Good news about ear ringing etc.

[No...]

I came back to update you all because I figured it's probably common for people to forget to come back with good news once they are feeling better. I can't find my original post, but I wrote in here for the first time in September because of persistent and maddening, loud tinnitus. I am happy to say that the ringing has nearly completely gone away by now (last dose of Xanex was early September).

I continue to take Lipoflavinoids, which are vitamins my ENT suggested that I take to try and combat the ringing. I don't know at this point whether it is mostly the withdrawal effects easing or whether the vitamins are a large contributor. I will continue taking the Lipoflavinoids for a few more months; though it's expensive, it's better than the ringing was.

In other respects I am doing much, much better. There are no more withdrawal symptoms. I feel more like myself/better than I have in a couple years. I have some moments of sadness because I can see that I have a lot of rebuilding to do (I need to find a job and it's not just a new job but a whole career shift). Nevertheless, even having the energy to be sad and think about finding a job and working is progress. Most days, I'm in a good place, and my husband is so happy to see me feeling good.

It does get better.

I came back to update you all because I figured it's probably common for people to forget to come back with good news once they are feeling better. I can't find my original post, but I wrote in here for the first time in September because of persistent and maddening, loud tinnitus. I am happy to say that the ringing has nearly completely gone away by now (last dose of Xanex was early September).

I continue to take Lipoflavinoids, which are vitamins my ENT suggested that I take to try and combat the ringing. I don't know at this point whether it is mostly the withdrawal effects easing or whether the vitamins are a large contributor. I will continue taking the Lipoflavinoids for a few more months; though it's expensive, it's better than the ringing was.

In other respects I am doing much, much better. There are no more withdrawal symptoms. I feel more like myself/better than I have in a couple years. I have some moments of sadness because I can see that I have a lot of rebuilding to do (I need to find a job and it's not just a new job but a whole career shift). Nevertheless, even having the energy to be sad and think about finding a job and working is progress. Most days, I'm in a good place, and my husband is so happy to see me feeling good.

It does get better.

i remember your post back in october .......that you are going to go crazy and

now you are healed. thats fantastic and i am really happy for you. :smitten:

I am 6.5 months off and my tinnitus (aka "brain buzz") is by far my worst symptom. I'm going to check into those lipoflavanoids and see if they help me. I don't care about the cost. I'll pay a thousand dollars if I have to in order to decrease my tinnitus, which is in my brain, not my ears. I was surprised t read that a constant high-pitched squealing in the center of my brain is a very common side effect of benzo w/d and that it's actually tinnitus, not something wrong with my brain!

Thanks for the tip about the vitamins!

Hi all! I have brain buzzing BAD! Also insomnia and pain. I tried the lipoflavinoids. They made my stomach burn worse. I couldn't tolerate them.  :(

I'm almost 2 years off.

Best,

Bear

Well, I hope my experience is better than Bear's. I spent $25 to have 100 of the 1,000 mg lipoflavanoids shipped to me by amazon.com. They will be here tomorrow. If this thread is still active, I'll post on Sunday or Monday about any improvement/side effects. At this point I'm willing to try ANYTHING! (except, of course, benzos, which is what many sites say is the recommended, SHORT TERM, treatment for tinnitus!

The lipoflavanoids I ordered came early yesterday. I took two 1,000 mg caplets (they're HUGE!), one at lunch and one at dinner, as it says to take with meals. Stomach upset seems to be the biggest side effect, so I'm making sure to take with meals.

So far I've not noticed anything new, but it's only been one day. If things DO change, I'll be sure to post something, as I know a lot of people have issues with tinnitus. In reading the reviews at amazon.com, it seemed that about half the people got relief and half the people said these were essentially placebos, so I'll see which half I end up being a part of...

Well, I hope my experience is better than Bear's. I spent $25 to have 100 of the 1,000 mg lipoflavanoids shipped to me by amazon.com. They will be here tomorrow. If this thread is still active, I'll post on Sunday or Monday about any improvement/side effects. At this point I'm willing to try ANYTHING! (except, of course, benzos, which is what many sites say is the recommended, SHORT TERM, treatment for tinnitus!

Just so you know, the tinnitus improved *slowly* as I took the lipoflavinoids. The doctor's sample actually helped within two days, but then I had four or five days before I found more in a drug store, and the ringing came back. After I started up again, it took about two weeks for the ringing to subside again. I am going to make sure that I don't run out again--I'll stay stocked up. Anyway, just don't expect it will be instantaneous relief. I hope it does help you, too, though.

I didn't have any stomach upset. I take mine before bed, though, so it may be that if there is any, I just sleep through it. Can't say I noticed any during the day when I took it in the morning, though.

The lipoflavanoids I ordered came early yesterday. I took two 1,000 mg caplets (they're HUGE!), one at lunch and one at dinner, as it says to take with meals. Stomach upset seems to be the biggest side effect, so I'm making sure to take with meals.

So far I've not noticed anything new, but it's only been one day. If things DO change, I'll be sure to post something, as I know a lot of people have issues with tinnitus. In reading the reviews at amazon.com, it seemed that about half the people got relief and half the people said these were essentially placebos, so I'll see which half I end up being a part of...

I hope they help. I can certainly say that the relief they gave me was not a placebo effect--it was quite marked when I went off it for a week and then went back on (though as I said above the improvement was gradual).

Those vitamins are meant to help people with Meniere's disease (sp) so they probably only treat tinnitus from a chemical imbalance. If someone has tinnitus from damage (loud noises, etc), I don't think there would be any way that they could help.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks, notgleeful. I didn't think they'd do anything in just one day, although I didn't know for sure.

I'm all too familiar with tinnitus from loud noises. I had it for years (not as bad as it is now!) and it slowly went away in the summer of 1999, but then, so did my hearing. I've been wearing hearing aids since the fall of 1999. My dad said my grandmother and great-grandmother both lost much of their hearing in their 40s, which is when I lost mine.

This tinnitus is more based in my brain than in my ears, but it's definitely caused by the benzos. I'll just wait and see how the lipoflavanoids work... Thanks, again.

Out of general apathy towards spending money, I've been getting some citrus flavanoids (which are the ones you want for this, apparently) just by eating pieces of organic lemon/lime rinds. I don't know if it does anything or not, but the times that I've seen some improvements do somewhat correlate with doing this more.

Tex...really hope you see some improvement over the next 1-2 weeks. I also am going to purchase some..as I have. Menniers Disease (the reason I was prescribed the ativan in the first place)....I would also pay whatever it takes to relieve ear s/x....good luck Tex...I will be watching for your posts regarding your run with the lipoflavinoids....coop

Those vitamins are meant to help people with Meniere's disease (sp) so they probably only treat tinnitus from a chemical imbalance. If someone has tinnitus from damage (loud noises, etc), I don't think there would be any way that they could help.

thanks for that - as I was haphazardly diagnosed with that several years ago.

No one mentions the vits....just more ativan, as it's first line of defense with tinnitus in my world of doctors.  My noise is like Tex's....it's in my head. Occasionally I get the deaf for a minute, high pitch noise in ear. Gone in 30 seconds. Head noise can cause a lot of problem....frustration, anxiety, anger, unruly behaviour. I'll stop on that.

Those vits will be gotten on next trip to shop.

Cheers!