Breathing for anxiety....need help

[Ga...]

Hi BB's

I keep reading about how much proper breathing helps with anxiety through wd.  How long do you do it for...I mean the breathing from the diaphragm.  How many breaths? How deep?  How many times during the day?  My anxiety seems to be getting worse in this my 7 mo.  Benzo free.  I am so weary of it and all the what if thoughts and fears that come with it.  Thanks for the help, I' m feeling pretty hopeless.

:-\

Hi Galea-

I'm right there with you this morning. I'm into my 8th month and feeling very frustrated at the duration of these s/x.

As for the breathing, I can say it has been one of the few ways that I can lessen the panic/anxiety. I saw a therapist for a few sessions and he gave me some breathing exercises form " The Relaxation Response". (forget the author)

Here's one: Breathe in through pursed lips, to a count of '3'. Then hold for a count of '4'. then breathe out slowly to a count of '5'. All breathing is done using the diaphragm. It took me a while to get it down because sometimes I feel like I can't catch my breath but after practicing for awhile it did help to lessen the panic. I was supposed to practice it for 5 or 10 minutes 3 times a day but I just did it whenever I felt really bad, which was much for often ;)

Hope this is helpful.

Rosa

Hi,

Another coping device I used in addition to breathing was to let the anxiety be there and allow myself to float around it.  Tell yourself it can't hurt you and know that you can exist with it there. It will go away, with time.

pianogirl  :smitten:

I stop and take 5 or 10 nice calming breaths and refocus whenever anxiety is starting to build up. Some days maybe 20 times, other days probably 100 or more :D