Severe sleep disruption

[Ve...]

I am sitting here after waking up at 1 AM with heart racing.  I can't lay for long on the sides of my head or the back without severe crawling feeling and then heart racing.  Will see my doctor in 2hours.  I hope he will admit me because I can't go on without sleep much longer.  I am taking a beta blocker which slows things down a bit but it is impossible to sleep through these episodes.  Has anyone had the same?  Any meds that help?  Feeling rather desperate right now.  My last Ativan was October 1.  There has to be something that helps.  If you take sleep medicine in some form, is it dangerous to sleep through these things if you can? 

No, it's not dangerous to sleep through the heart racing stuff. I often have panic attacks in the middle of my sleep, take a few deep breaths and tell myself to calm down and go back to sleep.

Thanks for your note of encouragement.  Dr wants me to try Benadryl first and then a muscle relaxer to see if I can sleep thru these hideous episodes of ant crawling on my scalp and then adrenalin surges.  When do these crawling sensations fade out? I cannot wait for that to happen.  My scalp is full of hyper excitable nerve endings waiting to torment at any moment.

Yep. Benadryl is a good one to start with.  I've also taken Unisom with some success.  There are two types of Unisom: one containing doxylamine and one containing diphenhydramine.  I would try the doxylamine.  Diphenhydramine is what's in Benadryl. You can also find generic doxylamine and diphenhydramine.