Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Epidural Steroid Injection Question

[So...]

I need to have an epidural steroid injection for the pain in my neck and down my arm.  I have had them before but not since I stopped my Benzos.  Has anyone had an epidural steroid injection?  If so did it make your withdrawal worse?  I would appreciate it if someone can give me advice!

Hi there

I had a cortisone injection into the knee after first phase of taper. I had had the occasional one pre benzo taper, with no issues at all.

This one was a nightmare of revving and illness for 7 days.

Go to the medication board and you will see more posts on this topic

Viking xx

It was terrible!! It revved up my withdrawal symptoms and I was very sick.

I had had cortisone before benzos with out any issues at all.

So now I cannot have any more injections and just put up with the pain

Viking

I have had many injections throughout the years pre benzo, while on benzos and during recovery.

Due to cervical spine and lower back issues I have had epidurals as well as facet block injections.  Steroids are very strong medications and as T2 said we are all likely to react differently.  Even those who are not in withdrawal can have some fairly significant side effects.  Steroids do affect the central nervous system and the GABAA receptors.  Even prior to benzo use I would get facial flushing, the steroid rush (where I would clean my entire house, twice) and sweating and acne.  But they did relieve my pain and numbness and did allow me to postpone surgery as long as possible.

I did have injections in my shoulder while in withdrawal and had the same reaction I had pre benzo.  I do know others have really had a difficult time with them.  I think you have to weigh the risks and benefits before deciding to proceed. I wish I could give you a concrete answer about how the injection might affect you, but as we know about withdrawal, there is nothing concrete about it.

pianogirl

I've had a couple epidural spinal injections in the back of my neck, pre-benzo, and had no reaction at all.

Unfortunately, it did not help the pain either.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but wanted to say I got a 200mg depot injection all at once of kenalog 40 mid taper, it has been terrible. I got the injection in November 2014, ended my taper Feb 24, 2015. I had a heart attack in 2011 and another heart cath done in 2012. Don't know if the Kenalog has anything to do with it but since my taper I have been a complete mess, my heart has been just pounding and was very irregular. Started coming out of it in the past 30 days, 9 months after my taper ended.

Still getting some waves of anxiety but much less now. If I had it to do over again I never would have gotten that injection. I have read that a depot injection of Kenalog can have effects for months to years.

i had a terrible reacion to a steroid shot and personally would never do it but everyone's body is so different and mine is extra sensitive