Can anyone give me an idea of what their diet is?

[DG...]

Hi There,

Most of us having trouble with foods that cause benzo side effects to flare up tend to eat a whole foods diet as much as possible.

No prepackaged foods with MSG or preservatives

No refined carbs or sugars

No caffeine

No alcohol

Try to eat most of your meals cooked from home from good quality fresh meats, veggies, whole grains and low sugar fruits.  Limit dairy if it bothers you, stay away from cruciferous vegetables if they bother you, steer clear of bottled dressings and seasonings, and limit sweets and snack foods.

Some people have no problem eating whatever they want, but a lot of us have to closely watch our diets to prevent side effect flare ups.

Good Luck!

Just good, healthy food during withdrawal, and after.  I did/do drink a moderate amount of coffee.  I love coffee, and it helped my cog fog, but that's an individual decision.  Extreme diets can cause problems in themselves, such as too much weight loss (some weight loss is normal, it will come back later). 

:thumbsup:

I got rid of a lot of dairy all grains and eat mostly animal protein and raw vegetables. Like others said try to avoid pre packaged products like hot dogs, etc. Lots of water. I am pretty much on atkins minus the dairy.

Just good, healthy food during withdrawal, and after.  I did/do drink a moderate amount of coffee.  I love coffee, and it helped my cog fog, but that's an individual decision.  Extreme diets can cause problems in themselves, such as too much weight loss (some weight loss is normal, it will come back later). 

:thumbsup:

We are all so different.

I have to underscore staying away from caffeine and alcohol unless you know they won't be a problem.

I can drink a little bit, but I can't go near caffeine.

Other people are the opposite. A cup of coffee is fine, but one glass of wine or one bottle of beer ups their symptoms to something awful.

I think it is best to keep a checklist of foods and mark down anything that might be causing a problem. I've found the WEIRDEST things set me off, things I would never expect to have a problem from.

Whole foods.  Real food.  I stay away from packaged stuff as MSG is everywhere.

I keep away from sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.

Some foods can slow or speed drug clearing, such as crucifers.

None of these are set in stone.  Test them to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

During my taper and hopefully after my taper,

I have been eating foods with less than 3 ingredients in them. So pretty much "clean eating". I feel so

much better when i eat good. If I eat crap..I feel like crap/if I eat good I feel good and so on.

I have a feeling when this is all done I will have incorporated a healthy diet.

To sum up my diet though:

Dark green veggies (lots of salads)

Sunflower seeds raw unshelled

Beans of all sorts for fiber

Flaxseed (3-4 Tbsp daily)

Eggs for breakfast always !!

Grilled chicken

Turkey breast for rollups

Brown rice

Unless I want to set back by taper for 1-2 weeks I would avoid MSG, Salt, Alcohol, Sugar, Artificial Sugar, Soda , Caffine blah blah blah

my survive fitness diet:

meal 1:

2 whole eggs , 2 egg whites , half onion

2 slices brown bread , banana multi vit , fish oils , vit c , l arginine

meal 2:

white rice , chicken , vegetables

meal 3:

brow rice , chicken vegetables

meal 4:

white rice fish vegetables

meal 5:

beef , some fruit

meal 6:

500ml milk , nuts (30m before zma tabs (zinc , magnesium) , l arginine.

+2-3l water a day

Hi,

I am eating a hypoglycemia diet.  I eat nothing processed except one slice of low carb bread - just started that this week.

I eat either olives or avocado with each meal for the good fats help keep the sugar levels more even.  I have cut out fruit except just a very small amount.  Maybe a slice of apple, or a few blueberries but always with a meal.  Protein is so important, but the hardest to eat when you feel your sugar is dropped.  Eggs, meat - all antibiotic free. 

So with each meal I have protein, low carbs and good fats.  With every snack I try to have just a few bites of each of those things also.  I know when I get balanced = I feel well and calm.

Each night before I go to sleep I eat 1/4 avocado.  This has helped tremendously from me waking with heart palpitations during the night just a few hours after I fell to sleep.  The fat in the avocado keeps the blood sugar from dropping and the body naturally sending out insulin to increase it.  After I started eating the avocado at bed I was able to start sleeping thru the night. Most nights I don't even wake to use the restroom.  This is my biggest successful tip - at least for me.  No more night terrors with heart racing.

Healing to all of us,

Sally  :angel:

I avoid processed foods to the best of my ability.

I try to not eat meat when I eat out, because I know that most meats restaurants use (even higher end restaurants) are below my standard. When I buy meat to cook for myself, I get organic/free range/antibiotic free meat. It's expensive, and that's fine with me compared to the alternative.

I try to mostly subsist on plants, with some meat tossed in for protein. It's hard. I still eat too much sugar.

I'd like to add that some people are able to (and need to) eat eggs, fish, fish oil, and vitamins. Others, like me, have a bad reaction to those things. I'm now able to eat dark leafy greens, but have to go easy on them. To determine what you can eat at the moment, maybe use trial-and-error. After you've achieved stability for some time, if you want to introduce more food variety, maybe use trial-and-error again. And so on.

If you live in an area that is very health-food conscious and understands the dangers of pharmaceuticals, eating in restaurants might be possible (if you're currently able to go outside and be around people). The school I attend has a culinary arts program/cafe that works hard to accommodate customers' special needs, and it sources a lot of its food organically and locally.

I cook most of my food. I buy locally grown organic meat. It's less expensive because it doesn't have to be shipped hundreds/thousands of miles. If organic meat in your area is very expensive, maybe consider cutting other costs in your life to achieve a budget balance. I'm low-income; I rarely buy clothes, and have had to forgo movie rentals. When I finish my certificate and am working, I'll be able to afford luxuries.

I hope that helps.  ;)