Can't take this much longer!

[Co...]

Been a little over 3 months and the last 2 weeks I feel like I've been in acute wd again. For some reason I am craving alcohol and I haven't had a drink in several years! Craving Valium too. This burning skin is God awful, it keeps me awake all night long! I'm taking Depakote but only 375 mg as I was trying to taper off of it. Now I'm thinking of raising the dose to get some relief, if it will even do that for me. I'm really losing it here. Ice cold feet, buzzing, shaking, chills, bad floaters and raging tinnitus, AAAHHHHHH!!!!  :idiot:  :tickedoff:

I know it's terrible. You are at 'crunch' time when the body really does a lot of healing now that it really knows that it's not getting the drug any more. It should ease up again soon, though whether it will be days, weeks or months I can't say. I had a very bad four days where I was so weak I could hardly speak. When I woke up on the fifth day i thought, "This has to pass soon, doesn't it?" That was the day I went back to 'normal' again. My heart goes out to you!  :smitten:

Thanks frus. It's been a while since I had a window and it's really wearing me down. I'm so depressed especially with Christmas so close. You sound dead on when you say the body realizes it not getting anymore drug.

You are in perhaps the toughest stretch Cool!  I know my alcohol cravings were insane!

Treat benzo withdrawal like sobriety. One day at a time.  Practise prayer and meditation. This too shall pass.

If you're worried about the alcohol, reach out for help to your local AA group. They'd be happy to help you stay on track

Drink plenty of water. Have you tried Epsom salts baths?  It may help the burning skin.

Take care  :thumbsup:

You're coming up on a point, at about 4 months, where it gets easy -- at least for a while. Then it gets hard again at about 5-6 months. I'm at 6.5 months and I'm just exhausted from the raging brain buzz and tinnitus. If those would go away, I think I might be OK.

Hang in there. There really is no option. You've come to far to give up, so just please find a way to keep on pushing...one day at a time!

Stress, whether it's physical, emotional or mental, will end windows and bring on waves.  Do whatever is in your power to reduce your stress while you're recovering.  It makes life so much easier.

Challis  :)

You raise a great point Challis. This is such a tough time of year when stress is up. Exercise is so key. Fresh air. Nature. Anything to lower stress! :thumbsup:

You raise a great point Challis. This is such a tough time of year when stress is up. Exercise is so key. Fresh air. Nature. Anything to lower stress! :thumbsup:

Yes, the holidays can be especially aggravating on so many levels.  It's not a bad idea to hold if things get rough.  I held from Thanksgiving until after New Year's Eve when I was tapering. 

I need to start walking, I think I will tomorrow morning. I've been eating a lot healthier lately when I do eat but I think I need exercise. I'm a little stressed about the holidays but it's because I think I'm gonna be sick for them and bring everyone else down with me. I hope I have a little window just for Christmas day at least.

I had my days where I liked to drink alcohol but never was an alcoholic. I could take it or leave it. I still think AA/NA is good for support through this misery and I have looked into it before. I will try going to a meeting and see how it goes. Thanks for the responses guys and I hope you all feel better soon too.

BTW, I upped my dose of Depakote and the burning skin went away almost instantly. Has to be more than a coincidence, right? I also took a beta blocker this afternoon and it calmed me way down but they make me depressed. I guess that's the trade off every once in a while.

Glad to gear things are working out for you Cool. Like u I drank too much at one point in life. Not an alcoholic either. But in going to AA I connected with a number of people in benzo withdrawal. They commonly put alcoholics on benzos when they detox. Then they have to get off the benzos later. So if you attend a mtg, you may find some in person support for benzo withdrawal!

Better days could be just around the bend, it's like that on benzo w/d. I've had wave just like what you describe, each and every sx.

There's no other sensible option but to hang in there, all those sxs will pass but you need to be patient. If there was a Nobel prize for patience I'm sure a lot of the candidates should come from this forum.

Walking is a great idea, it will quiet your mind and help you reduce stress. Also eating healthy is key, hit the fruits and vegs, when sxs get worse eating light meals but more often has helped me a lot.