during that time.

Take good care of yourself with a good diet, light exercise, low stress, and lots of rest, take it day by day, and you'll get through this before you know it.  :thumbsup:

I did PM and apologize to Rosa. :-[  Please read what I posted this morning.

My case is exceptional because I was on the drugs for over 20 years and quit them all in the space of three months.  This was two years ago.

I may take me 5 years, 10 years, or I could be like this for the rest of my life, but most other people have much better success as long as they did not do what I did.

Rebel, I don't think you will be like this the rest of your life. It might take you a bit longer, maybe 3-5 years, but I would count on feeling better  :mybuddy:

Thank you for your message, Rebel. It's just one of those low days when I am extremely sensitive :( I can see where your past history is a little complicated but you seem to be on top of it and I'm sure you will continue to improve.

gettingthere- I thank you for your post. Very encouraging and I needed that. I am doing everything I can to set the stage for my recovery. No meds at all, no alcohol. I eat a healthy diet and my sleep has improved. Unfortunately, my brain is back to its old tricks. I'm hoping it's just an 8th month slump. I don't see your current status in your sig. Am I just confused as usual??

:smitten: rosa

Rebel, I don't think you will be like this the rest of your life. It might take you a bit longer, maybe 3-5 years, but I would count on feeling better  :mybuddy:

Thank you.  I certainly hope so.

pallo,

rebel,

Hi Pretty-

I appreciate that you tried to validate this statement but, for me, this is probably the most disappointing (to put it mildly) news I could have read this morning. I'm almost 8 months off a fairly long taper and feeling like I will never regain my life again  :(. To me 5 years is just undoable. Sorry.

rosa

i said, that it could be the case for "some" people taking between 3-5 years agreeing with rebel. i also said that Una Corbett (whether this is true or not) doesn't think anyone should think of themselves "protracted" until after 5 years!

again, (whether this is true or not)--that should be good news to everyone!

i know i was extremely clear in my post as to not scare anyone.

please -re-read my original post to rebel. these are things i was saying that 'other' people have said, not necessairly the  truth or my truth! again, it should be good news to everyone on here--that there is someone out there who doesn't think

one is "protracted" until up to 5 years. that means you've got 5 years of healing before you should consider yourself protracted. to me, that's good news!

Protracted is just a word, Prettydaisys. If I'm still suffering benzo wd in 2018 I'll be too depressed to care what anyone wants to call it.

yes i understand that. i wasn't saying anything other that what another person thought. i still think it's good news that someone

doesn't think a person has "protracted" symptoms unless they still have symptoms after 5 years. because everyone seems to

think once they hit 18 months that they're protracted which may not necessarily be the case. (onviously, this person Una still

thinks a person is 'healing' during that time. that's all i was saying--and i just thought that interesting, that's about it :)